Dbrand skins: are they as good as they seem?

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
2 minutes ago, 13CA350 said:

When you say "Easy to get off" is it in such a way that it won't come off whenever, only when you like pry it off with a knife or something?

I could but a little extra money isn't a big deal for me, and besides they seem like a good company and they help out LMG so I might as well support them

You can pry it off with your fingernail but it shouldn't come off during regular use.

It is pre-cut so that makes it harder to apply straight but less dangerous to your device since you don't need to worry about accidentally scratching it with a knife.

After seeing the b-roll of the Dbrand skins here and hearing what Linus and the others have to say about them, I'm considering getting one of their skins. I'm likely going to be getting a 13" 2015 Macbook Pro soon and I want a skin to protect it against minor scratches and stuff. 

Are they easy to apply? I'm really good with screen protectors but I've never applied a skin over such a large surface before. Maybe some of you could provide some insight

I had some for my S6 edge and they were awesome, easy to get of when needed and of the highest quality.

I just bought vinyl from amazon and put it on myself, then cut around the edges with a sharp knife.

Much cheaper, I got a 5ftx6ft roll for $25.

035.JPG

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

I had some for my S6 edge and they were awesome, easy to get of when needed and of the highest quality.

When you say "Easy to get off" is it in such a way that it won't come off whenever, only when you like pry it off with a knife or something?

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I just bought vinyl from amazon and put it on myself, then cut around the edges with a sharp knife.

Much cheaper, I got a 5ftx6ft roll for $25.

035.JPG

I could but a little extra money isn't a big deal for me, and besides they seem like a good company and they help out LMG so I might as well support them

Just now, 13CA350 said:

I could but an extra $20 isn't a big deal for me, and besides they seem like a good company and they help out LMG so I might as well support them

Oh yhh they never came off or moved around at all even with going in and out of my pocket loads but if you get your fingernail under the edge you could pull them off easily and with no residue.

2 minutes ago, 13CA350 said:

You can pry it off with your fingernail but it shouldn't come off during regular use.

It is pre-cut so that makes it harder to apply straight but less dangerous to your device since you don't need to worry about accidentally scratching it with a knife.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can also take it off and put it back on many times so it won't matter if you mess up a few times.

3 hours ago, 13CA350 said:

After seeing the b-roll of the Dbrand skins here and hearing what Linus and the others have to say about them, I'm considering getting one of their skins. I'm likely going to be getting a 13" 2015 Macbook Pro soon and I want a skin to protect it against minor scratches and stuff. 

Are they easy to apply? I'm really good with screen protectors but I've never applied a skin over such a large surface before. Maybe some of you could provide some insight

They are great! They are cut very precisely (which I'm sure you've heard), which makes you think it would be hard to install but it's really not. You can't destroy it- the skin re-sticks to a laptop like 20 times. I've even burned the skin with a hair drier when I was smoothing out the curves on my phone and I couldn't see anything after a day. 

9 hours ago, cbrugna said:

They are great! They are cut very precisely (which I'm sure you've heard), which makes you think it would be hard to install but it's really not. You can't destroy it- the skin re-sticks to a laptop like 20 times. I've even burned the skin with a hair drier when I was smoothing out the curves on my phone and I couldn't see anything after a day. 

Alright, I think I'm sold!

1 hour ago, 13CA350 said:

Alright, I think I'm sold!

Now don't do as Linus did with the iPhone SE and choose a terrible color scheme.

Pick colours which contrast each other and look classy.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Now don't do as Linus did with the iPhone SE and choose a terrible color scheme.

Pick colours which contrast each other and look classy.

I'm most likely going to get black carbon fiber for the top/ bottom and maybe the trackpad

13 hours ago, 13CA350 said:

I'm most likely going to get black carbon fiber for the top/ bottom and maybe the trackpad

They actually have one of the best best customer service I've seen. I order a S6 black carbon fiber. They sent me a S6 edge one. I showed them how it wouldn't fit through photos and emailed them, and they sent the correct one over the next day. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p