How do you become a moderator on this forum?

Hi so i have a question and im not sure if it is supposed to be even in this section of the forum. but how do you become a mod on this forum? or is that something that the higher ups decide? im not interested in becoming staff but im just curious on how the staff application procedure works here. thanks, if this post is breaking the community rules then im sorry and i had no idea about it and feel free to take this post down if you see it fit to do so. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I think you need to be willing to perform "certain acts".

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

you need to be canadian enough apperantly.

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

8 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so i have a question and im not sure if it is supposed to be even in this section of the forum. but how do you become a mod on this forum?

That's quite a transcendent concept. To become a mod on this forum you must convert yourself into Greasemonkey script and then you'll be able to interface with the content. The only limitations are that people need to download you for this to work.

You'll need to get banned first.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

19 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

if this post is breaking the community rules then im sorry

Hey, this is not how it works. You need to read the rules first and then post, not post and then read the rules.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Apparently there's a hidden section of the forums with a thread for staff rec. that they post suggestions of users in. They then comment on the suggestions trying to find people who they believe would integrate into the current team without issue. Finding those people is hard, but staff applications are generally not accepted; people who submit them (coming from personal experience) tend to have ulterior motives, or inconsistencies that would only hurt a tightly knit team.

@Ryan_Vickers commented on how they do it not too long ago, but the thread has since been deleted for one reason or another.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Hulk gets real angry & turns green when turning into a destructive beast that tears his threads apart & bans anyone who opposes him, forum name changes to green when becoming a mod & the rest follows, Coincidence? :ph34r:

Details separate people.

On 10/12/2015 at 3:25 PM, colonel_mortis said:

Unicorn sacrifices are involved, though you do have to catch one first.

But seriously, if you're noticed as being a positive member of the community, you may be contacted about becoming a mod. We're not looking for any new mods right now though.

I found this post by colonel_mortis from back in October.

I kinda figured that it was like if senpai notices you and feels you might be a good addition to the team and that the team could use some more help then you might be asked to join the mod team. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

you become a moderator by not asking, and being an overall positive influence on the community.

then, when the great wizards of the hidden cove of the staff section decide they require an addition to their team they will look for the person that applies to their requirements the most.

what those requirements are is a well kept secret, and may be changing constantly for all we know. all you can do is try to be a positive influence.

One must first sacrifice 1000 GPUs to the gods of Overclock.

Then one must reach the highest peaks of Mount Watercooler.

Finally, one must not ask how to become a moderator.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

8 hours ago, Gale said:

Hey, this is not how it works. You need to read the rules first and then post, not post and then read the rules.

I did double check the rules before asking and they said nothing about asking how the staff system works here. Also I'm asking this out of curiousity. I have no desire or need to try and apply for staff. Even if someone offered me a position I'd still decline since I know I'm not fit or up for the task. I said that last piece just in case there's some hidden rule or something that I missed. 

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

you become a moderator by not asking, and being an overall positive influence on the community.

then, when the great wizards of the hidden cove of the staff section decide they require an addition to their team they will look for the person that applies to their requirements the most.

what those requirements are is a well kept secret, and may be changing constantly for all we know. all you can do is try to be a positive influence.

Thanks for the insight, but I have no desire or need to be a part of the staff. I just asked this question out of pure curiosity. I actually enjoy my place as being a member of this forum rather than take the heavy burden of responsibilities and duties that come with being a part of the staff team here on the forum. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

23 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

One must first sacrifice 1000 GPUs to the gods of Overclock.

Then one must reach the highest peaks of Mount Watercooler.

Finally, one must not ask how to become a moderator.

That's part of the sacrifice ritual, but I think there's more to it. Maybe once you do reach the highest peaks there might be more sacrifices and rituals that must be performed, maybe one day the secrets will become clear to all.

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Apparently there's a hidden section of the forums with a thread for staff rec. that they post suggestions of users in. They then comment on the suggestions trying to find people who they believe would integrate into the current team without issue. Finding those people is hard, but staff applications are generally not accepted; people who submit them (coming from personal experience) tend to have ulterior motives, or inconsistencies that would only hurt a tightly knit team.

@Ryan_Vickers commented on how they do it not too long ago, but the thread has since been deleted for one reason or another.

Wow, I've never knew about that. Still, as I said before and either I don't have the desire or need to become a part of the staff team. I just asked this out of plan curiosity since I've noticed how well maintained this forum is (apart from that occasional overpriced troll pcpartpicker lists that I sometimes see trolls post) and I know that in order to have such order and efficiency it has to mean that the staff team is cherry picked and or they know each other in real life somewhere out in Canada or something. 

8 hours ago, wcreek said:

I found this post by colonel_mortis from back in October.

I kinda figured that it was like if senpai notices you and feels you might be a good addition to the team and that the team could use some more help then you might be asked to join the mod team. 

