PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Chief GPA-350S8 and Corsair VS450 are in the same league of the cheapest, most basic units it's safe to buy new. The VS450 is not a good choice for the price though, because the much more advanced Vero L2 costs 10-20zł more. It's not worth it to invest significant cash in a computer like yours, so I'd just take the cheaper Chieftec. But like I said, if there's a possibility of you reusing the new PSU in a more powerful setup, then it would be good to buy the Vero (or Corsair CX450 with 5 year warranty for 199zł)

11 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

HEC T2? I seem to recall reading on a forum post of yours (I think on your own forums?) about shuddering when you walked into an HEC factory.

Interesting how that works though.

Yep.  They had leaky roofs and puddles on the floor and even a fire in the warehouse.  China.

But they're tearing down that factory to build condos.

I've been to factories where a wrecking ball has gone through the side wall to remove heavy equipment and they never fixed the wall.

But that's not what "tier" is supposed to mean in the industry.  Like djdwosk97 said, it's a matter of how much in-house they do.  I dare say that, with their in-house housing and magnetics capability, CWT and HEC are nearly tier 1.  The reason we only see a lot of bronze stuff from HEC is lack of in-house engineering.  They can literally BUILD anything, but they have problems CREATING new products and the work flow to them done.  But that doesn't change their "tier status".  

Factories like Seasonic and Super Flower have great engineers.  But very little is actually manufactured in house.  Their "factory" is more like "final assembly".  In fact, a lot of times the they have to contract out final assembly because their own factories can't produce enough product.  

I'm no bagging on those companies for not being "higher tier".  They've proven that they can make great product.  But quality control is really hard to manage when your parts are contracted to another factory that you have no control over.

NEW SEASONIC UNIT HYPE

it's not the Core and Core+ tho, SeaSonic stop pulling a Bristol Ridge on us

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Seasonic+FOCUS+Plus&ignorear=0&N=100007657 600112163&isNodeId=1

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

47 minutes ago, JDE said:

SeaSonic stop pulling a Bristol Ridge on us

Would you rather have a Vega? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Would you rather have a Vega? 

That's like Corsair annoucing a CX green would be a RMA replacement for a AX1500i. God no.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

10 hours ago, JDE said:

NEW SEASONIC UNIT HYPE

it's not the Core and Core+ tho, SeaSonic stop pulling a Bristol Ridge on us

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Seasonic+FOCUS+Plus&ignorear=0&N=100007657 600112163&isNodeId=1

The Focus Plus has been out for quite some time now though. I've used one in a build already :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

The Focus Plus has been out for quite some time now though. I've used one in a build already :P

Platinum :S

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I'm curious now @jonnyGURU, the corsair TX-M (2017) series from GW would be in which tier?

I'm thinking about getting a new PSU for my system, which has a OCZ Fatality 750W right now and is just about 5 years old. Since OCZ doesn't sell PSUs anymore, and I probably have no more warranty on it. I also noticed that, if I push my processor any further than 1.37V, my power supply isn't able to keep both the CPU and GPU steady, making the GPU simply turn off for a second every now and again (With no driver crashes, no OC in the GPU as well), the power supply I have has just bad distribution, the 12V is distributed between 4 different rails...

I've been thinking between the TX650~850M or a RM650~750x (The TX650m being the cheapest and the RM650/750x having no much price difference) Quite sadly, most of the great EVGA PSUs aren't available here, the only one I saw was the EVGA 550W G3 for about the same price as the Corsair TX750M.

My deepest apologies if I'm posting this on the wrong place, but I'm a bit confused with all the PSU's available, prices and how much wattage do I really need :S

My current system:
Ryzen 7 1700 3.85Ghz/1.36V (I plan on trying more) Cooled by a Corsair H110i V2

2x8 GB Trident Z 3.200 Mhz CL15 @ CL14 Tightened sub-timings

Gigabyte GTX 980 FE

Asrock X370 Taichi

2x 120GB Kingston SSDs

1x 2TB 7.2k RPM Seagate HDD

I also plan on getting either a 1070/1080 or a Vega 56 in the future.

Which wattage would I have a good headroom for overclocking without worrying about the PSU?

Any answers on this are much appreciated!

The new TX-M is damn solid.  GW is nearly a tier 1 manufacturer, better than CWT.  Consistent quality control...

The unit itself uses all top notch components.  It's LLC with DC to DC.  All protections are in place.

