The real reason why lavabit shutdown

summed it up =D

and this is not a dupe post because i put dah reason why he shut down 

http://www.eteknix.com/lavabit-gave-fbi-4pt-font-2560-character-ssl-keys-fbi-didnt-see-the-funny-side/

http://www.vyralize.com/4834/lavabit-gives-fbi-the-middle-finger-with-2560-character-ssl-key-in-4pt-font-size/

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/10/lavabit_unsealed

lavabit was a private email service which provided encrypted emails and this is what snowden has been using

bascially fbi wanted the digital copy of all the passwords from lavabit so the owner ladar levison sent the fbi this

ssl-lavabit.jpg

so they decided to fine him 5000$ every day untill he gives the code 

his response shut down lavabit D= as a survelliance moot

acording to wired

The court has since ordered Levison to provide a more useful electronic copy. By August 5th, Lavabit was still resisting the order, and the judge ordered that Levison would be fined $5,000 a day beginning August 6th until he handed over electronic copies of the keys.

On August 8th, Levison shuttered Lavabit, making any attempt at surveillance moot. Still under a gag order, he posted an oblique message saying he’d been left with little choice in the matter.

i think this is quite funny

I know I am going to get hated on for this, but since this is near and dear to me, I'll be the first to say it. The US Government had a right to access Edward Snowdens accounts. He's a traitor, a scumbag, and should be shot to death for breaking the code.

I know I am going to get hated on for this, but since this is near and dear to me, I'll be the first to say it. The US Government had a right to access Edward Snowdens accounts. He's a traitor, a scumbag, and should be shot to death for breaking the code.

Well, everyone has their own opinions. I myself believe that he's a whistleblower but he shouldn't have released some documents.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

and thats why i dont plan on visiting that crazy country called the USA :D

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Well, everyone has their own opinions. I myself believe that he's a whistleblower but he shouldn't have released some documents.

and thats why i dont plan on visiting that crazy country called the USA  :D

Revealing classified  information or documents is a huge crime, and he knew it. He signed the documents, just like I did in the past. He's no different then Robert Hanssen. They both betrayed the oath they took, without a care in the world. If he had all this compassion for the truth, he'd be willing to stand a trial by his peers, but alas he went into hiding like a coward. But there is a right way, and a wrong way to blow the whistle. He chose the wrong way.

Revealing classified  information or documents is a huge crime, and he knew it. He signed the documents, just like I did in the past. He's no different then Robert Hanssen. They both betrayed the oath they took, without a care in the world. If he had all this compassion for the truth, he'd be willing to stand a trial by his peers, but alas he went into hiding like a coward. But there is a right way, and a wrong way to blow the whistle. He chose the wrong way.

theres a right way and a wrong way and i think not having to spend your life in prison is the right way

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I know I am going to get hated on for this

you're right. life is mostly gray but there are some lines between right and wrong.

What's lavabit? Non-american here

Private e-mail service.

u can tell your a redneck lol so your saying that bradley manning was wrong too? i completely disagree with you!

Probably because most informed people around the world (including the "good aul US of A") sees the guy a a whistle-blower and some even as a hero. He has put his safety and life on the line to bring the world information it wanted and needed

If this was something every country was doing, if this was something that was necessary and if this was something that most people were ok, why is there such a scandal? You do realise that when the majority of people want something their government should comply, seeing as they are supposed to be representing their people and not their interests or own opinions.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Nope, no and nuh-uh. The real traitor is and are the people of government that treat innocent citizens like criminals. The fact we even need things to be leaked to expose how corrupted they truly are is sickening.

You clearly lived a sheltered life to foolishly believe that every trial in this country is a fair trial by peers. I had to witness first hand insurmountable injustice that it made me loath the "legal system" that much more. The US government would have illegally put him away and he'd never be sheard from again, there wouldn't be any "trial of his peers". All because /they/ are the cowards for not wanting the citizens they are supposed to represent/protect to know about how dirty they are.

u can tell your a redneck lol so your saying that bradley manning was wrong too? i completely disagree with you!

