Free-Sync Monitor with Nvidia Card?

ander12391

So after returning my Dell S2716DG to Best Buy due to having terrible issues with it I decided to order the Asus MG279Q instead. However I do have a GTX 1080 and the MG279Q is a Freesync monitor. Was it stupid of me to do this? When I had Gsync with my DELL I honestly couldn't tell it was working. And  from what I've researched a lot of people seem to like the MG279Q even when pairing it with a Nvidia card. And with the GSYNC version of this monitor costing an extra 200 dollars I couldn't really justify the price difference just for Gsync. And it should be noted that on average that this price delta wasn't just for the Asus models. Even Acer has similar pricing  XF270HU is 549.99 and its Gsync counter part XB270HU-BPRZ is on sale right now for 689.99. So hopefully when my MG279Q arrives I can report back with my findings however I feel as though Gsync is overrated and I wish Nvidia would support Adaptive Sync since its a free standard and is part of the VESA spec. But at this point I am use to paying the Nvidia tax..... ( Looks over at my GTX1080 FE). But when you remove Adaptive Sync from the equation this monitor is still 1440p,144hz and IPS so I think its going to still provide an amazing experience. I just hope I dont regret it .

UPDATE# just found this video and this kinda lines up with how i feel. 

nvidia cards dont work with freesync monitors. at all.

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

1 minute ago, DGB said:

Not true.  Freesync doesn't work, but the monitor will still work just fine as a 144 hz 1440p monitor.  Just no variable refresh rate, and there was no price premium for it so might as well.  If you ever want to get a fury 2 or another amd card some time then you can use free sync, but it's still a great monitor without it.

5 minutes ago, DGB said:

Yes they do.

It works just like a regular monitor.

No variable frame rate stuff though.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes they do.

It works just like a regular monitor.

No variable frame rate stuff though.

It can, but Nvidia chose not to allow it. AMD has stated that its open source. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

3 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

It can, but Nvidia chose not to allow it. AMD has stated that its open source. 

For the variable framerate feature yes, but the monitor still works with any GPU. It does not have to be AMD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

For the variable framerate feature yes, but the monitor still works with any GPU. It does not have to be AMD.

I always thought freesync was an open technology in the display port 1.3 standard. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

1 minute ago, marldorthegreat said:

I always thought freesync was an open technology in the display port 1.3 standard. 

Which doesn't mean that it will be supported by rival company ;) Nvidia gets some cash on Gsync monitor chips (as well as SLI allowed motherboards).

Just now, riklaunim said:

Which doesn't mean that it will be supported by rival company ;) Nvidia gets some cash on Gsync monitor chips (as well as SLI allowed motherboards).

Thats not my point, AMD would let nvidia use freesync but they chose not to use it. 

Just sucks for the consumer. I feel like buying a monitor has become a pain in the ass ever since adaptive refresh rate became a thing. 

17 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

Freesync is not free or open technology, and nvidia cannot use it.

Freesync is proprietary to AMD.

What nvidia can use is called adaptive sync and is an open standard by VESA. 

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Not true.  Freesync doesn't work, but the monitor will still work just fine as a 144 hz 1440p monitor.  Just no variable refresh rate, and there was no price premium for it so might as well.  If you ever want to get a fury 2 or another amd card some time then you can use free sync, but it's still a great monitor without it.

sorry i mixed up. i meant nvidia cards dont work with freesync. the monitor works fine. sry for confusion

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

Got the monitor last night and hooked it up. The monitor for the most part looks really good however it has about 5 dead pixels. :(  sooo back to the store it goes.  

20 minutes ago, ander12391 said:

Got the monitor last night and hooked it up. The monitor for the most part looks really good however it has about 5 dead pixels. :(  sooo back to the store it goes.  

That sucks...

I'm currently using an XG270HU with a GTX 1070, and with vsync disabled I'm not getting any (visible to my eyes) tearing. I never owned a 144hz display before this one, and was always using AMD before hand for the Freesync, so I'm actually at a loss for the time being, because in the past 60hz panels had such problems with screen tearing with vsync off. I always had discussions with a game clan member about vsync and tearing (this was years and years ago, probably in the Cod4MW days of PC Gaming), and he always said vsync was useless for him on his 120hz displays and he didn't have much tearing at all. Welp... After all these years of thinking he was fibbing, turns out he was right. Whats even more noticeable is the smoothness of the screen when always at 144hz. with my previous AMD card, freesync limited the refresh rate and even though there wasn't any screen tearing, moving around quickly still had a ghosting effect because of the amount of time each frame was displaying on screen, especially sitting between 40 and 60 FPS. Sure it was "smooth" but it bothered my eyes. Not anymore. Will I be buying a gsync display anytime soon? I don't see the need tbh. games that hit really high frame rates are solved by fast sync, and games with really sporadic frame rates are fixed with Rivatuner frame limiter. disabling vsync in control panel has never been more enjoyable lol. B|

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR