(Confirmed) GTX 1060 Allegedly Unveiled - 6GB for $249/299 USD

Go to solution Solved by Whiskers,

Alright, thread re-opened.

If any more insults, name-calling or crappy behaviour happens again in this thread it will be permanently locked, and those responsible will receive a good ol' barrel full o' warning points.

LTT is not the place for being a dick to one another. Discuss your differences in opinion politely or don't bother posting at all.

51 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Those are some aggressive prices. It is the same or lower than the RX 480 from what I can tell (in some places, quite a lot lower than the RX 480).

Now let's hope those prices are accurate, and that it actually delivers 980 performance. If that's the case then AMD will have to do some serious price drops to stay competitive.

You forgot to add 40-50 on top of the MSRP which will be the actual retail price.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

49 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I was going to use a 480 but I'm holding off at least until I know for sure the power issue has been fixed on the non-reference 480s.  

It should be.

If they use a custom power delivery design then I don't see any reason to assume that it has the same issue as the reference card.

If it uses the same the same power delivery as the reference card then the new driver should fix them too.

It is best to wait though. Worst case scenario is that you get your card a little later. Best case scenario you end up with better price:performance than if you buy it today.

36 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

You forgot to add 40-50 on top of the MSRP which will be the actual retail price.

You don't know that, and neither does anyone else. That would be an extra ~20% which sounds quite a lot.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

You don't know that, and neither does anyone else. That would be an extra ~20% which sounds quite a lot.

True, I can't bet my life on it, but it's pretty much the norm.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

5 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

True, I can't bet my life on it, but it's pretty much the norm.

I don't know what Nvidia set as the MSRP for their other cards, but the dollar to SEK convention rate in that table actually matches up with what their other 10 series cards sells for in Sweden. So based on that I will assume that it is fairly accurate. But I will set my expectations on it being slightly more expensive. 

1 hour ago, porina said:

nvidia UK confirming pricing start at £239.

239 pounds my ass...that's not happening...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I don't know what Nvidia set as the MSRP for their other cards, but the dollar to SEK convention rate in that table actually matches up with what their other 10 series cards sells for in Sweden. So based on that I will assume that it is fairly accurate. But I will set my expectations on it being slightly more expensive. 

Weird, right over here in Finland you're hard pressed to find 1080's for less than 770 €

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It is best to wait though. Worst case scenario is that you get your card a little later. Best case scenario you end up with better price:performance than if you buy it today.

You mean wait on a 480 or wait if I decide to get a 1060?

24 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Weird, right over here in Finland you're hard pressed to find 1080's for less than 770 €

Oh that got to sting.

Seems like the prices for this new generation is all over the place. Here in Sweden you can find them for 7000 SEK, so the regular "1 USD = 10 SEK" (10 SEK is about 1 Euro by the way) rule holds up very well (in the US they seem to be around 700 USD right now).

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You mean wait on a 480 or wait if I decide to get a 1060?

I mean wait for both cards to be out and then decide which one to get.

(in the US they seem to be around 700 USD right now).

Which is a cool 100 USD over MSRP.

1 minute ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Because of price gauging (caused by low stocks).

Hopefully that won't happen with the GTX 1060 but who knows. It's a lot smaller die than the 1080 so the yields should be way better.

Because of price gauging (caused by low stocks).

Hopefully that won't happen with the GTX 1060 but who knows. It's a lot smaller die than the 1080 so the yields should be way better.

Which is exactly the reason that the GTX 1060 will most likely be 40-50 over MSRP. The higher yields might alleviate that, but it's not certain. I kinda hope the prices don't climb too high, since I've got nearly a dozen client builds on hold because people are waiting for the GTX 1060 release.

22 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Yeah, that's what happens when there's no competition at the high-end/enthusiast performance tier.

Even worse for AMD, Nvidia will have custom cooled 1060's launch on the 19th before AMD AIB partners are even ready, which just proves how rushed AMD's 480 launch was. In some ways, it's poetic justice for what AMD pulled with the HD 7000 series, beating Nvidia to 28nm by several months, and gouging the crap out of consumers because there was no competition. It's not unprecedented behavior from either company.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I mean wait for both cards to be out and then decide which one to get.

I might have to wait anyway to save up the money for the rest of the build depending on what else I would get for it.

So slightly more performance than the 480 for 50USD more? I still think Im going for the 480 since if AMD's history follows, the card will get better over time

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

24 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

So slightly more performance than the 480 for 50USD more? I still think Im going for the 480 since if AMD's history follows, the card will get better over time

since nvidia custom cards are coming out on the 19th before the custom 480 cards, its definitely worth waiting to see the actual prices, no matter which chip you go for, because custom is definitely the way to go for the 480, and because the reference 1060 will be selling from Nvidia's website only in limited quantity - as a collector item I guess..

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

sorry this will cost 500$ in romania and 3GB is retarded nvidia is the biggest scum,im not paying 50$ for 3GB of extra VRAM thats pure scam

6 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

sorry this will cost 500$ in romania and 3GB is retarded nvidia is the biggest scum,im not paying 50$ for 3GB of extra VRAM thats pure scam

Pretty sure its already confirmed there is no 3GB 1060 until Mid-August.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There shouldn't be one ever...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Not to mention unless you're trying to murder your card with texture mods in something like Skyrim or Minecraft, it's not too easy to break over 3GB.

Personally, I wanna see how the 3GB card pans out, as it'll be very interesting to see where it heads.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not to mention unless you're trying to murder your card with texture mods in something like Skyrim or Minecraft, it's not too easy to break over 3GB.

Personally, I wanna see how the 3GB card pans out, as it'll be very interesting to see where it heads.

U wot m8?  It heads to misery... :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

Because $50 for an extra 3gb is much more scummy than $40 for 4gb.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There shouldn't be one ever...

Yeah lol, performance of a gtx 980 with the memory of a 780ti. It's probably nvidias way of showing 780/ti owners that they "need to" upgrade their antiquated cards to the new 8gb standard. That's literally the only clever reason I can think of to make a 3gb 1060.

12 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If the price is good enough I might consider getting a non-founder's 1060 instead of a RX 480 for a new build I want to do.  

I was going to use a 480 but I'm holding off at least until I know for sure the power issue has been fixed on the non-reference 480s.  

They just fixed it on all cards via a driver update. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They just fixed it on all cards via a driver update. 

Has it been confirmed that the new driver actually fixed the problem?

That's good if it did but I'd still wait until the non-reference 480s are available if I decide to get one.  Right now I'm trying to decide between the 480 or a 1060 for the build I'm planning.  It won't be my main desktop so top of the line performance won't be needed.