Redneck? What does me happening to live in the South have to do with it? Could it be, maybe just maybe, I happen to have been in the Intelligence community prior to my leaving the Military? I guess maybe that statement predisposes me to thinking that you should keep your mouth shut about secrets, because when you talk real people can and probably will die. Everyone loves secrets, but no one ever looks at what we lose when secrets are revealed in the open. What information that was compromised, causes us to lose valuable pipelines of data.

*I've been out of the game long enough, I have no knowledge beyond anyone else here.

Probably because most informed people around the world (including the "good aul US of A") sees the guy a a whistle-blower and some even as a hero. He has put his safety and life on the line to bring the world information it wanted and needed

If this was something every country was doing, if this was something that was necessary and if this was something that most people were ok, why is there such a scandal? You do realise that when the majority of people want something their government should comply, seeing as they are supposed to be representing their people and not their interests or own opinions.

Was a lot of what was going on wrong? Yes. But what did revealing all this information cause? How much insight into terrorists, how many were we tracking, did we lose track of? Did they change tactics? We know the answer is yes. So by revealing it, we put ourselves in danger.

Nope, no and nuh-uh. The real traitor is and are the people of government that treat innocent citizens like criminals. The fact we even need things to be leaked to expose how corrupted they truly are is sickening.

You clearly lived a sheltered life to foolishly believe that every trial in this country is a fair trial by peers. I had to witness first hand insurmountable injustice that it made me loath the "legal system" that much more. The US government would have illegally put him away and he'd never be sheard from again, there wouldn't be any "trial of his peers". All because /they/ are the cowards for not wanting the citizens they are supposed to represent/protect to know about how dirty they are.

Sheltered? Yes, so sheltered getting shot at. So sheltered that I was in combat. So sheltered that when I was charged with a crime I didn't commit, I didn't run. I stood there during my military trial, and was found not guilty. And I let myself prove that I did nothing wrong. Please!

Now what is wrong with your statement that he would have been put away and never heard from, Manning? He's been heard from, but alas, people don't understand the true dangers to our Country, and the people that defend it, when you release classified information. I've lived it, until you do, its kinda hard to understand.

Again there is a right way to whistleblow, and a wrong way. He took the wrong path, and he's got to deal with it. If you can't own up to your own mistakes, what does that make you?

In my honest opinion, in a sense, the terrorists have already won. Look how far the US government has gone in the name of counterterrorism. They are willing to infringe all privacy in order to catch a couple of terrorists. Of course even those few terrorists can cause major damage but at what price are they caught? Does the future hold that in order to stop any kind of criminal activity, you have to do exactly like the govenment says and everything you do are being watched.

I don't thing Edward Snowden is a criminal. I'm not an american citizen but to my mind, it looks so absurd how these people are seen in the US. If the government is behaving badly and is doing stuff they shouldn't do, it shoud come to light. Just like the Iraq documents, which Wikileaks revealed and showed how innocent civilians are killed. Why these cases shouldn't come to light?

To someone outside the US, the acts that US is doing in the Middle East are so obvious. They are after oil and if they really wanted to make the world a better place, the approach would be totally different.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Was a lot of what was going on wrong? Yes. But what did revealing all this information cause? How much insight into terrorists, how many were we tracking, did we lose track of? Did they change tactics? We know the answer is yes. So by revealing it, we put ourselves in danger.

Anyone paranoid enough is already avoiding the systems that were revealed. As for what the US was tracking... if the US stopped policing the world their lives would be much easier tbh Most of what the NSA and other federal governments (oh and the recent wars) have achieved is line the pockets of certain people in the US and foster hatred and misstrust for the US. Not much good that I can see

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

He's a traitor, a scumbag, and should be shot to death for breaking the code.

