Bethesda Caught Copying FO:NV mod and using it in FO4 Far Harbor dlc

goodtofufriday

Source: http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-leaves/news/big-publishers-and-a-small-mod

Its important to first note that the creator of the mod, Moddb, is fine with this and that techincally bethesda owns any mod made for their games under their TOS.

That being said, they could at least credit the man! They copied the setting, atmospheric theme, and story. It's so blatant that they copied it all, down to the interactions with different characters. Just read through the source. 

A few weeks before Fallout 4’s release, Autumn Leaves, a Fallout : New Vegas Mod was published on Moddb and the Nexus. It featured a colorful cast of excentric robots, in charge of a forgotten Vault where a strange murder happened. Sounds familiar ?

First off, both quests begins with a discussion through an interphone with the caretaker of the Vault, a headwaiter robot with a rather distinguished persona. The big mandatory Vault Door opens, leaving the player up for the exploration of said vault.

The main quest itself, which consists in investigating the murder by checking the crime scene, and speaking to every robot in the Vault :

The mysterious death of the prime financier of the Vault, who - in both cases - worked alongside Vault-Tec to build the special place.

The importance of voice modulators in the plot, to distinguish the robots between themselves.

The sexytime moment.

And of course, the mandatory “Let’s discuss paintings with a robot.”

Then, there’s the Neural Interface Matrix in BD versus the Neuro Comp Matrix in AL, the presence (and relevance to the plot) of a robotic expert in the Vault, the feel of the central atrium, the quasi-exclusive robotic cast confronted to a murder, the misleading piece of evidence (Keith/Rolland), among others.

tumblr_inline_o9ccfgrFPW1rtbkes_1280.pngtumblr_inline_o9ccf0K1vn1rtbkes_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_o9bthfGHPG1rtbkes_1280.pngtumblr_inline_o9bth0v9rJ1rtbkes_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_o9bs062pqS1rtbkes_1280.pngtumblr_inline_o9brzfwAPy1rtbkes_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_o9bs7dvFIo1rtbkes_1280.pngtumblr_inline_o9bs6gV7ka1rtbkes_1280.jpg

Of course, it raises some questions : should modders get some recognition from the industry, compensation? How could those two dynamics - paid content and free creation - should be managed? What kind of acknowledgement should a big publisher give to small creators? What is the kind of acknowledgement they can afford?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

*grabs popcorn and waits for response from Bethesda*

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

i'd be fucking honored if they thought my creation was worthy to be canon

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I feel like the title is inaccurate. Like you said, Bethesda isn't stealing this content since they technically own it.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Did Bethesda at least paid the modder money to put his content into the game?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Did Bethesda at least give the modder money before putting his content into the game?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

3 minutes ago, nosirrah123 said:

I feel like the title is inaccurate. Like you said, Bethesda isn't stealing this content since they technically own it.

Edited to better reflect.

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Edited to better reflect.

Still not accurate. Bethesda wasn't "caught" because they own the mod. "Fails to credit" seems more to the point.

6 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

Did Bethesda at least paid the modder money to put his content into the game?

Why would they? They already own the mod. At least, he should get a notable mention in the credits. He should only get paid if they were feeling really nice.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

Still not accurate. Bethesda wasn't "caught" because they own the mod. "Fails to credit" seems more to the point.

I feel its accurate since they did copy his word almost verbatim.  

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

Not really. Because they own it. "Caught" implies that they had something to hide, which they don't.

Failing to even credit the guy is bad form, but technically no wrongdoing occurred. He gave up the rights to his work by doing it in the first place.

Hey they were caught earlier a few weeks with Skyrim HD edition which is basically Texture and ENB mods, perhaps even lifted too xDxD

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

They didn't copy his work at all. They literally already owned it. All mods made are property of Bethesda, made using their dedicated tool that they release. Mods that are 100% custom scripts with no interaction with creation kit become a weird gray area, but are still (arguably) Bethesdas property.

He should be in the credits though, imo.

This makes me feel like the paid mods thing is actually a thing again except the creator now gets no credit, solution make your mods not work on console so bethesda feels sad.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

17 minutes ago, Maslofski said:

i'd be fucking honored if they thought my creation was worthy to be canon

indeed. 

Might get name in credits :o

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

They didn't copy his work at all. They literally already owned it. All mods made are property of Bethesda, made using their dedicated tool that they release. Mods that are 100% custom scripts with no interaction with creation kit become a weird gray area, but are still (arguably) Bethesdas property.

If the guy is American. In the civilized world however, ToSes are toilet paper and Bethesda owns shit of this man's work. He's SoL if he's in US though.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

51 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

If the guy is American. In the civilized world however, 

#1. Want to explain that bit?

#2. I don't actually see the issue, or why he should be paid anything. Nothing sarcastic on my end. I just think that Bethesda is both legally AND morally in the right, although he absolutely deserves a spot in the credits. We make mods out of love for the game and community, I would be honored to see my creation canonized. 

If I got it right, this sums up Bethesda atm:

1. Make incomplete games which work great with mods and need them to work as intended

2. Profit

3. Start "selling" those mods

4. Profit

5. If there is backlash, abort mission

6. Somehow still make profit

7. Use those mods for free to improve the game and sell it regardlessly full a hefty price

8. Profit

9. Repeat process under a different name

10. Profit

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Lots of false info going around here. I am going to quote the Darkone from the nexus.

"Secondly, Bethesda don’t own mods made with the Creation Kit. By using the Creation Kit to create a mod, you grant Bethesda a license to pretty much do anything with your work, but that doesn’t mean they own it. Indeed, the license agreement specifically states “Ownership. As between You and ZeniMax, You are the owner of Your Game Mods and all intellectual property rights therein, subject to the licenses You grant to ZeniMax in this Agreement.”. It doesn’t get any clearer than that. Mod authors own their mods, but Zenimax are granted licenses within the agreement to do a number of things with it. Once again, Zenimax are granted licenses, NOT YOU.

Lastly, the Creation Kit license agreement only covers content made within the Creation Kit itself. It would not include things made with software outside of the Creation Kit including, but not limited to, models, textures, animations, sound effects and so on and so forth. Zenimax/Bethesda are not granted licenses to that content unless authors specifically upload said content to Bethesda.net.

What we take from this is that mods are owned by mod authors, irrespective of what they contain. And as a result, the work is automatically copyrighted (as is all unique work you create) and authors can protect their work like anyone else on the internet who has made unique work themselves."

Source: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12815/?

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

47 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If I got it right, this sums up Bethesda atm:

1. Make incomplete games which work great with mods and need them to work as intended

2. Profit

3. Start "selling" those mods

4. Profit

5. If there is backlash, abort mission

6. Somehow still make profit

7. Use those mods for free to improve the game and sell it regardlessly full a hefty price

8. Profit

9. Repeat process under a different name

10. Profit

I guess the combo breaker should be CDProjekt Red: Can't wait for Cyberpunk.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

They still copied the mod... They have every legal right to, but they still copied it by the very definition of the word copy...

To take from one place, and replicate in another..

4 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

#1. Want to explain that bit?

#2. I don't actually see the issue, or why he should be paid anything. Nothing sarcastic on my end. I just think that Bethesda is both legally AND morally in the right, although he absolutely deserves a spot in the credits. We make mods out of love for the game and community, I would be honored to see my creation canonized. 

The jist of it is that the Bethesda ToS can say whatever it wants, it doesn't mean it's legal or legally binding.  They don't necessarily own a piece of IP just because they have a piece of paper they made that says so.  In a lot of places ownership rights are inalienable, even with a contract(a ToS is nowhere near a contract)

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers