AMD once again violating power specifications? (AMD RX-480)

Majestic
1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

Like I said before, this is what JayzTwoCents said in a Tweet a little bit ago. I personally would be surprised if they did, but I am going to wait until he releases a video on it to render an opinion.

He misspoke, or is uninformed.  Damn, I just called Jay uninformed.   :o:/

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

in a way that just disagreed with YOUR FUCKING OPINION you mean?

Nope. if I remember correctly it was the i5 4690K with the 280X, vs the FX 8350 with the 280X. And apparently being as good for gaming because of that mid range card being used with the mid range CPU. At any rate, you just need to watch their videos to get where I am coming from.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Nope. if I remember correctly it was the i5 4690K with the 280X, vs the FX 8350 with the 280X. And apparently being as good for gaming because of that mid range card being used with the mid range CPU. At any rate, you just need to watch their videos to get where I am coming from.

oh you mean tha vid of the FX vs i5 vs i7 and "who is best for streaming" which pissed everyone and their mother off because "AI FAIV SOO GUD CANNAT LOOSE TA EFFEXX"

It looks like the war is starting today.

Interestingly enough, in the past 8 hours, numerous reports of dead motherboards are popping up all over Reddit, and AMD forums. 

What an interesting next few weeks this is going to be.

JagatReview's overclocker is testing the power gate with a 1425 mHz rx480 (there's a thread on reddit for this particular gpu) and a H81 mobo. I'll update the results as soon as it's out

13576632_892833034178828_8527325641112361903_o.jpg

3 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

JagatReview's overclocker is testing the power gate with a 1425 mHz rx480 (there's a thread on reddit for this particular gpu) and a H81 mobo. I'll update the results as soon as it's out

13576632_892833034178828_8527325641112361903_o.jpg

I'm going to laugh my ass off if that H81 mobo. ends up being able to handle it. Because if it does, while AMD shouldn't have pulled this shit anyway, or if they somehow god who knows missed it, it'll mean a tiny blip of good news for them

2 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

The fact that the card is unsupported with that heavy aftermarket cooler bothers me so much...

2 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Like I said before, this is what JayzTwoCents said in a Tweet a little bit ago. I personally would be surprised if they did, but I am going to wait until he releases a video on it to render an opinion.

I'm not familiar with his testing methodologies. Does he have the equipment to actually test this? The vast majority of reviewers test at the wall with a simple meter. Yes, I realize his claim would be pretty hollow if he can't test it with actual equipment. Just curious.

But I will say one thing on the whole 8-pin mantra: it would seem to me that board vendors need to do more modification to the board than just replace the 6-pin with an 8-pin if it is to have any effect. I mean right now we clearly see that the board pretty much splits the power equally between the bus and the cable despite the fact that there is not actually any physical limitation on either. It would probably do the same with an 8-pin unless the wiring was done differently as well; why would raising an artificial ceiling on one side help the other if it's split equally?

What's also worrying is that it's safe to assume that boards are already in full production now from AIBs. I mean that the problem was only revealed after they went into production. Could this mean we could potentially see the same issue on these new cards? The AIBs need to have changed the PCB a fair bit but it's too early to see truly custom boards, so I guess we need to cross our fingers that they wired the cards to lean on the 8-pin connector they've installed.

Of course I encourage someone with more intimate knowledge of PCB design to correct me, if I'm in fact wrong.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I'm going to laugh my ass off if that H81 mobo. ends up being able to handle it.

Lol I hope so. 

The guy testing this is the 2015 hwbot world tour Asia champion

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

The fact that the card is unsupported with that heavy aftermarket cooler bothers me so much...

Science gets ugly sometimes man.

Wishingwell_transimage.pngWishingwell_transimage.pngWishingwell_transimage.png

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Yeah, I guess we can all stop beating on AMD for making a potentially catastrophic move with power delivery, and instead focus on other areas of the 480 like:

- little overclock headroom

- consumes as much power as you can given it for little gain over stock

- increasing core frequency does nothing for performance without feeding more power (from TTL discussion)

The only thing about the 480 worth positive discussion is that its a decent (not exceptional in the case of 8GB version) price/performance card at this moment in time. AIB cards are looking to be about 275+ USD and consume a great deal more power than reference at 1350Mhz with probably 1400Mhz headroom.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Yeah, I guess we can all stop beating on AMD for making a potentially catastrophic move with power delivery, and instead focus on other areas of the 480 like:

- little overclock headroom

- consumes as much power as you can given it for little gain over stock

- increasing core frequency does nothing for performance without feeding more power (from TTL discussion)

The only thing about the 480 worth positive discussion is that its a decent (not exceptional) price/performance card at this moment in time. AIB cards are looking to be about 275+ USD and consume a great deal more power than reference at 1350Mhz with probably 1400Mhz headroom.

