Phone radiation cause cancer?

Okjoek
Just now, Master Disaster said:

The important word there, powerful. 

Look at the very first reply to this thread for your answer. Your phone simply isn't powerful enough to affect you. 

the thing is that the phone being useful also implies a mast being there.

it is not researched as two seperate entities, but rather as a whole. they're not saying your phone will kill you (aside from that electricity teacher of mine that claimed a 1GHz processor in your pocket meant cancer) but rather the GSM signals around you causing potentially long-term issues.

I have to agree with "everything causes cancer" band here: it's still so misunderstood and there's so many variables this correlation is basically meaningless.

I'll give you an example: There's a lethal chemical that's in our atmosphere everywhere on earth. This chemical is 100% lethal to humans but we still don't fully understand the mechanism of action, we only understand that it can take anywhere from 50 to 90 years to kill a person though many variables, including genetic predisposition apparently affect this rates. 

The mechanism of action appears to be promoting a chemical process called oxidation that creates a chain reaction on a type of atom called free radical that eventually builds up interfering with our body's ability to produce new healthy cells and leaving the damaged cells in place gradually. This phenomenon appears to affect most species on the animal kingdom with some notable exceptions like certain crustaceans that are apparently not affected at all.

Scientists are currently looking for a cure and while advances in slowing down this process have been made, it is uncertain if we'll ever be able to actually rever this process. We suggest that on the meantime you try to limit your exposure to this dangerous chemical: O2 otherwise known as Oxygen. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, soup said:

Nor are gsm antennas (possibly),

It might any one of one million (<slight hyperbole there) differences between those locations, if the ONLY difeerence was the antennas then you could say they were the cause else you can just say they MIGHT be the cause.

there's this specific case in brussels where some smart architect put a gsm tower on a building, and then some other really smart architect put a building next to it, with the mast beaming straight into the person's bedroom.

Just now, KuJoe said:

Not lately, it's been a long time.

Was just thinking that about

The hamster dance.

Banana phone.

etc etc etc

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

44 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the only reason everything and its charger runs on 2.4GHz is because microwaves, and i dont need to tell you they're not the most healthy piece of kitchen equipment ever invented.

That also happens to be why the energy emitted by a microwave oven is isolated to remain inside, give or take some leaking here or there, which is completely safe.

Just like electricity is not inherently safe, but add some insulation over some wires that follows the requirements, and boom, the wire/cable is now safe to handle.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

That also happens to be why the energy emitted by a microwave oven is isolated to remain inside, give or take some leaking here or there, which is completely safe.

Just like electricity is not inherently safe, but add some insulation over some wires that follows the requirements, and boom, the wire/cable is now safe to handle.

that's why there's such a worry around phones (and wifi), because as they get more common, the amount of "radiation" goes up (although, still no where even near a microwave)

the reason why microwaves are basicly the most ballin' farraday cage in your house, is because even with them being a farraday cage, they still create HUGE blasts of "radiation" on the 2.4GHz spectrum, and doctors will most likely advise you not to stare into your microwave when cooking, because of the dangers it may bring long-term.

--

a while back there was someone on the forum asking about his microwave making his router lock up.

i guess you can imagine the shitshow between the people worried there may have been a failure in the farraday cage setup (worn out micrwoave?), and the people waving it away as "you're just tinfoil hats"

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

We suggest that on the meantime you try to limit your exposure to this dangerous chemical: O2 otherwise known as Oxygen. 

No2 son was on a ventilator when he was first born (nine months ventilated 14 months in SCBU) the oxygen pressures and concentrations they had to use made Oxygen's poisonous nature significant (there is a reason DEEP divers breathe a mixture of gases with a much higher percentage of helium, than there is in air at STP).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, soup said:

No2 son was on a ventilator when he was first born (nine months ventilated 14 months in SCBU) the oxygen pressures and concentrations they had to use made Oxygen's poisonous nature significant (there is a reason DEEP divers breathe a mixture of gases with a much higher percentage of helium, than there is in air at STP).

Yep concentration of oxygen is actually important: too much is as bad as too little.

The irony is that laymen on the press read an article and make a big splash of a meaningless statistical result (the very definition of clickbait) : Red meat, cooked eggs, oxygen, etc. Everything can cause cancer and other sorts of diseases. Yet the occurrence is so little vs say, Uranium, that it's for all intents and purposes harmless.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, ModuleLFS said:

By that logic, we all get cancer due to radio station towers everywhere. BS.

Technically, cancer is fairly common due to the formation of cancer cells within the body, but they're usually eradicated or they commit suicide.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Jeez, what doesn't give you cancer? Why is this a topic anyway? Life gives you cancer.

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yep concentration of oxygen is actually important: too much is as bad as too little.

