The beginning of the end of HTC. HTC 10 struggles to sell 1 Million units.

AlTech
34 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Why is it stupid may I ask?

Among many, many bad reasons, which you can find more about explained online, MY main issue is that Euro as it is, is an imaginary currency, with no country standing behind it. If the EU were to collapse, so would Euro, leaving many countries that are using it in possibly big financial problems, seeing how some had problems when they first started using Euro, like for instance Slovenia. It was designed to be irreversible, which case of Greece proved to a point.

Some would take the hit easier, like for instance Germany (which benefits the most from Euro, and you could say kind of controls it), which still has huge amount of their Marks in reserves, in case (among others) they had to change the currency "over night". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think France has the same idea with franc. If my country were to adopt Euro, which is a possible scenario, and then EU collapses, it would likely crush us.

Seeing how UK is leaving EU, EU collapsing is a more likely scenario every day. They were more than clever not to use Euro. I still stand behind that, that you can't always put a single currency for multiple countries, in this case EU, and expect it to work, considering every country has a vestly different economy. 

Anyhow, this is for a different topic and different time, and it's how I personally see things. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The biggest reason for bad sales is that 99% of stores didn't have HTC 10s in them in terms of stock or display models. On the day that it released for T-Mobile, I had to order it online instead of just walking in, pay, and getting the phone if I wanted a GS7 or an iPhone 6S. This creates a pretty big burden on potential customers to know that the phone exists and to read up on reviews before getting it and then having to wait days for it to ship.Also, the HTC 10 had no TV or billboard advertisements, which are things that Samsung uses extensively to get the word out about their phones.

You can't really blame the price of the phone at least in the US for the reason of poor sales. If that was the case, then the iPhone wouldn't be as extremely popular as it is. In the US, most people either get a "subsidy" two year contract plan that hides the real cost of the phone or get it financed through 12-24 months. The GS7 isn't that much cheaper than the HTC 10 especially considering that most people get the more expensive Edge version. At least here in the States, I struggle to see why people feel the HTC 10 is overpriced. You can't get a better DAC in a phone anywhere else and the LCD screen is excellent, perhaps best on Android. Sense is nonintrusive and near stock and HTC is definately a lot quicker than Samsung with updates. Plus, the HTC 10 comes with Uh-Oh protection as well.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

At least the vive is selling well...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Haha, your headlines are always a little extreme. I don't see it as the end to HTC, they'll simply restructure and focus on VR. I could, however, see this as their exit from the mobile handset market.

I don't really think they did enough, soon enough. I mean, if I were to get a phone in that form factor, I'd grab the Axon 7. I see it as what the HTC should have been. Shame, really.

However, I think they have a very bright future with VR, and if losing out on the mobile market means they focus more on that...then excellent.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

when there is the moto g, Galaxy S5 and a shitload of other good phones, of course it didn't do well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't know how the prices are in other countries, but here in Sweden it is most definitely a pricing issue.

Galaxy S 7 - 6000 SEK

HTC 10 - 6900 SEK

The HTC 10 is a good phone. I'd even say it is a great phone. But with the Galaxy S 7 being much cheaper, and slightly better in some areas, I don't see any reason to go for the HTC 10. You have to be better than the competitors at something to get sales. Right now I don't really see a reason to get the HTC 10 over the OnePlus 3, which is like 2/3 of the price.

I'd say the M8 was the beginning of the end. It was a downgrade from the M7 in many areas.

I'm in the US and on Amazon you can get a S7 for ~$40 cheaper than you can get a HTC 10. The S7 Edge is ~$35 more than a HTC 10. 

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, your headlines are always a little extreme. I don't see it as the end to HTC, they'll simply restructure and focus on VR. I could, however, see this as their exit from the mobile handset market.

since they are profitable in VR they have already taken steps to separate it from the smart phone business

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/06/29/htc-just-spun-off-vive-better-selling-vr-smartphones/

that probably means they don't want the VR part of the business dragged down by trying to prop up phone business.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't know how the prices are in other countries, but here in Sweden it is most definitely a pricing issue.

Galaxy S 7 - 6000 SEK

HTC 10 - 6900 SEK

The HTC 10 is a good phone. I'd even say it is a great phone. But with the Galaxy S 7 being much cheaper, and slightly better in some areas, I don't see any reason to go for the HTC 10. You have to be better than the competitors at something to get sales. Right now I don't really see a reason to get the HTC 10 over the OnePlus 3, which is like 2/3 of the price.

