PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Why is the vengeance a tier 1 psu? It's a CXM with multiple rails...

19 minutes ago, Undersk0re said:

Why is the vengeance a tier 1 psu? It's a CXM with multiple rails...

CXM has a sleeve-bearing fan and the Vengeance has a ball.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

SO it's just as great of a choice as a seasonic prime?

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Wait, the CXM series is tier 1 other than the fan/multiple vs. single rails? How does a fan and only a single rail knock a PSU down from Tier 1 to Tier 3? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Wait, the CXM series is tier 1 other than the fan/multiple vs. single rails? How does a fan and only a single rail knock a PSU down from Tier 1 to Tier 3? 

On 7/22/2016 at 8:44 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

How do you even grade these things?

Hide contents

Quality and electrical performance. Value means nothing. No brand biases. Features don't matter.

Any unit with a sleeve-bearing fan will be deemed no better than Tier 3.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

buut the vengeance doesn't compete with the seasonic prime at all.

1 minute ago, Undersk0re said:

buut the vengeance doesn't compete with the seasonic prime at all.

Well hopefully someone who actually does the rating of these can reply to that :P  I just wanted to point out that point about why the bad fan knocks it down to no higher than Tier 3

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

No it has not:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=492

And the overall capacitance isn't great eithter, as is the choice of the caps.

Because KY isn't low Impedance.

Any unit with a sleeve-bearing fan will be deemed no better than Tier 3.

WHy is the Snow Silent in Tier 1 then? 

Or the Dark Power Pro, Bitfenix Whisper, Cooler Master V-Series, Corsair HXi, RMi, RMx, Vengeance. FSP Aurum PT, Seasonic Prime.

Newer Leadex have Sleeve Bearings as well. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

46 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Or the Dark Power Pro, Bitfenix Whisper, Cooler Master V-Series, Corsair HXi, RMi, RMx, Vengeance. FSP Aurum PT, Seasonic Prime.

None of those use sleeve bearing fans, they're either rifle bearings or FDB and while they are more akin to sleeve than ball, they're better than sleeve bearings.

Snow Silent, dark power pro, bitfenix whsiper, v series, hxi, rmi, aurum pt, seasonic prime, - Fluid Dynamic

RMx, vengeance - rifle

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

....witch are (improved) Sleeve Bearings...

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

....witch are (improved) Sleeve Bearings...

Yes. And the reason why sleeve bearings are bad is because they don't handle high temperatures well and they don't like being on their sides. FDB significantly reduce those issues. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Still they are oil based Sleeve Bearings and not contact bearings like Ball Bearings or Needle Bearings. 

And why should it matter if they don't handle 'being on their sides'?! Where's that the case? And High Temperatures? Do you live in a Sauna or what?

Either Way, gotta watch Milo Yiannopoulos...

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Still they are oil based Sleeve Bearings and not contact bearings like Ball Bearings or Needle Bearings. 

And why should it matter if they don't handle 'being on their sides'?! Where's that the case? And High Temperatures? Do you live in a Sauna or what?

Either Way, gotta watch Milo Yiannopoulos...

They're still significantly improved. 

Sleeve bearings have a significantly reduced lifespan when horizontal (like they would be in 95% of cases) and when temps get above 25ºc, which is a perfectly normal temperature for the inside of your case to get to. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They're still significantly improved. 

Sleeve bearings have a significantly reduced lifespan when horizontal (like they would be in 95% of cases) and when temps get above 25ºc, which is a perfectly normal temperature for the inside of your case to get to. 

Eeeeh from my sleeve and improved sleeved fans, they drop dead only slightly after a sleeve goes. They aren't anywhere near as nice as a double ball bearing based fan.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

No it has not:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=492

And the overall capacitance isn't great eithter, as is the choice of the caps.

Because KY isn't low Impedance.

Ah, I got some bearings confused. Rifles are much better than sleeves regardless.

Also none of those have sleeve bearings?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Ah, I got some bearings confused. Rifles are much better than sleeves regardless.

They all are variants of sleeve bearings... Rifle bearing fans aren't that much better than a sleeve bearing.

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

FDB are a modified/greatly improved sleeve bearing. 

1 minute ago, Undersk0re said:

They all are variants of sleeve bearings... Rifle bearing fans aren't that much better than a sleeve bearing.

That depends who you ask. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

FDB are a modified/greatly improved sleeve bearing. 

That depends who you ask. 

Even OklahomaWolf  has his doubts on them, the bitfenix only got away with it due to it's warranty.

Personally, all my rifles died shortly after my sleeve bearing fans went.

Yes because there is more to it than the Name One thing everyone misses on is the most important thing of those fans:

The Lubricant!

As we all know there are huge differences in the lubricant, you can use mineral ones, synthetic ones, something inbetween and then there are the additives and so on...

So why should a simpler sleeve bearing fan with good lubricant die sooner than a cheapish FDB/HDB one with also cheapish lubricant?

And, as we all know, it's also important how much of the lubricant gets lost over time and how much the lubricant is designed for logivety...

And of course the sealing of the bearing is also something really important...

In the end, everything gets complicated!

Oh and don't forget the construction(quality)!!!

If they mess up the balancing of the fan a bit, it also dies sooner due to some vibrations...

I've never bought anything by RAIDMAX and don't know anything about them, but they make plenty of PSU's.  They also aren't on here.  Does anybody have any knowledge on the quality?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've never bought anything by RAIDMAX and don't know anything about them, but they make plenty of PSU's.  They also aren't on here.  Does anybody have any knowledge on the quality?

They're usually shitty, but they do have a select few good units.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raidmax-monster-rx-700at-titanium-power-supply,4530-10.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Undersk0re said:

Except for the simple fact that a sleeve-bearing wears out by design when positioned horizontally as most systems will require then PSU to be placed in.

28 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They've got a few diamonds in the rough. I'm super tired so I'm gonna link you this and pass on out: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/Raidmax/

This guy signed up for the forum just to rq!!!

you really not nothing better to do lol

Really though, stop being so anal about every tiny detail. It's not like we are suggesting stuff that will blow up.

"Rawr XD"

5 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Really though, stop being so anal about every tiny detail. It's not like we are suggesting stuff that will blow up.

But you do.

I have an EVGA GS550 here that BLOW UP! 

Because of Overload -> DC-DC Converter blew. When that happens there is a great chance that you have +12V on minor rails, wich can destroy everything on those rails.