The irony is that laymen on the press read an article and make a big splash of a meaningless statistical result (the very definition of clickbait) : Red meat, cooked eggs, oxygen, etc. Everything can cause cancer and other sorts of diseases. Yet the occurrence is so little vs say, Uranium, that it's for all intents and purposes harmless.

Hence the term 'background radiation'. Technically the big bang causes cancer, just very very slowly. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Hence the term 'background radiation'. Technically the big bang causes cancer, just very very slowly. 

Too bad we don't use CRT monitors anymore because I used to love the good ol' "This post just gave me cancer" too.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, RuLeZ said:

I call it BS, the spectrum that the phone emits its way below the ionization level. Its even way less energetic than visible light, and I dont see people saying that visible light cause cancer. People are just getting crazy these days, vaccination causes autism, the crystals gives you energy... Its like the middle ages are back.

quality%20of%20a%20light%20source.jpg

1 hour ago, RuLeZ said:

Really informativ.

Thanks for some useful counter arguments. I didn't get my first cell phone until about 2 years ago if you can believe that. That said I can imagine life without them, and it wouldn't be as great. Maybe just to be safe I'll always leave it at full arms length away from me when I sleep.

This reminds me of the no cell phones at gas stations myth that was handily busted. Turns out people getting in and out of their car and building up static was the probably culprit.

Lol at the vaccine comment earlier. That debate is uninformed on both sides. there are immunizations and there are vaccines. People against vaccines aren't intelligent enough to make a distinction between the two, and people for vaccines think the anti-vaccine people are against immunization shots. I can't even fap to that.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

This reminds me of the no cell phones at gas stations myth that was handily busted. Turns out people getting in and out of their car and building up static was the probably culprit.

Lol at the vaccine comment earlier. That debate is uninformed on both sides. there are immunizations and there are vaccines. People against vaccines aren't intelligent enough to make a distinction between the two, and people for vaccines think the anti-vaccine people are against immunization shots. I can't even maste$@!#& to that.

I remember that one from Mythbusters.

Man I wish those guys were still doing this stuff. I hope whoever they find to do their job will be both as insightful and entertaining.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, RuLeZ said:

I call it BS, the spectrum that the phone emits its way below the ionization level. Its even way less energetic than visible light, and I dont see people saying that visible light cause cancer. People are just getting crazy these days, vaccination causes autism, the crystals gives you energy... Its like the middle ages are back.

Microwaves can penetrate deeper than visible light before being absorbed. All they can do is cause a bit of heating, but heating down to a depth of maybe 10mm or 20mm is different than heating essentially only at the surface, and could potentially have different health effects.

However, going from a little bit of tissue heating to cancer is not straightforward. Ionizing radiation, even plain old UV, is definitely a much more obvious threat.

Epidemiological studies in humans have failed to show any effect on cancer risk, so a lab study in rodents is not going to have me running for the tin foil. If there is an effect in humans, it will be a very weak one - otherwise it would have shown up in the epidemiological studies. Those studies can't rule out a tiny effect (it's extremely difficult to rule out very faint effects), but they have ruled out an effect that's large enough to really have to worry about.

1 hour ago, RuLeZ said:

quality%20of%20a%20light%20source.jpg

Daily Mail news just in Light causes cancer. Full list can be found here. Do have a read it's rather funny

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Daily Mail news just in Light causes cancer. Full list can be found here. Do have a read it's rather funny

" SEX WITH SPARROWS " " WATER " " INTERNETxDxD

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

36 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Jeez, what doesn't give you cancer? Why is this a topic anyway? Life gives you cancer.

I'm sorry my topic interrupted your RX 480 vs GTX 1060 debates.

34 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Too bad we don't use CRT monitors anymore because I used to love the good ol' "This post just gave me cancer" too.

I still have my old CRT Television in my room with an NES+ Atari and Activation plug-in controller consoles. (It's not actually a very big one, I can carry it in one arm)

1 hour ago, Jack Longman said:

I can't see how it can be a significantly high risk to worry about, people go and visit chernobyl which understandably has a relatively high level of radiation. I'm no scientist it just seems that even prolonged exposure to a mobile phone won't be a significant risk. To be honest even if it is found as a risk i won't be changing at all as using my phone, computer and laptop is important to my lifestyle even if there is a risk of cancer

to be fair spending more than a few hours in Chernobyl IS dangerous. Consider that your phone is with you all day every day for years. Still, I doubt this is actually a thing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

the color purple isnt causing people with flats next to unfortunately placed gsm antennas heavy migraines which magically go away when they're at family for a week.

Hypocondria and confirmation bias do that. I'd be willing to bet those migraines would go away if they were told the antenna wasn't there anymore, even if it was a lie. Or maybe something else about the place they live is causing them. There is no evidence of even gamma radiations causing migraines. They give you skin burns and cancer, not migraines.

You know what DOES cause cancer with scientific proof and nobody gives a crap about? Cigarettes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*