I'd say the M8 was the beginning of the end. It was a downgrade from the M7 in many areas.

Agree. Here it is

HTC 10 - €600

Galaxy S7 - €520

Huawei Mate 8 - €480

Not to mention that most people here go for sub €200 phones.

HTC 10 was too pricey to be competitive. Galaxy S7 bested it in price as well as advertisements.

How do you expect to sell well in Canada with a Bell exclusivity.....

Also anyone (like me) who pre-ordered it (sick $100 discount) had terrible customer service. No updates on shipping; people who ordered later got it earlier; no shipping confirmation or tracking until 5 days before received. Digital River (HTC 10 fulfillment company) sucked ass.

Great phone, poor exposure and delivery.

8 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I wonder how many Vive they're selling?

Not enough to keep the company afloat for too much longer.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

Why is it stupid may I ask?

A basic problem with the euro is that the countries using it can be very different economically, and that leads to conflicting pressures. To work well participating countries would need to be economically convergent, which just isn't going to happen.

Back on HTC, I have to wonder if VR will help them out much. Their phones haven't been really a consideration for me, as I like mid range good value phones like the Nexus series, especially when it comes to software I don't want extra crap like on my work Samsung...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

20 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Among many, many bad reasons, which you can find more about explained online, MY main issue is that Euro as it is, is an imaginary currency, with no country standing behind it. If the EU were to collapse, so would Euro, leaving many countries that are using it in possibly big financial problems, seeing how some had problems when they first started using Euro, like for instance Slovenia. It was designed to be irreversible, which case of Greece proved to a point.

Some would take the hit easier, like for instance Germany (which benefits the most from Euro, and you could say kind of controls it), which still has huge amount of their Marks in reserves, in case (among others) they had to change the currency "over night". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think France has the same idea with franc. If my country were to adopt Euro, which is a possible scenario, and then EU collapses, it would likely crush us.

Seeing how UK is leaving EU, EU collapsing is a more likely scenario every day. They were more than clever not to use Euro. I still stand behind that, that you can't always put a single currency for multiple countries, in this case EU, and expect it to work, considering every country has a vestly different economy. 

Anyhow, this is for a different topic and different time, and it's how I personally see things. 

i actually think the euro was a pretty good idea but countries that didnt meet standards like greece lied to get in messed it up a little. but having multiple countries behind a currency gives it a lot of leverage and power and pretty much every currency today is "imaginary" with no value except the value a government says it has. also pretty much as long as Germany uses the euro it will retain a lot of its value and you say germany benefits a lot but really they dont benefit from it any more than other eurozone countries and they make the most contribution. Also there is a small distinction from the EU and the eurozone which the latter is probably what you meant to refer to. without the EU european countries would have found it hard to compete in today's global economy with much bigger countries like the US. When negotiating trade deals with the US if Germany or some other european country went by themselves the US would have much higher leverage and been able to make the deal more beneficial for themselves but when the EU together negotiates the deal the US is going against germany, france, and other EU countries as a whole the US would have much less leverage in the deal

The issue is HTC didn't price it very well... its VERY expensive.

£579.99 in the shop I work in, was contemplating getting one... until I saw the price.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

On 7/6/2016 at 9:35 AM, Vegetable said:

Meanwhile my dumbass brought an LG G5..

What's wrong with the phone?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

1 hour ago, Fgtfv567 said:

What's wrong with the phone?

Nothing its just I get hate all the time from my techie friends bc of Linus' shit review of a quite good phone imo

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

On 6/7/2016 at 7:37 PM, Bouzoo said:

Among many, many bad reasons, which you can find more about explained online, MY main issue is that Euro as it is, is an imaginary currency, with no country standing behind it. If the EU were to collapse, so would Euro

Which definitely isn't something that could happen to a national currency like, say, the Yugoslavian dinar...

All currencies are imaginary. They're abstractions of the concept of value that we normally attach to objects that are useful or desirable in their own right, detached from such objects to ease transactions. Making a currency more imaginary is like making an ocean wetter.

14 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

I wonder how many Vive they're selling?

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not enough to keep the company afloat for too much longer.

Steam hardware survey last indicated 0.15% have a Vive, meaning close to 200K units sold. Those numbers aren't entirely up to date, so we could be looking at a quarter million by now. But the pace through the rest of the year should be slower as they've plowed through the preorders now.

Give me an M7 with an updated processor and sd card slot, I'll buy.