.....yeah, the government was breaking the law. 

.....yeah, the government was breaking the law. 

Not really, as of now, its more of a nightmare of PR rather then legal laws being broken.

Anyone paranoid enough is already avoiding the systems that were revealed. As for what the US was tracking... if the US stopped policing the world their lives would be much easier tbh Most of what the NSA and other federal governments (oh and the recent wars) have achieved is line the pockets of certain people in the US and foster hatred and misstrust for the US. Not much good that I can see

You'd be surprised how hard it is to stay off the grid these days. But hey lets say we do what YOU want us to do. Next time someone flies a plane into a building, I want YOU to get on National TV and tell people not to do anything about it. Next time there is a terror attack, are you willing to tell the World don't do anything about it?

See the problem is that people want total privacy, want people not to do anything, and then get up in arms as people try to protect them. There is an old saying, from George Orwell that goes "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Sometimes people forget that. People forget that the world they live in, isn't filled with nice people. There are people that want to do us all harm. People that wouldn't blink an eye to blow up a school. Wouldn't mind, as we saw going into a Mall and killing every non Muslim in it. But we should just let it happen? Where are peoples morals, do people stand for anything these days?

*Edit: But lets do what you want, and apply it to history. Lets stay out of things. We tried that once, if you remember correctly. Hitler was pure evil, and we stayed out of it for so long. Look how that turned out. Would you still believe, if someone like Hitler (Which there are a few people I can think of off the top of my head) were here today, would you say stay out of it.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to stay off the grid these days. But hey lets say we do what YOU want us to do. Next time someone flies a plane into a building, I want YOU to get on National TV and tell people not to do anything about it. Next time there is a terror attack, are you willing to tell the World don't do anything about it?

See the problem is that people want total privacy, want people not to do anything, and then get up in arms as people try to protect them. There is an old saying, from George Orwell that goes "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Sometimes people forget that. People forget that the world they live in, isn't filled with nice people. There are people that want to do us all harm. People that wouldn't blink an eye to blow up a school. Wouldn't mind, as we saw going into a Mall and killing every non Muslim in it. But we should just let it happen? Where are peoples morals, do people stand for anything these days?

*Edit: But lets do what you want, and apply it to history. Lets stay out of things. We tried that once, if you remember correctly. Hitler was pure evil, and we stayed out of it for so long. Look how that turned out. Would you still believe, if someone like Hitler (Which there are a few people I can think of off the top of my head) were here today, would you say stay out of it.

I don't see how government watching over your shoulder is a good thing. Of course there needs to be surveillance at some extent but after you have no privacy at all, that just makes no sense. Living in a country, where there are no terrorists but everyhing is controlled doesn't seem freedom to me.

Also you have to remember that terrorists usually think themselves as freedom fighters. You would be surprised how often these "terrorists" became terrorists because they lost their child or their whole family when american troops decided to strike some location and there were innocent casualties.

You don't fix violence with more violence.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Redneck? What does me happening to live in the South have to do with it? Could it be, maybe just maybe, I happen to have been in the Intelligence community prior to my leaving the Military? I guess maybe that statement predisposes me to thinking that you should keep your mouth shut about secrets, because when you talk real people can and probably will die. Everyone loves secrets, but no one ever looks at what we lose when secrets are revealed in the open. What information that was compromised, causes us to lose valuable pipelines of data.

*I've been out of the game long enough, I have no knowledge beyond anyone else here.

Sheltered? Yes, so sheltered getting shot at. So sheltered that I was in combat. So sheltered that when I was charged with a crime I didn't commit, I didn't run. I stood there during my military trial, and was found not guilty. And I let myself prove that I did nothing wrong. Please!

Now what is wrong with your statement that he would have been put away and never heard from, Manning? He's been heard from, but alas, people don't understand the true dangers to our Country, and the people that defend it, when you release classified information. I've lived it, until you do, its kinda hard to understand.

