Why are your thoughts on 20 million dollar prize pool of Dota 2?

LongQuaDynasty

The International has started and it is the biggest prize pool an esports game has ever gotten. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Dota 2 is overrated/underrated? I personally enjoy playing Dota 2 even though I know I will never be able to get as good as competitive pro players. But what do you, as an esports player, think this tournament will bring to the esports community?

maxresdefault.jpg  

Just now, LongQuaDynasty said:

The International has started and it is the biggest prize pool an esports game has ever gotten. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Dota 2 is overrated/underrated? I personally enjoy playing Dota 2 even though I know I will never be able to get as good as competitive pro players. But what do you, as an esports player, think this tournament will bring to the esports community?

maxresdefault.jpg  

Absolutely stupid.

I would be fine with that money being in Rocket League (their world final is only $55000)

Rocket League, like CSGO takes years of practice.

Dota is just point and click for the most part

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

Absolutely stupid.

I would be fine with that money being in Rocket League (their world final is only $55000)

Aren't all games just pointing and clicking?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Aren't all games just pointing and clicking?

Dude, have you ever played Rocket Leauge

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

370 hours in Rocket League and still nowhere near pro level here: Can confirm this game is crazy hard. Although I play with a mouse/keyboard because I'm weird. However I would like to say I played LoL for 2 years and it was pretty hard. If DOTA is as hard as League I think it's pretty justified, but I've never played it so I can't say for sure.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

9 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

No, but I'm pretty sure you use your mouse to click on things that are displayed on your monitor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The big bunch of the prize pool comes from compendium sales, just shows tons of people actually supports the game.

5 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Absolutely stupid.

I am a rocket league player with over 600 hours, I am a csgo player with 1000 hours, I am not a Dota player and i have only played a little league of legends as the entirety of the moba experience and i don't like it. Regardless of all this i can still tell you that saying that Dota 2 is just a 'point and click' is an ignorant thing to say. Those games have loads of complexity's from the character selection to the build, to the movement and coordination of all the players on your team, to being able to tell whats going on in a team fight and react accordingly (seriously this is not an easy thing to do). 

To answer the question about the huge prize pool just simply that I don't see the harm in a huge prize pool.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

21 hours ago, Spork829 said:

370 hours in Rocket League and still nowhere near pro level here: Can confirm this game is crazy hard. Although I play with a mouse/keyboard because I'm weird. However I would like to say I played LoL for 2 years and it was pretty hard. If DOTA is as hard as League I think it's pretty justified, but I've never played it so I can't say for sure.

I have played more than 1500 hours of Dota 2 and I even tried playing LoL but couldn't get to learning about the items and what the spells do. If you are a good player at LoL Dota 2 should be a pretty easy transition. They have a lot of similar champions/heroes like Ashe in LoL is Drow Ranger in Dota 2. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think LoL is pay to win. You can buy better heroes while in Dota 2 all heroes are free and unlocked. 

3 hours ago, LongQuaDynasty said:

I have played more than 1500 hours of Dota 2 and I even tried playing LoL but couldn't get to learning about the items and what the spells do. If you are a good player at LoL Dota 2 should be a pretty easy transition. They have a lot of similar champions/heroes like Ashe in LoL is Drow Ranger in Dota 2. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think LoL is pay to win. You can buy better heroes while in Dota 2 all heroes are free and unlocked. 

lol isnt pay to win. Not to say that all champions in lol are equal but no champ is made to be better than another certain champ. you can buy more champs using ingame money that you get for playing a lot of games. 

if baseball players can make 20mil a year i don't see a problem with the world championships being 20mill. It results in higher stake games and better players

16 hours ago, LongQuaDynasty said:

LoL is a bit pay to win. There is a free champion rotation each week, where 10 champions are free to play that week even if you don't own them. However to permanently own one and always be able to play it, you must buy them. You can use ingame currency, but it takes a while (anywhere from like 3-20 matches) to get enough to buy one that way. Otherwise it's a few dollars. But yes that system is fairly pay to win as you have to play for a VERY long time before you can play ranked comfortably if you don't want to spend any money. One of the many reasons I stopped playing that game.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

On 8/5/2016 at 1:26 AM, UberGamerKing said:

Absolutely stupid.