The only thing I would change is the fan controller and the housing.  The Corsair fan has a smaller frame diameter than a standard 140mm fan, so there's a gap between the fan frame and the hole for the fan in the PSU housing.  This reduces the static air pressure within the PSU which requires the fan spins to spin a bit faster than it should.

All and all, it's not too loud.  Cybenetics gave it a LAMBDA-A (https://www.cybenetics.com/a/Qn8/) , which means it's quieter than a Seasonic Prime Gold or Bitfenix Whisper, but I know how I could make it even quieter for the next generation. 

So all and all... it's about the best Gold semi-modular you can get >>IF<< you can get it at a fair price.

@jonnyGURU Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, from what I read in your review, the TX series should be really good.

Prices aren't fair here...they really aren't. I live in Brazil, and the taxes are extremely disappointing.

The prices I have for those PSUs here are:

Corsair TX650M here costs 460 BRL, which comes to about 145 USD.

The RM650x costs 616 BRL, 197 USD.

The TX750M is at 563 BRL, 180 USD.

The RM750x costs 687 BRL, 219,50 USD.

TX850M 670 BRL, 214 USD.

RM850x 817 BRL, 261 USD.

So yeah... I'm confused as well because of this. I could get myself a Seasonic Prime Titanium for those prices and have leftover cash, but ayy... Seasonic isn't even available here...

Also, @STRMfrmXMN and @JDE any inputs on this? :P

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

but I know how I could make it even quieter for the next generation. 

You can? :P

I know you work at Corsair but how much say do they give you with their PSUs? Just curious.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, KuroiHane said:

Currency conversion is fun, ay? I'd say the TX650M would be plenty for you.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Currency conversion is fun, ay? I'd say the TX650M would be plenty for you.

Kinda is...still makes me sad though hahaha

I see. Even taking in consideration overclocking and the possible change in GPU to a Vega 56 which people says it's really power hungry? xD

Anyways, the EVGA 550W G3 here costs 500 BRL, against 460 from the Corsair TX650M hehe...

Just now, KuroiHane said:

Kinda is...still makes me sad though hahaha

I see. Even taking in consideration overclocking and the possible change in GPU to a Vega 56 which people says it's really power hungry? xD

Anyways, the EVGA 550W G3 here costs 500 BRL, against 460 from the Corsair TX650M hehe...

TXM

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

TXM

Oh no, I was just mentioning the price differences and how they are all over the place.

I wouldn't get a 550W PSU at this point, since I'm already thinking about spending the money, I was thinking about going to the max I could with an TX850M (but god that's still expensive and I don't make money from air...) 

4 minutes ago, KuroiHane said:

Oh no, I was just mentioning the price differences and how they are all over the place.

I wouldn't get a 550W PSU at this point, since I'm already thinking about spending the money, I was thinking about going to the max I could with an TX850M (but god that's still expensive and I don't make money from air...) 

TXM

Spoiler

:P

12 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

TXM

Reveal hidden contents

:P

Well, guess I'll just ignore the RMx series, then hahaha xD

42 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You can? :P

I know you work at Corsair but how much say do they give you with their PSUs? Just curious.

Quite a bit.  In fact, anything made from TX-M on, I can accept full responsibility.  Including the fan screw up in TX-M.  I wanted to do some simple upgrades to CS-M, including upgrading the fan, but keeping the same housing (tooling aint cheap).  I wasn't aware that the Corsair fan had a smaller frame and by the time I realized it, it was too late.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

The new TX-M is damn solid.

So all and all... it's about the best Gold semi-modular you can get >>IF<< you can get it at a fair price.

Would an RM550X/RM650X still beat it if you got one onsale? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

24 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Would an RM550X/RM650X still beat it if you got one onsale? 

RMx has slightly better performance and is WAY quieter.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Quite a bit.  In fact, anything made from TX-M on, I can accept full responsibility.  Including the fan screw up in TX-M.  I wanted to do some simple upgrades to CS-M, including upgrading the fan, but keeping the same housing (tooling aint cheap).  I wasn't aware that the Corsair fan had a smaller frame and by the time I realized it, it was too late.

#RefreshCSM

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

No.  CS-M is dead.  Bringing that back is only going to make the line logic even more confusing to people than it already is.

9 minutes ago, JDE said:

#RefreshCSM

i see folks mistaking the CS for the old CXs quite a few times already, I'd much rather bury that lineup than revive it and cause more confusion.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W