Another tesla auto pilot crash

spartaman64

Another idiot who wasn't following the rules. Having said that the autopilot tech is cool but I for one will never use it Iv been driving for thirteen years and never had an accident, not saying I will either.

If people want to sit back and read a newspaper or go to sleep in their auto pilot cars their insurance premium should be higher not trying to be a dick but doing stupid things could cause a lot of grief down the line, so please keep your hands on the wheel if they are too lazy to drive or at least keep observant stay off the road. 

1 hour ago, PCBjon said:

If people want to sit back and read a newspaper or go to sleep in their auto pilot cars their insurance premium should be higher 

It's pretty likely that they are still safer than manual drivers

I think it's going to become a reality that your insurance is going to go up if you want to continue driving in the coming decades.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

23 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

It's pretty likely that they are still safer than manual drivers

I think it's going to become a reality that your insurance is going to go up if you want to continue driving in the coming decades.

Some are (and in the future will be orders of magnitude better), but this, right now, I would argue is most definitely not.  It's already killed someone, and by the sounds of it, only luck stopped it from happening again with this story.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Some are (and in the future will be orders of magnitude better), but this, right now, I would argue is most definitely not.  It's already killed someone, and by the sounds of it, only luck stopped it from happening again with this story.

And thus statistically speaking, this is still much safer than manual drivers...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It's only a very advanced driver aid - it's not an autonomous vehicle. There are only three reasons you'll have an accident in the current Tesla models:

1. Someone hit me
  2. I hit something else because I wasn't paying attention/following road rules
  3. The car had mechanical failure, which caused me to hit something else

Oh, the car didn't stop for the semi trailer and had an accident - well clearly you didn't see it either, so what were you up to? 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Tesla's AP, like every other vehicle driver aid is, and always has been, a second line of protection should the driver fail to stop. 

AP hasn't killed someone, the driver killed himself by not following the road rules and driving dangerously on the road. - The AP sensors failed to pickup the trailer due to the height of the obstacle. Given the size of the obstacle being a massive trailer, we can safely assume that the primary pilot of the vehicle failed to notice the trailer, wasn't paying attention, or wasn't in control.

This was either a tragic road casualty caused by a driver, or suicide. 

6 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Well autopilot isnt free you need to pay 17k or so dollars to get the systems required for AP installed so sort of a waste if you dont use it

Are you adding in the car itself? Cause AP activation fee is only 2500.   3000 if you activate after purchase of a tesla

50 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Tesla's AP, like every other vehicle driver aid is, and always has been, a second line of protection should the driver fail to stop. 

AP hasn't killed someone, the driver killed himself by not following the road rules and driving dangerously on the road. - The AP sensors failed to pickup the trailer due to the height of the obstacle. Given the size of the obstacle being a massive trailer, we can safely assume that the primary pilot of the vehicle failed to notice the trailer, or wasn't paying attention or in control.

This was either a tragic road casualty caused by a driver, or suicide. 

Well, actually, yeah you're 100% right.  The problem comes in when people think AP is a google car and trust it 100% only to discover that's barely better than doing the same with cruise control.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

They really need to change the name of AutoPilot. It gives a false sense of actual autonomous driving. Something along the lines of advanced cruise control or something. In the end, it is the user's fault for not paying attention. but Tesla really should make it not so easy to simply set and ignore the road. Something like you can't let go of the wheel for more than a minute at a time (will do extremely annoying beeps).  Good if you want to do a quick reach back for stuff, but still makes you keep your hands on the wheel most of the time. Or eye tracking, but I do not know how accurate it would be.

40 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

Are you adding in the car itself? Cause AP activation fee is only 2500.   3000 if you activate after purchase of a tesla

oh yea i didnt check and for some reason i thought it was 17k

9 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

Again what was the dude doing. You are suppose to be able to take control at a moments notice and be looking ahead for things. Driver error

But that is less likely to happen than people reading the EULAs for games they buy. The point of autopilot is that a person doesn't have to drive, and so people will put their attention elsewhere.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Here's how I know Tesla self-driving cars are more secure and normal drivers though: Every time someone crashes in a Tesla, it's news.

On the other hand, whenever a normal car crash shows up in the news, it shows up in the form of "There's been this many in this month"

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Well autopilot isnt free you need to pay 17k or so dollars to get the systems required for AP installed so sort of a waste if you dont use it

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Didn't realize that.  So it's a total waste if you install it by the looks of things.

not sure where you got the $17k number, Verge is saying its $3k: http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/18/11451236/tesla-autopilot-trial-self-driving-autonomous

(which i didn't know, thought it was free). Nonetheless, I think its worth it since if you can afford the 80k car, another 3k is worth it for making a daily work commute

less draining.

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

I'm thinking that tesla should implement a feature where AP turns off in places with bad roads.

This and in addition i think they should have people earn a type of license to use this feature, some kind of training course because it is obvious people are not using it safely.

7 hours ago, zMeul said:

why activate it in the 1st place if it's incapable of self driving without chopping your head off

in most states, not talking about US states, it's illegal to take your hands off the wheel while driving

ever since Tesla announced public availability of the AP, I was against it - you wither have 100% robots on the road, or you have none

they're consciously killing people - it's not even a matter of when since it already happened

source on when AP caused someone's head being chopped off please. And if you look at the ratio of miles driven to accidents the autopilot does better than human driving.

Still though Autopilot is not meant to replace human driving, it is more of an advanced cruise control and needs to be emphasized as such. Even though i think its cool, i honestly don't know how people can trust it enough to take over driving for them, its just an assistance.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

There's a simple reason why even airliners where autopilot has been implemented for decades still require two people physically in the cockpit.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

You're currently not suppose to use autopilot on a road without a center divider.

http://electrek.co/2016/07/12/tesla-model-x-autopilot-accident-montana-tesla-statement/http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/12/technology/tesla-autopilot-accident/

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

There's a simple reason why even airliners where autopilot has been implemented for decades still require two people physically in the cockpit.

You're right, pilots are there because technology doesn't always work 100% of the time, it fails now and again. Autopilots on aircraft are no different and fail more often than you would think. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen autopilots just begin to roll the aircraft left of right for no apparent reason. We're also there because of traffic, take-offs, landings, weather, etc.

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

57 minutes ago, Giddyguy said:

source on when AP caused someone's head being chopped off please. And if you look at the ratio of miles driven to accidents the autopilot does better than human driving.

not literally

but a Tesla did went under a trailer because it didn't saw it, killing the owner

and the question is how long, not when, until a group of pedestrians are mower over by A.I.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not literally

but a Tesla did went under a trailer because it didn't saw it, killing the owner

and the question is how long, not when, until a group of pedestrians are mower over by A.I.

A bit generous calling AP an AI, don't you think? :P 

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

A bit generous calling AP an AI, don't you think? :P 

every form of autonomous system can be considered a primitive form of AI

Tesla's AP is aware, to an extent, of it's environment - it might a miss a trailer or a stump in the road, might kill you .. but hey, it's for science

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

every form of autonomous system can be considered a primitive form of AI

Tesla's AP is aware, to an extent, of it's environment - it might a miss a trailer or a stump in the road, might kill you .. but hey, it's for science

^ being the key words :P 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

^ being the key words :P 

yes, and it's shocking they're allowed to carry this experiment on humans and potential victims who didn't signed up for being guinea pigs

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, and it's shocking they're allowed to carry this experiment on humans and potential victims who didn't signed up for being guinea pigs

Yes.  Well, I mean you "sign up" by using it.  No one's forcing you to xD 

Everybody can go to dodgy places and blame autopilot. The technology that isn't really a true "autopilot". 

It's very easy to blame Tesla. 

I agree with AP function to be disabled automatically in locations with bad roads.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, Thony said:

Everybody can go to dodgy places and blame autopilot. The technology that isn't really a true "autopilot". 

It's very easy to blame Tesla. 

I agree with AP function to be disabled automatically in locations with bad roads.

Yea, back to my airliner analogy, when an airplane's autopilot detects something it doesn't like/understand, the pilot is notified and autopilot will be disengaged automatically.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

So then the dude probably would have crashes as well and should have been going much slower

True, always run slow in rural areas.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide