AMD Caught Using Dirty Tricks

afa7336

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Cmon-man-Do-you-really-think-your-technically-inclined-customers-arent-going-catch

Basically it is to do with the DVI to HDMI adapter, and FORCING you to use one that only AMD provides.

Why would you use HDMI anyway??

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

To connect to a television or monitor with audio source that supports it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

DVI FTW!

Who cares about HDMI?

I thought they payed up some company to make games optimized under AMD card, but only this?

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

You can't stop the nvidia hate wagon.

Huh? This has nothing to do with Nvidia?

There are several monitors that actually don't use DVI, and use HDMI exclusively. Lets look at the ASUS MX279H for instance. Also TVs and the such.

There are several monitors that actually don't use DVI, and use HDMI exclusively. Lets look at the ASUS MX279H for instance. Also TVs and the such.

It was interesting how you post something about a flaw in AMD marketing, when yesterday you were talking about an "nvidia hate wagon" forming around the thread that said nvidia limited 3 monitors on Linux

Just something I thought was mildly funny.

Not as bad as Nvidia paying a Custom building pc company not to sell AMD GPU's.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

considering this only applies using HDMI to DVi I'm not bothered, GPU has a native HDMI on it, if you need it use that.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Proof? Whoops, there is none. Covered this one already so won't repeat it.

To connect to a television or monitor with audio source that supports it.

And if you play on a TV then you should not be building your own PC's.  1080p above 27 inches looks ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

HDMI is such an inferior signal and causes issues with scaling, wouldn't even consider it

This ^^^

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Proof? Whoops, there is none. Covered this one already so won't repeat it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/62886-origin-pc-was-paid-handsomely-to-remove-amd-gpu-options/

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

And if you play on a TV then you should not be building your own PC's.  1080p above 27 inches looks ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

HDMI is such an inferior signal and causes issues with scaling, wouldn't even consider it

This ^^^

Somewhat offensive to me seeing as I have a 19" TV as a secondary/speakers. Also, HDMI puts out the same signal as DVI, and HDMI has HDCP support.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Meh, though this is in no way a good thing, I think that this effects a total of maybe 10% of the people that I know, the rest just run a 3.5mm cable to their speakers.

"No signature"

Somewhat offensive to me seeing as I have a 19" TV as a secondary/speakers. Also, HDMI puts out the same signal as DVI, and HDMI has HDCP support.

Should buy a cheap pair of speakers :)

It was interesting how you post something about a flaw in AMD marketing, when yesterday you were talking about an "nvidia hate wagon" forming around the thread that said nvidia limited 3 monitors on Linux

Just something I thought was mildly funny.

I saw the article come across twitter, and I posted it. I was actually posting a tweet to a friend when I saw it. I checked, it wasn't on here, so I posted it. Did I show any bias in this? Nope, I didn't. Is what happened exactly what I said, yes. The tweet, you want a screen shot of my feed? Did you read the article? I have a feeling, I doubt pcper which used to be an AMD site before the change over is biased towards Nvidia, unless of course you can prove me wrong? I posted the beaver story last night, guess I was biased towards non beavers for that?

If you don't understand the implications, shall I spell it out for you. Or you can read the article, that might help too. 

Good you found it, now go towards the last few pages and read my and other posts in it. I think you might find it informative. And btw, Semiaccurate isn't exactly the best source for news.

I saw the article come across twitter, and I posted it. I was actually posting a tweet to a friend when I saw it. I checked, it wasn't on here, so I posted it. Did I show any bias in this? Nope, I didn't. Is what happened exactly what I said, yes. The tweet, you want a screen shot of my feed? Did you read the article? I have a feeling, I doubt pcper which used to be an AMD site before the change over is biased towards Nvidia, unless of course you can prove me wrong? I posted the beaver story last night, guess I was biased towards non beavers for that?

If you don't understand the implications, shall I spell it out for you. Or you can read the article, that might help too. 

Good you found it, now go towards the last few pages and read my and other posts in it. I think you might find it informative. And btw, Semiaccurate isn't exactly the best source for news.

I'm getting the sense you're getting rather defensive. I wasn't accusing you of anything, I just thought it was funny.

OMG. well whatever, i hated AMD anyway.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

uhhhhhhh there is already a HDMI on the R290x natively, Its not like apple where the connecter is sold seperately after you buy the card, they at least have the sense to throw it in. Not to mention this is probably nessary due to being an active converter adapter and probably has something to do with the new on board audio. Talk about grasping at straws this is so minor of a problem that most wont even notice it. Hell Id rather use DVI anyways.

Uhhh who cares? This is pretty meaningless...

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I wonder if this was AMD dipping their toes in the water to test how much bull customers will put up with.

I wonder if this was AMD dipping their toes in the water to test how much bull customers will put up with.

I dunno, but the fact that there is a driver check should send alarm bells out to anyone.

uhhhhhhh there is already a HDMI on the R290x natively, Its not like apple where the connecter is sold seperately after you buy the card, they at least have the sense to throw it in. Not to mention this is probably nessary due to being an active converter adapter and probably has something to do with the new on board audio. Talk about grasping at straws this is so minor of a problem that most wont even notice it. Hell Id rather use DVI anyways.

^This

So you idiots are telling me you want to run 3 HDMI cables because you need 3 audio sources from 3 monitors? Just buy a fucking pair of surround speakers for god's sake.