Tscott

Hi all,

I recently built a system out of spares I had lying around the specs are :

i7 8700

Asus b365m-k 

16gb ddr4 2600mhz

rtx 2060 super

480gb crucial ssd

after a bios update I enabled secure boot and ptt to run win 11.

installed and everything running great. Played some games, watched some movie etc 

I left the pc running over night to download some steam games. When I woke up this morning, everything was sluggish, took roughly 20-30 secs to open task manager.

disk running at 100%

Did a restart, which took forever, stopped services that would eat disk usage (search bar, telemetry etc) still slow as molasses.

Cpu and disk usage sits around 10% nothing crazy, still slow.

I'm currently 2 hrs into a Windows reset at 17% which in my experience is far too long already.

Once reset will take a look at thermals.

Would a dying ssd cause this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Which Crucial SSD?

Dram Cache?

I'd hazard you did a lot of write speed and the disk queue went from milliseconds to many actual seconds, dramless cache will use SYSRAM as a write buffer but will still slowly write to disk while doing so with a large latency queue.

/Might not be the reason, just something worth mentioning as some drives are better / worse than others.

One of my dramless SSDs writes at JUST 8-15MB/s when all the buffers are taxing out and its in a very slow recovery. Which is why I'd never use it as a Primary drive.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hey thanks for the reply.

It's a ct480bx500. Your absolutely right, it is without a dram. Had no idea as I didn't have atrocious performance with it before.

I gave up on the windows reset. 3.5hrs in at 30%

Had a look at the performance tab in task manager (took 5 mins to open) and its latency is all over the place from 224ms all the way upto 900ms which doesn't seem acceptable.

I have a m2 space on the board, I might just opt to use that.

Thanks for your help.