Seagate's NEW up to 10 TB Harddrives

The Benjamins

seagate-guardian_678x452.jpg

Our recent interview with Seagate's CTO, Mark Re, gave us an idea about of the future of the hard drive market. As late as Q1 2016, Seagate had considered helium-based drives suitable for high-end applications only. However, the fast-changing competitive landscape, as well as changes in consumer requirements, have made it necessary for Seagate to re-evaluate the options. Today, the Guardian Series, consisting of a portfolio of 10TB helium-based drives, is being launched for various segments in the mainstream consumer market.

Seagate launched a 10TB helium drive for enterprise applications back in April. The technology is now making its way into 10TB drives for three different market segments:

• Desktop computing, with the BarraCuda Pro
  • NAS units (1 to 8-bay) with the IronWolf series
  • Surveillance (NVRs and DVRs) with the SkyHawk series

One of the important aspects to note here is that only the 10TB drives are helium-based. All the drives being launched today are 7200 RPM drives and use traditional perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) technology

guardian-compare_575px.png

Nice to see HDD sizes keep getting bigger, lets hope this drives thee pricing of the 6 - 8TB models down.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10496/seagate-guardian-series-10tb-hdd-portfolio-brings-helium-mainstream

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Segate

drowning-o.gif

though I'm glad they can keep pushing spinning rust mechanical drives further. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

lol. watch the failure rates be even worse.

#WDTeam

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

lol. watch the failure rates be even worse.

#WDTeam

I never had issues with Segate or WD, I only had issues with crap OEM Hitachi drives

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

I never had issues with Segate or WD, I only had issues with crap OEM Hitachi drives

It's like saying my uncle smokes cigarette for fifty years without any sign of cancer(this is true).

Sample size is too small.

12 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

go look at the failure rates of Seagate drives compared to WD.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

9 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

I never found a good test for that. do you have a source?

14 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

Failure rate seems to be only higher for the 3TB Seagate models... Basically avoid them but the rest of their line up is actually fine. ;)

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I never found a good test for that. do you have a source?

Watch him fish up BackBlaze like a muppet

Seagate were actually the lowest RMA HDD brand in 2012, 2013 and 2014 when discounting their 3TB drives. (Never buy odd-capacity drives, regardless of brand)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

36 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

what's your source? that blackblaze list that has a failed method and isnt scientificly reliable?

on topic:

nice! hopefully reliable and high capacity drives for the right price.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

21 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Watch him fish up BackBlaze like a muppet

Seagate were actually the lowest RMA HDD brand in 2012, 2013 and 2014 when discounting their 3TB drives. (Never buy odd-capacity drives, regardless of brand)

I don't think it's just odd capacity drives. I've heard similar reports/rumors about 6tb drives having a similar issue. It seems to be drives that are multiples of 1.5tb that have problems.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why is everybody on the HDD industry sitting on their asses?

Well done for delivering FireCuda 2 years too late.

BarraCuda Pro is just a joke cos of the prices off these drives.

SkyHawk is way too late lol to be relevant and IronWolf is weird.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I thought 10TB drives had been out for a while now?  These are simply newer, more consumer oriented models?

On the issue of magnetic HDDs, I think manufactures need to just plain give up on magnetic drive speed.  Just build slow speed, highly reliable, extra large drives.  Magnetics will have cost/GB for a long time still.  That is where they need to stay focused, on size and reliability.  HDDs can't even pretend to compete on speed, and SSDs are already larger than HDDs.  The only advantage to HDDs is cost, and even that is only worth it on the larger storage solutions.  Cause any system with only a few drives that doesn't need many TBs of storage, may find more benefit from going with SSDs than the cost savings of using HDDs. 

9 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

I thought 10TB drives had been out for a while now?  These are simply newer, more consumer oriented models?

On the issue of magnetic HDDs, I think manufactures need to just plain give up on magnetic drive speed.  Just build slow speed, highly reliable, extra large drives.  Magnetics will have cost/GB for a long time still.  That is where they need to stay focused, on size and reliability.  HDDs can't even pretend to compete on speed, and SSDs are already larger than HDDs.  The only advantage to HDDs is cost, and even that is only worth it on the larger storage solutions.  Cause any system with only a few drives that doesn't need many TBs of storage, may find more benefit from going with SSDs than the cost savings of using HDDs. 

Ya its a 4 new model ranges

Will not touch a seagate drive ever, had a 3tb drive die on me suddenly. in less than two years. I have a wd blue 500gb that i bought 5 years ago and it is still working fine. Will not trust their drives even if i get them for free.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

It's like saying my uncle smokes cigarette for fifty years without any sign of cancer(this is true).

Sample size is too small.

Sure, and the tests on which the "Seagate drives suck" stuff is based lack a ton of other requirements for a classic experiment

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

But it's Seagate... :/

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

57 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Sure, and the tests on which the "Seagate drives suck" stuff is based lack a ton of other requirements for a classic experiment

I'm not saying Seagate drives suck. Just saying the way OP defend is less than comprehensive.

Just now, Lethal Seraph said:

But it's Seagate... :/

is that supposed to mean we can give them free hugs and call it a day?

Cos honestly, I make no exceptions. It could be Toshiba or hitatchi or WD for all I care. People who make bad products deserve to be called out.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

is that supposed to mean we can give them free hugs and call it a day?

Cos honestly, I make no exceptions. It could be Toshiba or hitatchi or WD for all I care. People who make bad products deserve to be called out.

Oh really. Well let me enlighten you.

In 2011 there was a major flood in Thailand. This wrought havoc on Western Digital and Toshiba, two out of four of the major hard drive manufacturing companies. These two companies could not operate at even 10% for almost a full year after this. Left to pick up the slack were Seagate and Hitachi.

These two companies were forced to lower QA standards to meet the unexpected demand. Both had to send B/ B+ bin stock to market. Naturally, this meant drives with imperfections, some of which normally wouldn't be sold, ended up on market. Seagate lowered prices on their range of products in this time span, to offset the expected quality hit.

Not surprisingly, there were high failure-in -warranty and RMA issues as a direct result of this. The alternative would have been not meeting demands for storage which could potentially crash an integral part of civilization as we know it. Facebook and Google infrastructure would croak.

And 5 years later, SEAGATE are still taking shit for this, for not choosing to kneecap the internet.

And the truth is, now, Seagate are factually an exemplar of quality but still have their reputation dragged through the mud for just doing the right thing in a time of crisis. Once burnt, twice shy, thrice idiot.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well, at least it is 10TB, so the failure rates can't be as bad.

Seagate 10TB? For survelliance?

Not in a billion years.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

HDDs also have the advantage of being safer for archival use than SSDs. SSDs still suffer from sudden and usually unrecoverable failures (albeit the failure rate is lower than that of HDDs) whereas HDDs tend to give some form of warning and are also far easier to recover data from. This obviously isn't much of an issue if you have some form of mirror/parity raid, but the vast majority of people won't have that thereby making HDDs a better solution for archival purposes.

2 hours ago, nawaf said:

Will not touch a seagate drive ever, had a 3tb drive die on me suddenly. in less than two years. I have a wd blue 500gb that i bought 5 years ago and it is still working fine. Will not trust their drives even if i get them for free.

One instance of bad luck should affect your view of a company..... All products suffer from the occasional defect and judging an entire company based on one bad experience is asanine.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That's some great storage. Good to see such capacity on consumer side. Awesome for mass storage and videos. Would want one. Maybe I would get it later on who knows.
Anyway, I've seen people say their drives fail. Well from my experience I never had issues with their drives before. Now I have 1TB and 3TB HDD and they work great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |