MIT research shows the hole in the Ozone Layer might be healing

Master Disaster
13 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

I swear i remember hearing about the hole in the ozone layer shrinking years ago :S

You probably did. This is just another piece of evidence of the ozone hole shrinking, one of the best yet. It's worth noting the ozone layer fluctuates a lot through the seasons, and has random variations from year to year as well, so it's more like a pile of evidence gradually building up than suddenly flipping from no to yes.

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you elaborate and post a source about NASA "fucking up"? I'd be curious to see what you're talking about.

In the late 70 to mid 80s, satellites were measuring the ozone concentration over Antarctica, but failed to notice the growing ozone hole because the software was programmed to ignore readings considered unrealistically low outliers - even after those readings became the norm.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You probably did. This is just another piece of evidence of the ozone hole shrinking, one of the best yet. It's worth noting the ozone layer fluctuates a lot through the seasons, and has random variations from year to year as well, so it's more like a pile of evidence gradually building up than suddenly flipping from no to yes.

In the late 70 to mid 80s, satellites were measuring the ozone concentration over Antarctica, but failed to notice the growing ozone hole because the software was programmed to ignore readings considered unrealistically low outliers - even after those readings became the norm.

Hah, they probably were programming the software with a primitive form of self diagnosis. Guess they never expected us to fuck the Ozone as much as we did.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have heard this before, maybe not from the same source, but I have defiantly heard this like two years ago or something.

EDIT: confirmed by someone else

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 7/4/2016 at 4:34 AM, Master Disaster said:

Engine emissions cause global warming, not thinning of Ozone. Trust me, we have a huge reason to stop using fossil fuels as quickly as possible. Repairing the ozone layer will not do us any good if we are all drowned by melted ice. 

BS

*edit

Below is a proposed depiction of IF the worlds entire ice caps were to melt and this was done with an error margin of 5%-8% greater to show worst case scenario. The ice melting and the drowning the world myth can be disproved with a glass of water and an ice cube. [wrong analogy]

(click to enlarge photo)

earthnoice.jpg

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Anyone else here believe in the Gaia Theory? I feel for something like this it could be relevant. I know the hole is fixing because of reduced CFC's in the atmosphere but wouldn't it be interesting to learn that organisms are destroying them? It could be an example of Gaia Theory. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

22 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

BS

*edit

Below is a proposed depiction of IF the worlds entire ice caps were to melt and this was done with an error margin of 5%-8% greater to show worst case scenario. The ice melting and the drowning the world myth can be disproved with a glass of water and an ice cube.

(click to enlarge photo)

earthnoice.jpg

Considering the population of the world that lives within 75 miles of major waterways (the ones most likely to dramatically expand) that picture doesn't quite tell the whole story. Depending on the way the land slopes it could be literally no one affected, or all of Florida being swallowed up. New York already has flooding issues without any changes.

Yeah, its not going to be Waterworld, but it sure is going to fuck everything up.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

8 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Considering the population of the world that lives within 75 miles of major waterways (the ones most likely to dramatically expand) that picture doesn't quite tell the whole story. Depending on the way the land slopes it could be literally no one affected, or all of Florida being swallowed up. New York already has flooding issues without any changes.

Yeah, its not going to be Waterworld, but it sure is going to fuck everything up.

Ill add the source. But yeah it doesn't show the whole story.

Source of photo: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/environment/waterworld.html

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Ill add the source. But yeah it doesn't show the whole story.

Source of photo: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/environment/waterworld.html

Ok but that still doesnt account for the actual impact on human life: http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/indicators/methodology_sheets/oceans_seas_coasts/pop_coastal_areas.pdf

40% of the world lives along water lines that would be impacted. Whoever wrote your source didnt bother thinking about his final comment at all. " It is sad that some youngsters think that burning of hydrocarbons could cause the ice caps to melt and drown cities; it is criminal when teachers don't correct this nonsense." Considering its generally acknowledged to be the case that hydrocarbons do contribute to global climate change (other than a very vocal minor percentage) and his own data proves that if the ice caps do melt it would literally drown STATES not cities...

Granted, its dated from 2005, and a lot of data has come out since then about our impact on the climate, and how much of a problem it might be. Im not sure id use that guy's info as a reliable source of data. The paper i referenced was written only a few years later i believe (couldnt find the exact date, but check the references they are all 05-07) but implies a hugely different conclusion.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you elaborate and post a source about NASA "fucking up"? I'd be curious to see what you're talking about.

google something about biggest software bugs in history of IT,

long story short, NASA had their systems configured to not report any measurements that were way out of spec and for a couple of years nobody knew there was an Ozone hole forming, because their system filtered it out because  the amounts of radiation measured were deemed to be impossible meaning either the sensors are faulty or it's a noisy measurement

and then some British university guy accidentially stumbled upon it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

17 hours ago, bigneo said:

Engine emissions cause global warming is inaccurate statement in my opinion. What about other facts? Such as cow shit and farts? That's right... Agriculture... #cowspiracy

Very interesting documentary boys and gals and here are some facts: http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

That documentary is on Netflix. I'd suggest to watch it, it was very interesting, for me.

The difference there is that agriculture is a necessity and part of the natural climate. Car emissions are not...

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

1 hour ago, M4st4M1nd said:

The difference there is that agriculture is a necessity and part of the natural climate. Car emissions are not...

Well, that is up for some debate on the agriculture front. It might be considered a necessity but it is 100% human influenced. There are a lot of studies out there that are investigating if its even possible for us to reduce our emissions and natural resource usage while being able to maintain the same production of food and it hasn't produced much results. Its also a big argument of a lot of people going vegan, the whole deal about how much water, grain and land is needed to create a pound of beef in comparison to other foods.