Maybe you should do some research on the players in the tournament before you make such an "Absolutely stupid" suggestion like this. Some of these players have been playing for a decade. 

I am a CS:GO player as well, but Dota 2 blows the titles you suggest away when it comes to hero/item knowledge, strategies, drafting etc. 

Last year's prize pool was 18.4 million and the year before it was 10 million. So the increase from last year to this year isn't nearly as big as the change from TI4 to TI5. So most Dota players aren't as blown away from the money as much as we were last year but it's still a ton of money and it's just great to see the competitive scene doing so well. I have been playing Dota 2 for around 2 years and have 1350 hours in it and my MMR (Match Making Ranking) is still only 2000 (which is average/below average) so I find it a bit funny to see people suggest the game is easy considering people have been playing Dota for around a decade and are still learning new things at the competitive level. The game is super complex and is not a game you can play at the competitive level by just being an individually skilled player. It requires a lot of practice with your team and it is really enjoyable to watch at the competitive level once you understand how much work the teams have put into watching replays, scrimming with other teams, developing their unique strategies based on the current patch along with a host of other variables, etc.

I do not play Rocket League, CS:GO, or League so I'm not going to took like a fool (like others in this thread) and try to claim one is easier/harder than the other and deserves more recognition. They all have the their good points that appeal to many gamers and I'm sure they are all great games, they just don't appeal to me so I can only offer my opinion on Dota 2.

Big Prize pool is really good. Very healthy for the sport. I watch Both Starcraft 2 and Dota pro games and tournaments. It is really fun. But Starcraft 2's small prize pools make it harder to get excited. While last years 6 Million Dollar Echo SLAM ..........the feelings were so real. 

Big Prize pool means game is healthy in terms of business model and community. And Dota 2 is very Hard game. Honestly I am glad as a supporter of the sport that by buying Compendiums and hats it goes towards the players and  organisation that makes the stuff possible. 

2M2laY1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Riot needs to up their game. It's been 1m first place for like the past 4 years. I don't know why they don't crowdfund, all their excuses are bs.

On 8/5/2016 at 10:56 AM, UberGamerKing said:

Absolutely stupid.

its not just point and click ,u have to understand the game mechanics and play it .

Large prize pool for Dota 2 comes from compendiums sales, so as long as Valve does things to keep and increase their consumer base, prize pools will only get larger and larger, plus a large prize pool attracts people who want to try and play the game professionally so player base kind of increases when they see those $$$. 

So yeah, tho I think we'll see some kind of stagnation or dip in the prize pool in the years to come.

I've played over 4000 hours of dota 2, and I am no where near pro level. It is a lot more complex than you'd think. The prize pool is fine since the majority of it comes from players buying in game cosmetics. There's nothing wrong with a mostly player funded tournament reaching really high numbers, I personally think it's great.

On 2016-08-05 at 7:26 AM, UberGamerKing said:

Absolutely stupid.

That is extremely ignorant, considering every single professional player (and every single top-leaderboard player) has many many years of playing, many played for a decade, I'd say most played that long or nearly that long. CS:GO doesn't take nearly as much practice and I'm assuming neither does RL. There is so much to understand behind the game that you might think you know the game well after a year of playing, but then after another year you realize you didn't know much at all. While Dota does have a lot of mechanical skills, the things that matter the most is knowledge and intelligence. Mechanical skills alone won't get you far at all, while it certainly can in both Rocket League and CSGO. I don't know how much time you've spent playing Dota or LoL or any such game, but I highly doubt it's much.

It just shows how crazy the DOTA community a twenty million dollar prize pool... That means about 80 million dollars worth of sale of  the compendium, and international related stuff.. WOW!!

This means that LoL is getting irrelevant and makes room for the true champion which is Dota 2.