Again, this might be solved with the AIBs. People have theorized that the lack of gains from OCing is because the card is power starved.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Again, this might be solved with the AIBs. People have theorized that the lack of gains from OCing is because the card is power starved.

that's basically what I said in the second part :)

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

that's basically what I said in the second part :)

Eh, I'm interpreting that a bit differently, but I'm tired AF right now, so to each their own.

The video from the last page actually makes an interesting point:

What if the pcie slot is supposed to power the vram? What we see then with the average too high would then never be seen in a normal situation since that card isn't meant to be used at 4K anyway and would draw less than the specification when used at the resolutions it's supposed to, making it not as dangerous for motherboards.

Does that makes sense?

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

The video from the last page actually makes an interesting point:

What if the pcie slot is supposed to power the vram? What we see then with the average too high would then never be seen in a normal situation since that card isn't meant to be used at 4K anyway and would draw less than the specification when used at the resolutions it's supposed to, making it not as dangerous for motherboards.

Does that makes sense?

Violation of specs should not be occurring regardless of the resolution it's built for. AMD should've considered this in their design - no standard should ever be violated.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hey @Trixanity, look at all the people who are now back with the whole " Nvidia is doing the same thing! Look at the 960 Ti Strix!" again.

See why I was so worried about your joke post now?

Personally I give up. AMD fanboys are too retarded to be educated. Look at all of them taking Jayz' baseless claims as absolute facts just because they agree with their predefined conclusion. Look at them agreeing with AdoredTV which is a collosal AMD fanboy who doesn't know what he is talking about (again, using the same picture you used in your joke post).

I wish I could enforce a rule that if your IQ is below the average PCIe slot power draw of the RX 480 then you wouldn't be allowed to talk about it...

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

oh you mean tha vid of the FX vs i5 vs i7 and "who is best for streaming" which pissed everyone and their mother off because "AI FAIV SOO GUD CANNAT LOOSE TA EFFEXX"

That video pissed everyone off because Logan is an idiot and the video was incredibly shoddy.

I have an explanation of all the things wrong in his videos here, and a follow up post here.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Violation of specs should not be occurring regardless of the resolution it's built for. AMD should've considered this in their design - no standard should ever be violated.

Yeah sure, but that would mean that's something they didn't see because they didn't test the card at those resolutions.

Besides if it's that, it's not only non harmful for mobo at normal usage, but it would make it possible to nerf the vram in those scenarios to make the card comply to standards.

Now that I think about it, if it was that easy they'd have patched their drivers and it would be over already :/

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

no standard should ever be violated.

..., regardless of whether they are "outdated" or not!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Hey @Trixanity, look at all the people who are now back with the whole " Nvidia is doing the same thing! Look at the 960 Ti Strix!" again.

See why I was so worried about your joke post now?

Personally I give up. AMD fanboys are too retarded to be educated. Look at all of them taking Jayz' baseless claims as absolute facts just because they agree with their predefined conclusion. Look at them agreeing with AdoredTV which is a collosal AMD fanboy who doesn't know what he is talking about (again, using the same picture you used in your joke post).

I wish I could enforce a rule that if your IQ is below the average PCIe slot power draw of the RX 480 then you wouldn't be allowed to talk about it...

I was just trying to explore an explanation which was submitted, that doesn't mean you can be insulting.

Searching for the reason it does that isn't what we should talk about here?

I was just saying that the idea that it appears in obviously ridicule usage of the card could point out to a reason why AMD has un professionally overlooked it and may point towards a direction to understand why it behaves like that.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

..., regardless of whether they are "outdated" or not!

Then proposals should be put forth to have them updated as far as it be possible. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

With how everything is going on this thread, I'll just leave this hear:

You are now obligated to play it while you argue to someone about something on this thread.