So basically it's the "we come to you if we see you fit" kind of method right? I actully like that as then the staff are much better cherry picked then opposed to other forums like spigotmc where anyone can apply as staff or moderator there. Still I don't have the desire or need to be staff here, I'm just asking this out of curiousity since each forum works and handles things differently 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

So basically it's the "we come to you if you see you fit" kind of method right? I actully like that as then the staff are much better cherry picked then opposed to other forums like spigotmc where anyone can apply as staff or moderator there. Still I don't have the desire or need to be staff here, I'm just asking this out of curiousity since each forum works and handles things differently 

its a secret

but if you wire me $10000 I can tell you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Wow, I've never knew about that. Still, as I said before and either I don't have the desire or need to become a part of the staff team. I just asked this out of plan curiosity since I've noticed how well maintained this forum is (apart from that occasional overpriced troll pcpartpicker lists that I sometimes see trolls post) and I know that in order to have such order and efficiency it has to mean that the staff team is cherry picked and or they know each other in real life somewhere out in Canada or something. 

Most of the mods have been around since at least this current incarnation, and the previous of the forums. Of the team working now, most have been here for 3 or more years, so its a given they work well together.

But yea, until recently i often thought the same thing, how they managed to at least in public put up such level judgment across the board; there's not really any incidents i can recall that put any one staff member out that much, they all seem like they could be the same person.

Except for ryan here, he posts too much to be a real mod. He must just be a fake robot PR rep for the mods, trying to keep their public faces up by posting in every thread ever created here on the forums. ;)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Most of the mods have been around since at least this current incarnation, and the previous of the forums. Of the team working now, most have been here for 3 or more years, so its a given they work well together.

But yea, until recently i often thought the same thing, how they managed to at least in public put up such level judgment across the board; there's not really any incidents i can recall that put any one staff member out that much, they all seem like they could be the same person.

Except for ryan here, he posts too much to be a real mod. He must just be a fake robot PR rep for the mods, trying to keep their public faces up by posting in every thread ever created here on the forums. ;)

Lol maybe he's secretly an industry affiliate of LMG? But still in the PR department. I like the staff here as they don't hammer down seriously on the light things. When I was new here I got a friendly reminder about the max signature font size and back then I didn't know anything about it and it was an honest mistake. Back when I was at toms hardware one of my mistakes costed me my account. 

7 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

So basically it's the "we come to you if you see you fit" kind of method right? I actully like that as then the staff are much better cherry picked then opposed to other forums like spigotmc where anyone can apply as staff or moderator there. Still I don't have the desire or need to be staff here, I'm just asking this out of curiousity since each forum works and handles things differently 

Yeah pretty much, I mean it could still be cherry picked if they had people openly apply for becoming a mod.

I guess if there was one day I was asked if I wanted to be a mod, I think I would consider. The idea sounds cool, but it does seem like it could be pretty difficult at times too. But yeah like others said, and kinda myself too. They'll approach someone if they feel that they'll integrate into the team nicely.

7 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Lol maybe he's secretly an industry affiliate of LMG? But still in the PR department. I like the staff here as they don't hammer down seriously on the light things. When I was new here I got a friendly reminder about the max signature font and back then I didn't know anything about it and it was an honest mistake. Back when I was at toms hardware one of my mistakes costed me my account. 

Yeah the mod team here is pretty lax, though I've seen people on here get banned for one reason or another who seemingly weren't likely to have that happen to them. But of course mods don't like it when you ask about how someone was banned or even speculate on how someone was banned.

6 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Lol maybe he's secretly an industry affiliate of LMG? But still in the PR department. I like the staff here as they don't hammer down seriously on the light things. When I was new here I got a friendly reminder about the max signature font size and back then I didn't know anything about it and it was an honest mistake. Back when I was at toms hardware one of my mistakes costed me my account. 

I can sense a conspiracy theory forming here.

Well, its transitioned into fact, Ryan_Vickers is in fact, a robot industry affiliate of a shadow company hired by LMG to maintain a healthy image of the moderation team.

This is a fact I can live with I think, though, I must admit, it seems too mundane and realistic to be shocking.

7 hours ago, wcreek said:

Yeah pretty much, I mean it could still be cherry picked if they had people openly apply for becoming a mod.

I guess if there was one day I was asked if I wanted to be a mod, I think I would consider. The idea sounds cool, but it does seem like it could be pretty difficult at times too. But yeah like others said, and kinda myself too. They'll approach someone if they feel that they'll integrate into the team nicely.

Yeah the mod team here is pretty lax, though I've seen people on here get banned for one reason or another who seemingly weren't likely to have that happen to them. But of course mods don't like it when you ask about how someone was banned or even speculate on how someone was banned.

I basically got banned off toms because my signature was a gif banner and apperantly only staff are allowed to have gif banners as their signatures. So I got whacked by the ban hammer there.

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I basically got banned off toms because my signature was a gif banner and apperantly only staff are allowed to have gif banners. So I got whacked by the ban hammer there.

I remember I got PM'd by a mod when I was still pretty new here and was told that sigs can't have videos.