Seagate to fire 14% of its staff (= 6,500) people

Seagate is set to fire 6,500 people = 14% of total staff members.

Earlier in June it was pretty much announced that seagate would have to make cuts in their personnel, but it has since expanded on its previous announcement of 1,600 employees

Seagate Technology Plc, a maker of disk drives for computer storage, expanded plans to cut jobs to 14 percent of the workforce, seeking to reduce costs to weather a prolonged slump in demand.

The company will eliminate about 6,500 positions by the end of fiscal 2017, according to a statement. Cupertino, California-based Seagate had previously indicated workforce cuts of about 3 percent, or 1,600 jobs, and the stock rallied as much as 13 percent on news of the broader restructuring. The moves will result in pretax charges of about $164 million next year.

source: Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-11/seagate-expands-job-cuts-to-6-500-as-pc-component-market-suffers

What’s more, the company noted today that it expects to sell more hard drives than it previously estimated: its latest revenue forecast for Q4 2016 is $2.65 billion, up from $2.3 billion in its last prediction.

The move will cost Seagate $164 million in pretax charges. A company spokesman told The Wall Street Journal that the newly announced job cuts will mainly affect employees involved in manufacturing operations; Seagate’s main manufacturing facilities are based in Malaysia and China, with some also in the US and the UK

While Seagate hopes to grow revenues by the end of the year, it remains to be seen if the company can innovate enough to stay in the game in the years to come, as disk-based storage continues to lose out to more stable and faster technologies. To that end, rival hard drive manufacturer Western Digital acquired flash storage firm SanDisk in May, after announcing a $19 billion deal last October.

source: The Next Web http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/07/12/seagate-cutting-6500-jobs-even-though-expects-sell-hard-drives/#gref

They might expect more HDD sales, but I feel that they are realizing that HDD's are a thing of the past. As long as their CEO keeps boasting that HDD's are not a thing of the past, we can keep laughing I guess :P

EDIT: I've changed 6.500 and 1.600 to 6,500 and 1,600 as some of you have pointed out. I'm european (dutch) so sorry for the inconvenience. Can't change the title though:$

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
changed title to reflect style of OP

SSD are taking over the market.

Today you can get 960GB SSD for 130$.

Slowly HDD will become thing of the past if you ask me, and seagate isn't working towards SSD as far as I know. So we can see more reports like that from them.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Well HDD are beginning to become obsolete so it's not a surprise they've had to cut back

Side note: I know in Spanish speaking countries 6.500 was six thousand 500 but was unaware this wasn't just a Spanish thing, learned something new I guess.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Their drives are crap so best they stay away from SSDs.

Nothing wrong with them.

Seagate is gone in 5-10 years. They will continue to diminish, only relying on high capacity backup drives. But even those will be surpassed by SSD's soon anyways. Mechanical HDD's are a thing of the past, and will be phased out over the next 5-10 years. Seagate didn't buy an SSD company like Western Digital did, and they will fall as a result.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well HDD are beginning to become obsolete so it's not a surprise they've had to cut back

Side note: I know in Spanish speaking countries 6.500 was six thousand 500 but was unaware this wasn't just a Spanish thing, learned something new I guess.

Same, I thought it was only francophones! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

12 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

SSD are taking over the market.

Today you can get 960GB SSD for 130$.

Slowly HDD will become thing of the past if you ask me, and seagate isn't working towards SSD as far as I know. So we can see more reports like that from them.

Where?! The best deals I can find are still just over $200!

That said, Samsung just began selling 16TB SSDs in a "thick" 2.5" form factor (can still fit 2 in a 3.5" bay if you turn them 90*), so yeah, HDDs have fallen behind on storage density by an enormous factor. If the cost/GB gets anywhere near parity to HDDs with the incredible performance consistency of SSDs, then it will be over for HDDs. Archiving is still best done on tape drives anyway.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

That said, Samsung just began selling 16TB SSDs in a "thick" 2.5" form factor (can still fit 2 in a 3.5" bay if you turn them 90*), so yeah, HDDs have fallen behind on storage density by an enormous factor. If the cost/GB gets anywhere near parity to HDDs with the incredible performance consistency of SSDs, then it will be over for HDDs. Archiving is still best done on tape drives anyway.

Amazon prime sale or something like that.

Some user posted it on our forum.

Not sure if it's a good SSD, but it's brand new :)

16TB SSD ... well that's a lot lol.

I just hope prices will keep dropping :D 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

sighhhhhh

dear young sensationalist posters on LTT

"Fired" has a hugely different connotation than "laid off"

Please use them correctly. It is very disrespectful to the now unfortunately unemployed to label them as "fired"

This is what happens when you do not embrace new technology and start transitioning. Whoever thought "Yeah ssds will never become a credible challenge to our business" is basically responsible for this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

i think its a european thing, ive only seen 6,500 in america, south america and central america

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

5 minutes ago, Maslofski said:

i think its a european thing, ive only seen 6,500 in america, south america and central america

Sorry, I'm dutch, so yeah it's sometimes confusing for me which one to use.:$

I've edited them now. I guess it's a european thing then as well.

2 minutes ago, HarmFull said:

I wasn't trying to get you to change it, just saying it was interesting is all, generally the context makes it obvious which one is being used.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 hours ago, HarmFull said:

totally, I learned with the EU system, moved to the american system and now back to UE system :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

you could 2x 480gb raid anyday, and gain performance and life span i guess, hope filtering shows http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100011693 4027 600414919

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173013

only problem could be if you have notebook and you need 1 TB drive

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

okey let's have an adult discussion 

That's an insane amount of layoffs. What country is this going to hit and what part of the company,, corporations. Usually. Layoff specific parts of the company. 

I feel for those employees I've been layoff and it sucked took two months To find another Job... 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

"Prolonged slump in demand", translation: people are keeping their Seagate drives cooled very well/have started rescuing Seagate HDD from poorly ventilated OEM 3.5" caddies.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, HarmFull said:

Seagate is set to fire 6,500 people = 14% of total staff members.

Earlier in June it was pretty much announced that seagate would have to make cuts in their personnel, but it has since expanded on its previous announcement of 1,600 employees

source: Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-11/seagate-expands-job-cuts-to-6-500-as-pc-component-market-suffers

source: The Next Web http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/07/12/seagate-cutting-6500-jobs-even-though-expects-sell-hard-drives/#gref

They might expect more HDD sales, but I feel that they are realizing that HDD's are a thing of the past. As long as their CEO keeps boasting that HDD's are not a thing of the past, we can keep laughing I guess :P

EDIT: I've changed 6.500 and 1.600 to 6,500 and 1,600 as some of you have pointed out. I'm european (dutch) so sorry for the inconvenience. Can't change the title though:$

You're title says "6.500". Change to "6,500" or "6500".

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

Their drives are crap so best they stay away from SSDs.

i have one and it's just fine. And also pls vote for what profile pic you liked the best from me.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're title says "6.500". Change to "6,500" or "6500".

I hardly think it's the crime of the century.

On-topic, SSD's are taking over, surely Seagate would have moved into the SSD market, or at least be looking to make the move?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.