Microsoft wants your help to Make PC Gaming Great Again!

AlTech

Microsoft wants your help to make PC gaming great again! The company has sent out a survey to all Windows Insiders registered as PC gamers. The company wants to know what kind of games you love, what games you've played recently, where you buys games and the components in your PC.

windows.PNG

All Windows Insiders who are gamers are encouraged to help make  PC gaming great again!

In your survey responses, you mentioned that you are a PC gamer. Since we aim to build the best Windows yet for gaming, we’d like find out more about what's important to you in PC gaming with a short, follow-up survey.

Yay! See! Everybody hating on Windows 10 can stop cos they care about making it better.

What do you think? Do you think Windows Insiders are sheep or do you think they are BETA Testers?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They probably just want some data they can show at some business conference later, about how all Microsoft Studio published games on PC and Xbox One will do super duper good.

I'm a little skeptical, because they have promised numerous times they wanted to make PC gaming/take it serious, but nothing really came from it. Cool that they seem to care now.. But I'm not gonna hype it up.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

They probably just want some data they can show at some business conference later, about how all Microsoft Studio published games on PC and Xbox One will do super duper good.

I'm a little skeptical, because they have promised numerous times they wanted to make PC gaming/take it serious, but nothing really came from it. Cool that they seem to care now.. But I'm not gonna hype it up.

No but they want to see if games are compatible with your PC aka. Does your PC have enough storage space? Does it have enough RAM? Does it have enough cores? That kinda thing as well as what kind of games people like AND what people like inside of games? (E.g. Game Mechanics)

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No but they want to see if games are compatible with your PC aka. Does your PC have enough storage space? Does it have enough RAM? Does it have enough cores? That kinda thing as well as what kind of games people like AND what people like inside of games? (E.g. Game Mechanics)

Do they only ask hardware and game specific questions? I would have expected them to ask about stuff like how driver support was and stuff about DirectX for example.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i guess they are fishing for PC-sided things in relation to the Xbone/PC cross compat thing.

i dont see how this could be any bad.

Dear Microsoft,

A message from PC Gamers on how to make Windows 10 the best for gaming:

1. Ditch the Windows Store and UWP.

2. Ditch the Windows Store and UWP.

3. Ditch the Windows Store and UWP.

4. Also, on my 8GB system compared to Win7 there's some RAM leak that makes restarts mandatory every 12 hours.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i guess they are fishing for PC-sided things in relation to the Xbone/PC cross compat thing.

It seems that they want to know what gamers like the most within games and also if gamers can play demanding games well or not.

I think this is an admission of guilt from them and how they will probably ditch Xbox consoles and instead focus on Xbox branded PCs by Microsoft.

1 minute ago, CommandMan7 said:

4. Also, on my 8GB system compared to Win7 there's some RAM leak that makes restarts mandatory every 12 hours.

well.. i have systems gladly run for months on end, maybe its not MS, but something you did wrong instead?

2 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

Dear Microsoft,

A message from PC Gamers on how to make Windows 10 the best for gaming:

1. Ditch the Windows Store and UWP.

2. Ditch the Windows Store and UWP.

3. Ditch the Windows Store and UWP.

Actually the UWP and Windows Store are permanent. If they got rid of that tomorrow half of your PC wouldn't work.

well.. i have systems gladly run for months on end, maybe its not MS, but something you did wrong instead?

I think  8GB on Windows 10 is enough for some things. But it seems like Windows 10 is allocating more RAM to UWP apps instead of Win32 programs.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually the UWP and Windows Store are permanent. If they got rid of that tomorrow half of your PC wouldn't work.

They're Microsoft, I'm sure they can control what is used their own products. Also I've never used either of those 2 things so I have no clue what vital functions rely on those.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think  8GB on Windows 10 is enough for some things. But it seems like Windows 10 is allocating more RAM to UWP apps instead of Win32 programs.

meanwhile win10 turned my mom's disaster of a netbook into a swiftly running device with 4GB ram and an APU smaller than your phone's arm processor.

meanwhile win10 turned my mom's disaster of a netbook into a swiftly running device with 4GB ram and an APU smaller than your phone's arm processor.

Of course it helps lower power devices, but I simply don't believe it can manage a large number (200+) programs on 8GB of RAM due to Windows 10 using RAM much more liberally than previous windows. Of course this drastically speeds up normal usage but under heavy usage the performance chokes on 8GB compared to Windows 7.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

MS will find a way.

I suspect like many corporate surveys it's purpose isn't to fact find, it's to pick out responses they like and focus on them intently, while ignoring responses they don't. They already know what they are going to do, this is just a formality.

Ultimately MS makes money off every XBOX game sold, and nothing off windows games they didn't publish, hence they'd much rather we gamed on XBOX. Either they are going to have another crack at taking Valves slice of the pie with the windows store, or to discourage PC gaming in the hope of many of us switching to XBOX. They won't succeed, but it doesn't mean they have our interests at heart, or that they won't inconvenience us along the way.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

MS will find a way.

I suspect like many corporate surveys it's purpose isn't to fact find, it's to pick out responses they like and focus on them intently, while ignoring responses they don't. They already know what they are going to do, this is just a formality.

Ultimately MS makes money off every XBOX game sold, and nothing off windows games they didn't publish, hence they'd much rather we gamed on XBOX. Either they are going to have another crack at taking Valves slice of the pie with the windows store, or to discourage PC gaming in the hope of many of us switching to XBOX. They won't succeed, but it doesn't mean they have our interests at heart, or that they won't inconvenience us along the way.

Anything which is sold on the Windows Store, they get a 30% cut of.

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Anything which is sold on the Windows Store, they get a 30% cut of.

both IOS and android are a 50% cut IIRC.

That's a convenient timing, a day after they retracted their statement. Oh yeah right, that's one way to make pc gaming even more great. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I do not believe Microsoft anymore and I also do not believe that they care about their customers. 

I just want to them to give us steam releases and crossplay without forcing another gfwl and disable auto updating.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I just want to them to give us steam releases and crossplay without forcing another gfwl and disable auto updating.

Ahah games for Windows live, what a wonderful piece of software, I gave up on replaying GTA IV on my PC because of that!

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yay! See! Everybody hating on Windows 10 can stop cos they care about making it better.

When I get an OS I want the OS to be the product being sold not me, they don't care about making it better for the consumer they want to release a bunch of good sounding PR before the 29th since they have some quota they want to reach to appease the suits in charge.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Way way way back before DX10 was a thing...

They said the same thing, lets make PC gaming great, that they were going to focus on it from within Windows.

Numerous times since then, every few years  (originally going back all the way to probably 2004-2005)

And.....

Here we are today.. same shit again... different questionnaire.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

6 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Ahah games for Windows live, what a wonderful piece of software, I gave up on replaying GTA IV on my PC because of that!

Yep, I still can't get that game to work legit, and that is also why I hate DRM (though windows live went above and beyond to suck ass)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yep, I still can't get that game to work legit, and that is also why I hate DRM (though windows live went above and beyond to suck ass)

Thank god it can be bought at 5€ on steam!

Imagine a 60€ game which doesn't work because Microsoft can't make games for pc?

Fun fact: The survey asks how many of your games are pirated. It also asks where you live, how much you play and so on. Sounds more like a honeypot or marketing survey than feedback to improve Windows.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Asking questions and making things better are two completely separate things. I wonder if they will do the same thing they did with the Windows 10 feedback system, and funnel most of the feedback right down into the recycling bin.

Edit: Going though the survey right now and so many of these questions doesn't make any sense. Some of them seem tailored towards a young teenager who is going to buy a prebuilt Alienware computer...