NVIDIA Pascal Async compute support: CONFIRMED

i_build_nanosuits

So, i was watching the reviews for the GTX 1060 that came out yesterday...and in their GTX 1060 video review, Digital Foundry (a well know and very reputable source for graphics cards and other PC hardware testing and reviews) clearly showed that the new GTX 1060 (and consequently all the other GPU's in the Pascal architecture familly) does INDEED support asynchronous compute under DirectX12.

They did testing with the new DX12 3d Mark TimeSpy benchmark, and clearly the GTX 1060 does gain a noticeable amount of frames per second output from enabling the Async compute feature...in fact the gains there are very close to those seen on the RX480.

Here, i put the link to the video...you should watch it in it's entirety but the interesting part about nVidia and Async compute start at 3:30

@3:30 ''one thing that is clear, is the nVidia's Pacal architecture does indeed support that all important Asynchronous compute feature''

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

*Concurrent Async Compute

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Most people know this. Pascal supports async compute but doesn't have async shaders which is what gives AMD that extra advantage over NVIDIA (hardware vs software).

Maxwell, on the other hand, is a different story...

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Didnt Maxwell also support a software implementation of async compute as well? I though amd had the advantage with the rx480 due to having built in hadrware for async compute.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Just now, Lord_Karango17 said:

Didnt Maxwell also support a software implementation of async compute as well? I though amd had the advantage with the rx480 due to having built in hadrware for async compute.

Maxwell was never enabled in the driver though. The driver will block every attempt at async compute on the 900 series.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

@i_build_nanosuits

Then why does it still lose FPS when transitioning to DX12?

From a GTX 1060 review and benchmarks:

ROTTR DX11:

tr_4k.png

ROTTR DX12:

tr_4k_2.png

Hitman DX11:

hitman_1920.png

Hitman DX12:

hitman_1920_2.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

@i_build_nanosuits

ROTTR DX11:

tr_4k.png

ROTTR DX12:

tr_4k_2.png

Hitman DX11:

hitman_1920.png

Hitman DX12:

hitman_1920_2.png

Why do people post the snips but not the link to the website? Unless they want people to think that they are cherry picking?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Why do people post the snips but not the link to the website? Unless they want people to think that they are cherry picking?

Because the article is in Polish and you're not from here probably? They benched only two games DX11->DX12.

Here: http://pclab.pl/art70607.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Because the article is in Polish and you're not from here probably?

Here: http://pclab.pl/art70607.html

People on this forum know how to use Google Translate.

PMSL

Some people*

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

Not even once have I seen it translate something properly :P

besides, what cherrypicking? A thing like losing FPS when going from DX11 to DX12 in a brand-new 2016 GPU should NOT happen AT ALL.

DX12 3d Mark TimeSpy benchmark have receiving lots of shit for not been a DX12 benchmark, not use async properly, and in whole been optimized towards nvidia hardware.

I would wait for more information, before stating anything.

What is still clear;

Neither maxwell nor pascal support async in hardware.

They can impose all their driver-trikery to simulate "support", but that require extensive support from Nvidia on the individual title.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

@i_build_nanosuits

i return the question: why does the other reputable outlets show completely different results then your obscure source?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

i return the question: why does the other outlets show completely different results then your obscure source?

Link? I was curious and searched for sites that benched the same games in both DX11 and 12 to see whether it really has proper Async after reading your topic, this was the first that I found, it's one of the three most well-known Polish tech-sites, but maybe they screwed the benchmarks up somehow

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

@i_build_nanosuits

From a GTX 1060 review and benchmarks:

-SNIP-

Because they all use far too many queues for Maxwell and Pascal to handle. There isn't a tuned code path for Nvidia in DX 12.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Because they all use far too many queues for Maxwell and Pascal to handle. There isn't a tuned code path for Nvidia in DX 12.

But why is that? I mean, I want to understand why Nvidia doesn't fix that issue and what is the cause of the issue, care to explain? Thanks in advance

i should have known the AMD fanbabies would come at me with pitchforks.

That was not the goal of this post, i don't feel like arguying, the proofs are there.

Pascal DOES get improved performance from Async compute support under DX12, now deal with it.
i'm out. (this forum really sucks, it's a good thinhg for nvidia users...that DOES NOT mean it's a BAD thing for AMD fanboys...GROW UP!!)

That was not the goal of this post, i don't feel like arguying, the proofs are there.

Pascal DOES get improved performance from Async compute support under DX12, now deal with it.
i'm out. (this forum really sucks, it's a good thinhg for nvidia users...that DOES NOT mean it's a BAD thing for AMD fanboys...GROW UP!!)

Did you see the videos comments section?

PMSL

But why is that? I mean, I want to understand why Nvidia doesn't fix that issue and what is the cause of the issue, care to explain? Thanks in advance

The issue is simple: AMD is the only one helping developers with DX 12 right now.

The cause is simple: Nvidia knows you don't need 32+ queues to get the main benefits of Asynchronous Compute and Shading. We've been using 1 up until now, so it logically follows we don't suddenly need 32 or 64 despite what AMD keeps pushing to make up for its own lousy drivers. Nvidia's hardware handles less, and AMD is taking advantage of it right now. Does that mean Nvidia's hardware is any less fit for DX 12? IMHO, no, because AMD is being wholly disingenuous with this push for maximum asynchronous compute and shading as if it's magic fairy dust and more is better when clearly there's an upper limit being surpassed here.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Only reason I put my original comment is because concurrent async has a higher latency compared to native hardware based async. 

Did you see the videos comments section?

no not really...the level of stupidity in the youtube comments section is usually beyond bearable..the amount of un-educated clueless morons that post there is usually simply too much for me to handle...i don't waste time there anymore.

I will say though, i will download this timespy benchmark tonight at home and i will test with my 980ti and see if i get improvements from Async compute as well (i hope so :p)

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Well yes but we all knew it had Async support and it does get performance gains. Nobody has really disputed that. Does it benefit as much as AMD when used properly? Nope. So the same conclusion everyone has had for weeks now...

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

The issue is simple: AMD is the only one helping developers with DX 12 right now.

The cause is simple: Nvidia knows you don't need 32+ queues to get the main benefits of Asynchronous Compute and Shading. We've been using 1 up until now, so it logically follows we don't suddenly need 32 or 64 despite what AMD keeps pushing to make up for its own lousy drivers. Nvidia's hardware handles less, and AMD is taking advantage of it right now. Does that mean Nvidia's hardware is any less fit for DX 12? IMHO, no, because AMD is being wholly disingenuous with this push for maximum asynchronous compute and shading as if it's magic fairy dust and more is better when clearly there's an upper limit being surpassed here.

Hmmmm, but considering what transitioning from DX11 to DX12 in Ashes of the Singularity, which is a DX12 showcase game benchmark, does to a 390X (that it surpassed 980Ti's DX12 score), is it really that bad that they used that many queues? If they do improve performance THAT much, what's wrong with that? Not like it's the 64x tesselation that decreases FPS by half when used ;-;

Didn't we all know Pascal had software Async support already? 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive