Are SSDs really worth it at today's prices?

3 minutes ago, MicrosoftCertTechnician said:

Is it that hard to wait an extra minute to copy a file or load a game?

They make everything faster. It's not just a matter of waiting, it's being able to more things in a given amount of time.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

yes, it is worth the investment. just get a 250gb drive, make it a boot drive with some games and programs, and you don't have to waste time waiting for windows to boot up or a program to start up. 

For certain smaller files, no.

For larger files, YAS!

It just makes the whole computer snappier and more responsive.

Flash memory is at an all time low so I don't where the "today's prices" is coming from. SSDs help with the responsiveness of the OS as well. Hell they can make old hardware seem very fast when it comes to normal use.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Well if you play FPS shooters and notice a lag spike, that's when a texture file or other file needs to be loaded before it can continue. That's the difference between you dying or the enemy dying when you turned that corner. You also load into games faster, windows feels more responsive, and using your computer feels like new. It's also more energy efficient, lighter and shock resistant, which for laptops is a must.

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

Yes yes yes yes yes.

They were so much more expensive when I first built my computer - and now that they've dropped in price so much, I'd pick one up for any build I do in the future.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Are they worth it at today's prices? A couple of years back a 60GB!! SSD was only $80. The time spent waiting for a hard drive to spin up is the amount of time an SSD will get the job done.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, MicrosoftCertTechnician said:

You could ask why we even bothered with hard drives when floppies were "just fine" back in the day.

It all depends on what you're doing too. The operating system and its programs tend to be very small in file transfer size but very large in quantity. Having an SSD's response time immensely cuts down on loading time moreso than its bandwidth.

Yes. Hands down, an SSD is absolutely worth it, especially as the OS drive. For serious gamers, there are a fair amount of titles that will benefit from being installed on an SSD as well. But even for everyday users, the difference in system responsiveness is undeniable. 

Yes.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming | CPU: R7 2700X | Cooler: Wraith Prism | Ram:  Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB DDR4 | GPU: EVGA 1060 3GB  | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + WD 1TB Black | Case: NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower Case(Red&Black)

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You could ask why we even bothered with hard drives when floppies were "just fine" back in the day.

It all depends on what you're doing too. The operating system and its programs tend to be very small in file transfer size but very large in quantity. Having an SSD's response time immensely cuts down on loading time moreso than its bandwidth.

I agree, (I'm all for SSDs), but, at least Floppy to Optical/HDDs made SENSE, as HDDs and Optical were more consistent performers, not _as_ many complex ordeals, (No metal flaps to move, no floppy magnetic potato magic) and could store WAY more data.

SSDs Store LESS data than a convention hard drive of the same price, however, the speed benefits are how it pays for itself.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

10 minutes ago, MicrosoftCertTechnician said:

Let me put it to you this way.

Would you rather have something load within minutes or within seconds?

Whilst an SSD isn't THAT good usually, SSDs are fast enough to warrant the price, and they don't slow down the same way HDDs so. Seriously, it's something that's felt easily in daily life. Operating systems load much quicker, you can count the number of seconds programs load on one hand, occasionally two if it's something like a game engine, and all in all it's worth it.

But let's be honest here - it's not especially useful for games. Short of faster loading times, there isn't really a benefit for games at all. Buy a 120GB or 250GB SSD, install an OS on it, and tell me that it's not faster than a HDD, especially an old one.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

20 minutes ago, MicrosoftCertTechnician said:

When you can restart your PC in less than 30 seconds instead of about two minutes, it can help a lot, and also load screens go by much quicker.

I'd hate to have to go back to using mechanical storage for everything. For some things it's nice when you need a lot of storage space, but for stuff like an OS and programs, an SSD is the way to go.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

13 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Well if you play FPS shooters and notice a lag spike, that's when a texture file or other file needs to be loaded before it can continue. That's the difference between you dying or the enemy dying when you turned that corner. You also load into games faster, windows feels more responsive, and using your computer feels like new. It's also more energy efficient, lighter and shock resistant, which for laptops is a must.

Maybe THAT's why I get a sudden unexplained few-second spike while gaming sometimes.  Well, it might depend on the game.  Fortress Forever is installed on an SSD, whereas TF2 is on a spinning hard drive.  (I can't remember which game I'm getting the occasional spikes in, it might be both though.)

It's not about that...

The OS is basically made of hundreds of programs, that will launch and open when you use it. For example when you open the file explorer look for a picture and open it, you will load different files from the disk. A SSD random reads (as well as writes) small files (pretty much the entire OS) blazingly fast. It's basically a speed boost for the entire system.

In my experience,hell yes.

I got an 240gb ssd,installed the OS and a few games (fo4,witcher 3), and man it was worth it.

Now i play witcher in the highest possible dificulty, and saying means waiting 10 seconds,not 1 minute. For heavy and immersive games,it is very good.

For some applications too, tough in my case i dont use anything that benefits much from ssd in this topic.

Oh,and the OS boots lightning fast, its great for overclock (a crash does not mean 3-5 minutes,but mere 20 seconds)

And for notebooks, boot times are a big deal since you turn them off all the time, unlike desktops.

I Just think big SSDs are oerkill in most cases, i REALLY dont understand why someone would want 960 gigabytes of ssd storage, since files like music,movies and games (that you are not currently playing) wont benefits much from the speed. But ppl in this fórum are storage freaks, i watche LOTS of móvies and séries and never used more than 700GB in my whole system

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

58 minutes ago, Taja said:

In my experience,hell yes.

I got an 240gb ssd,installed the OS and a few games (fo4,witcher 3), and man it was worth it.

Now i play witcher in the highest possible dificulty, and saying means waiting 10 seconds,not 1 minute. For heavy and immersive games,it is very good.

For some applications too, tough in my case i dont use anything that benefits much from ssd in this topic.

Oh,and the OS boots lightning fast, its great for overclock (a crash does not mean 3-5 minutes,but mere 20 seconds)

And for notebooks, boot times are a big deal since you turn them off all the time, unlike desktops.

I Just think big SSDs are oerkill in most cases, i REALLY dont understand why someone would want 960 gigabytes of ssd storage, since files like music,movies and games (that you are not currently playing) wont benefits much from the speed. But ppl in this fórum are storage freaks, i watche LOTS of móvies and séries and never used more than 700GB in my whole system

Size always matters... Even when talking about something in nanometers.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Yes, especially how cheap they are now...I remember back in 2012, paying $400 for 240GB (Plextor M2 something...roughly 350-400 MB/s) and the speed up is immense. These days you can get that for roughly $120-140 with the 850 Evo. Also, if you have a laptop, the vibration resistance is something you don't want to give up.

I've converted nearly all of my friends to SSDs (even ones who just browse online / do Office related stuff) and they've noticeably "gained" more speed than other upgrades. It isn't cheap compared to everything else, but it's well worth it.

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Size always matters... Even when talking about something in nanometers.

I agree when talkin about inovation, because if the limits are not pushed farther, we get stuck in one place.

But I PERSONALLY dont see the need for giant SSDs in personal computers, you can have an ssd + hdd (mass storage) and the difference will be ZERO (well,you have to manage two drives, but anyway).

Thats Just me tough, i will not say ppl what to do, People here like to get 4 titan x to play Dota on 1080p, i will cringe but the money is not mine...

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

4 hours ago, Taja said:

I agree when talkin about inovation, because if the limits are not pushed farther, we get stuck in one place.

But I PERSONALLY dont see the need for giant SSDs in personal computers, you can have an ssd + hdd (mass storage) and the difference will be ZERO (well,you have to manage two drives, but anyway).

Thats Just me tough, i will not say ppl what to do, People here like to get 4 titan x to play Dota on 1080p, i will cringe but the money is not mine...

It's extremely useful for video editing. If you've ever tried editing footage that's stored on a hard drive compared to storage on an SSD, the difference is immediately noticeable.

I agree with you that it's pointless for general media like movies and music though.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yes, especially how cheap they are now...I remember back in 2012, paying $400 for 240GB (Plextor M2 something...roughly 350-400 MB/s) and the speed up is immense. These days you can get that for roughly $120-140 with the 850 Evo. Also, if you have a laptop, the vibration resistance is something you don't want to give up.

I bought a 480 GB Evo 850 last week for 130 €

The cost per GB up to the 1TB SSDs isn't that bad, they are absolutely worth it. The SATA SSDs represent a pretty good comprise between cost and speed. For general home use and gaming I think the PCI-E drives are a little trickier to justify though, especially if you working to a budget.