AMD 2016 Financial info released. AMD computing and graphics revenue down from Q1 2016

AlTech

They're doing quite ok now. Upcoming Vega and Zen will be their most anticipated releases so I'm sure everyone are excited for a whole overhaul for AMD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why do people who knows very little about micro economics insist on commenting so much on it?

Year over year, AMD is up.

Yes revenue is down from Q1, which is expected as new lines of GPU's were close to release at that point. That is normal for every tech company out there.

Revenue of the 400 series is not included in these numbers. The consequence of the 400 series is not viewable until Q3 results.

There's a reason why the AMD stocks are not falling. If this was bad news, they would drop.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If Zen doesn't pull through then AMD are toast.

Microsoft needs to buy them!

If internet tech geeks "financial" estimates were true, AMD would have been "toast" 3 billion times over already. AMD is not dead, they are not about to die, and they are not 100% dependent on 1 product line.

What is up with the fixation of having other companies buy out AMD? Like Samsung or MS. Makes no sense. Especially MS? Look what happened to Nokia after their buyout: utter disaster. No thank you. MS would be one of the worst choices out there. Samsung is not particularly better either.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

"Revenue hit $1.027bn, up nine percent year-over-year "primarily due to higher sales of semi-custom SoCs." That beats analyst estimates by $68.7m. By semi-custom SoCs, AMD means the system-on-chips and graphics cores it designs for video game console makers, specifically Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft is due to use AMD-crafted chips in its Project Scorpio console due out next year and a slim Xbox One coming this Fall. Overall, AMD expects to bank $1.5bn in sales over the next three to four years from three games console chips that will hit the shelves soon.

Net income of $69m, up from last year's $181m loss. Peering into the numbers, we see a non-GAAP operating profit of $3m versus an $87m loss a year ago."

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

No Microsoft doesn't need to buy them.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Bro, I think you're missing the biggest thing of this financial report. That is that, for the first time in over 2 or 3 years, AMD has had a positive net income over one quarter, or in other words they made a profit. This past quarter is the first time AMD has made money in over 2 or 3 years. Most of this seems to be because of a huge rise in revenue from their semi-custom soc department (so consoles are doing well), as well as 150 million dollars earned from a deal with Nantong Fujitsu. Just wanted to put this out there, since imo that is the biggest thing about this quarterly financial report. :)  

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not sure if i would be happy or sad for AMD if they get bought by Microshaft, mixed feelings.

So as someone who has actually studied accounting and I have done a complete analysis of AMD in the past I would say this is complete click bait and trivial. Anyone with a lick of sense will tell you Quarter to Quarter means nothing as with many businesses they are seasonal highs and lows. Year over Year is the important part and as I can tell AMD.increased EVERY single aspect. 

9 hours ago, laminutederire said:

That depends on the VRAM though, I understood that having 4GB of HBM like on the Fury series is okay in games needing more than 4GB of VRAM such as GTA V, or Mirror's edge catalyst, but that if you have gddr5, you better have a lot of VRAM to compensate from the disadvantages of gddr5 against hbm

I think, as you increase VRAM usage close to the threshold, memory bandwidth starts becoming the bottleneck for grapthics / compute throughput as the core waits for memory to be filled / emptied, but when bandwidth is through the roof less amount isn't a problem

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Yesterday AluminiumTech reported via anandtech of the financial statement released by AMD in reference to their earnings and profits.

AMD has released their 2016 financial information and so far their revenue has increased.

Except there's 1 small problem. They're not doing too hot in the consumer graphics card sector

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

I'm not an economist so I can't tell you what all of those numbers mean, and honestly without a comparison over the last 8 quarters I don't think this is good data to talk about from the beginning.

However, when it comes down to it as much as we like to imagine what companies like AMD, nvidia and intel manufacture products for us, when it comes down to it, it's investors and board members that decide the financial future of these companies.

However this morning when i checked my phone for texts and the likes, I had another notification, google wanted to tell me about stocks, so naturally I had a look. AMD's current value of their stock (at writing) has increased 11.88% from previous close. This is one day after they push out these statements for the company, now I'm not an economist however the people pouring that sort of money into the company are, there's something that makes investors believe that AMD is now a longer term company.

Now I want to take a moment to talk about what we have heard (mostly from the rumour machine, so as always :steamsalt:) over the last couple of months in reference to AMD.

- Success of the RX480

- Securing hardware production for all three major next gen consoles.

- Vulkan being supported by Steam

- ZEN being allegedly a badass processor (here's hoping)

- Vega allegedly being badass aswell

- GCN architecture being appropriate for DX12

- Driver and software overhaul

Edit: - Asyn Compute          Credit: RGProductions

- GPU Open                Credit: IGJoe2192

-- I'm sure I'm missing others, just comment and I'll add them to the list!! -- 

All that's come out of AMD this year seems to have been a commitment to a longer term company and for customers being more satisfied with their products, I think approximately what Raja Koduri said was "People think we make hot and loud cards, we want that to change" (<-- I butchered that ik)

I think it's important to bring up the fact that yes both the GCN architecture and their modern CPUs have honestly sucked. I am an absolute AMD fanboy as you've probably gathered by now, and I think both their GPUs and CPUs have been bad overall and others just want other products, however I don't put all the blame on AMD.

They do not sit around just doing nothing and pulling in dollars from their already built markets (looking at you valve). No, AMD actively tries things to develop the market and the world, they have done so many good things that have pushed the industry forward, and their last attempts haven't done so well.

But they've been changing their business model and they have now committed to making stronger products than before. They've ditched their previous CPU design and are going for hyper-threading, which is a good move. Their CPUs right now aren't using bad technology, it was simply bad luck (or bad bribing from intel) that made companies like Microsoft supporting via software intel's hyperthreading over AMD's 2 discrete core style.

However they aren't changing GCN architecture, which I can already see some people raging about, they need to change it!

nope.

I say this for two reasons, performance in DX12 and Valve supporting Vulkan.

AMD has taken a much more serious commitment to software, and looking at their stocks, software and hardware changes, it is obvious that in the next year there's going to be a strong sway towards AMD's GPUs simply because their GCN architecture is going to wreck CUDA on the software level, or that's my theory.

Anyway, I don't think AMD is going anywhere, and I'm sure we'll have years of annoying red fans like me yelling in people's faces to come. 

8 hours ago, glengraegill said:

Don't forget async compute, and less competition from Nvidia in the graphics card part

We also can't forget that they have a plan now, which they didn't have before. Plus, they have done nothing on the cpu side for a while

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Don't forget async compute, and less competition from Nvidia in the graphics card part

Oh yes of course, I'll add it to the list! 

Thanks

Glad to hear it for them. On the up and up! Let's get this market shook. 

Also so very nice post op. Good read! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

It's a great improvement really.

Zen and Vega turning out amazing will be an excellent success. Glad things are going well, they poured enough money in R&D so they must deliver :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Nup said:

Glad to hear it for them. On the up and up! Let's get this market shook. 

Also so very nice post op. Good read! 

Thanks man, I really try

5 hours ago, IGJoe2192 said:

The GPU Open initiative that helps developers to leverage their hardware. 

I'll add it to the list!

Meanwhile at intel..

Capture.PNG

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I sold at $5.  Given I had gotten a thousand at $2.30.  Wasn't bad.  

7 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I sold at $5.  Given I had gotten a thousand at $2.30.  Wasn't bad.  

Yeah, was a great time to invest earlier this year

3 minutes ago, glengraegill said:

Yeah, was a great time to invest earlier this year

I'm waiting for the recession to happen.  It's inevitable.  

Just now, SurvivorNVL said:

I'm waiting for the recession to happen.  It's inevitable.  

What do you mean?

1 minute ago, glengraegill said:

What do you mean?

The stock market doing as good as it is right now - the artificial inflation through debt and printing money as well as low interest rates is going to cause another recession.  We're on the path to it right now.  I'm waiting for it, so once it happens -- I'll get back in to the market when it is over.

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

The stock market doing as good as it is right now - the artificial inflation through debt and printing money as well as low interest rates is going to cause another recession.  We're on the path to it right now.  I'm waiting for it, so once it happens -- I'll get back in to the market when it is over.

Recession for what NASDAQ? America??