That being said, it is much easier to curb car/transport emissions on a global scale with less of an impact to life, so that's where a large majority of awareness is focused.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones:

11 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

And all the meanwhile the Polar icecaps have actually grown, as has Antarctica.  Some glaciers have sunk and some new ones formed.  I'm still getting that Corvette Z06.  *_*

And jet fuel still can't melt steel beams.

- snip-

22 hours ago, DXMember said:

ummm... Ozone's protecting us from radiation and shit... we got a hole in it because of these:

It's going to heal quicker than normal due to power grids and transformers inefficiencies funny enough, since arching electricity is what creates ozone on earth, but normally only lightning would cause it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Well, that is up for some debate on the agriculture front. It might be considered a necessity but it is 100% human influenced. There are a lot of studies out there that are investigating if its even possible for us to reduce our emissions and natural resource usage while being able to maintain the same production of food and it hasn't produced much results. Its also a big argument of a lot of people going vegan, the whole deal about how much water, grain and land is needed to create a pound of beef in comparison to other foods.

That being said, it is much easier to curb car/transport emissions on a global scale with less of an impact to life, so that's where a large majority of awareness is focused.

Its not really worth me getting into this debate much, but going vegan is hardly viable as its generally not very healthy at all. We are omnivorous...

Its not a case of being easier. Because it sure as hell is a a lot harder to get people to give up their cars for lower emission cars. Its simply because vehicles are the leading cause. Agriculture is again natural. Yes a lot of it is human influenced but that doesn't put it any where near on the same scale and transportation which is completely human influenced and totally unnecessary these day.

Looking at agriculture is not going to solve our problems and going vegan is just going to cause a lot more issues.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

3 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

And jet fuel still can't melt steel beams.

No what he is saying is actually correct when talking about Antarctica, the north pole however is a different story.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

No what he is saying is actually correct when talking about Antarctica, the north pole however is a different story.

Yup. And here in south Africa we're experiencing a massive drought with record low rain.

This time two years ago same we're overflowing. Now they're at 30%, during the rainy season.

TL:DR the oil and coal industry needs to die, before we do.

- snip-

10 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

BS

*edit

Below is a proposed depiction of IF the worlds entire ice caps were to melt and this was done with an error margin of 5%-8% greater to show worst case scenario. The ice melting and the drowning the world myth can be disproved with a glass of water and an ice cube.

(click to enlarge photo)

earthnoice.jpg

If you put an ice cube into a glass of water, then the water level will not change as it melts. But that's analogous to sea ice melting. The analogy to land ice (ice caps) melting is holding the cube above the glass and watching the melt water drip into the glass. Then the water level will rise.

Let's hope we don't blow our selves up in the next 10 years. We should be gravy, if not for all the other external threats out there.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

That's cool. But Earth's global temp is still rising. We still got a long way to go to stop all the factors causing it, and hopefully in time :D

48 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

It's going to heal quicker than normal due to power grids and transformers inefficiencies funny enough, since arching electricity is what creates ozone on earth, but normally only lightning would cause it.

there are other things that make ozone apart from Electric sparcs

naturally in the upper layer of athmosphere it's the ionizing radiation from the sun,

down here in the lower athmosphere ozone is unstable and it never reaches the upper layers to join the big Ozone layer and protect us...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

If you put an ice cube into a glass of water, then the water level will not change as it melts. But that's analogous to sea ice melting. The analogy to land ice (ice caps) melting is holding the cube above the glass and watching the melt water drip into the glass. Then the water level will rise.

Yes, sorry I used the wrong analogy, I will remove it. When I typed it up I was thinking of the sea ice ... my bad :| [brain fart]

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

*looks staringly at my 125sx*"no need to worry baby, you're all fine and good"*smiles as the sweet smell of 2 stroke premix fills the air*

Got an RC? head over to The Rc Thread and tell us about it, or you can just discuss rc in general there as well.

overly obsessed with 2 strokes and RCs

BRAAAAAAPPP

Spoiler

upgrading to:i5 6600k|MSI  z170a SLI Plus|1x8GB HYPERX Black| keeping the rest of my system the same for a few months until i have enough money for a better gpu,psu and an m.2 ssd

Spoiler

my baby:2008 Ktm 125 sx 

Spoiler

current rig:core 2 quad q6600@stock|asus p5q deluxe| 4GB of mix matched ddr2| saphirre r9 270x dual x| hyper212 evo w/ 2 sp120s| corsair cx 500m ikr time bomb| wd blue 1TB| corsair spec- 03|MSX home 64bit|

20 hours ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Its not really worth me getting into this debate much, but going vegan is hardly viable as its generally not very healthy at all. We are omnivorous...

Its not a case of being easier. Because it sure as hell is a a lot harder to get people to give up their cars for lower emission cars. Its simply because vehicles are the leading cause. Agriculture is again natural. Yes a lot of it is human influenced but that doesn't put it any where near on the same scale and transportation which is completely human influenced and totally unnecessary these day.

Looking at agriculture is not going to solve our problems and going vegan is just going to cause a lot more issues.

This is obviously not a thread to talk about global warming. But I wanted to tell you that natural doesn't mean it's not causing a problem, it can be 110% natural, but if it causes the problem then I rather go with not natural. Unfortunately, Agriculture "the natural as you describe" is leading cause for global warming not vehicles, (in English accent) mate.

What I'm more interested about is what happened to chlorine ? cause from looking at the reactions that happen it looks like chlorine gets reused every time.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650