Again there is a right way to whistleblow, and a wrong way. He took the wrong path, and he's got to deal with it. If you can't own up to your own mistakes, what does that make you?

HEY GUYS LOOK, A BRAIN WASHED SOLDIER/AMERICAN/DOG

woof woof little puppy, woof woof.

@afa7336

Yes your a redneck and it has everything to do with it because your so far up your countries ass u don't see the bad they do u just believe everything they say!! Your country isn't doing any good they could of stopped this years ago there not there to help the people they are there for oil!! And they don't care who they kill even of its civilians aslong as they get there oil and now the people that try to show people what scum your country is and show them the real America they get punished for it!

America is not for the americans anymore, it hasnt been for a very long time ...

everybody is on their own fighting for what they want,,, common sense its been lost forever :o

PC Gaming forever...

Not really, as of now, its more of a nightmare of PR rather then legal laws being broken.

Look I dont want to be disrespectful or upset anyone but the way the US goes things does NOT work. No one is blowing anything up in Ireland (well at least nit any more and at least they were Irish), nothing is getting flown into buildings in Norway, Sweden, Iceland. No one is shooting up Irish Embassies, Finish ones and the list goes on.

The US government is receiving different treatment for a reason and something has to change because what they are doing, how they are (and have been) behaving is not, and has not been, working

And not even get started with East and West Germany... Nope, I'm done. Not going to upset anyone today, Ethnod out :P

@afa7336

Yes your a redneck and it has everything to do with it because your so far up your countries ass u don't see the bad they do u just believe everything they say!! Your country isn't doing any good they could of stopped this years ago there not there to help the people they are there for oil!! And they don't care who they kill even of its civilians aslong as they get there oil and now the people that try to show people what scum your country is and show them the real America they get punished for it!

I have a single question. Is it okay to break the law?

I'm not going to comment anymore on your personal attacks, because the fact is you want to be an ass, go ahead and kiss mine. You're a little punk is all, and it shows me you have no idea what the real world is like.

By and by, I am neither uneducated nor poor nor a farmer. If you're going to use a derogatory word, at least know the definition of said word. 

Edited by afa7336

Look I dont want to be disrespectful or upset anyone but the way the US goes things does NOT work. No one is blowing anything up in Ireland (well at least nit any more and at least they were Irish), nothing is getting flown into buildings in Norway, Sweden, Iceland. No one is shooting up Irish Embassies, Finish ones and the list goes on.

The US government is receiving different treatment for a reason and something has to change because what they are doing, how they are (and have been) behaving is not, and has not been, working

And not even get started with East and West Germany... Nope, I'm done. Not going to upset anyone today, Ethnod out :P

Terrorism knows no borders. We saw in the Mall incident how true that was. That wasn't targeted at Americans. I think the perception is it is all American issues, but terror is a Global issue. As one of the largest global players, shouldn't we as Americans be willing to stand up, or should we stand by? And didn't England have a couple brushes with terrorism? So did Spain. Extremists will strike at those they feel like. Nationality, they don't care that much about. 

Edited by afa7336

For fairly obvious reasons, a lot of countries and societies around the world view the USA as an overly powerful toddler. Quick to temper and throw the toys out of the pram. Here's why. A few horribly evil people decided to, in a most dramatic way, murder many thousands of innocent Americans in full view of the public. In response, the USA been directly responsible (via its various invasions in Afghanistan, Iraq etc.) for the murders of many more thousands of innocent non-Americans. Every year. For ten years. This is what a lot of people find completely unacceptable.

Doing evil in response to evil does not stop evil. It perpetuates and amplifies it. The day will come when a child, who was not even born ten years ago, will have his family and friends be killed by the USA's over zealous military action and his views will be hardened. He will spend a lifetime seeking justice for the murder of his innocent loved ones. 

And one day, one of those children will be successful. And that will be the justification for another invasion. And so it continues.