AMD once again violating power specifications? (AMD RX-480)

Majestic
13 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't think the join date really means anything -- a lot of people join forums when they have a problem that they need help working through. I don't even remember some of the forums that I've made accounts on in order to troubleshoot some issue. Whether or not the posts or trolls or not is still hard to tell, but the main thread in that post is at the very least believable -- a 970 board with an overclocked 480 (if at stock it's pulling a bit over spec, overclocked is probably ridiculously over spec). 

Yeah that's what makes me on the fence on it. Though at the same time you have people like that johnathon.link guy who seemingly made an account just to say = 

"AMD RX 480 violou o padrão PCI Express (so what!) - YouTube    here is the video that shows where AMD violated PCI EXPRESS !"

It's just the tone of voice which sounds trollish in nature but yeah, by all means this could be legitimate. Main post is pretty believable too, but yeah I'm not one to believe stuff like this without any actual evidence. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Some don't seem to understand how serious this problem is, so I explain it with pictures.  BTW, I'm no artist, so this is the most artistic thing you'll get from me.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3a.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

snip

That was beautiful but you messed up, bro. That's the 'me gusta' face, not the 'no me gusta' face.

498067582.gif

8 hours ago, Trixanity said:

That was beautiful but you messed up, bro. That's the 'me gusta' face, not the 'no me gusta' face.

no me gusta don't seem to give the expression, I was looking for.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I smell a possible recall.  I bet and is going to recall all these cards and replace them with cards that have a 8 pin power connector like they should have done in the first place

6 minutes ago, ttam said:

Have had an 83w from the board OC'd 480 running since yesterday on a benchmark and guess what, the system still runs fine.

Did you raise the power target? Tests show that you don't gain any performance from OC'ing because it's power starved meaning it doesn't really hit the specified clocks but raising that target blows up the power consumption. Also, you should also try undervolting a bit. Improves temps and could give you a better OC despite it being somewhat counterintuitive. 

1.075V stable was achieved by someone. It actually kinda points to that the card is running at too high a voltage at stock. Too high as in more than necessary, not too high as in explosions everywhere.

10 minutes ago, ttam said:

Have had an 83w from the board OC'd 480 running since yesterday on a benchmark and guess what, the system still runs fine.

Maybe for you, but there's another topic that says that this card has already killed a few peoples pcie slots.  I would immediately disable that over clock if I were you unless you want dead pcie slots on your motherboard 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Ginger said:

Maybe for you, but there's another topic that says that this card has already killed a few peoples pcie slots.  I would immediately disable that over clock if I were you unless you want dead pcie slots on your motherboard 

no, leave him to his own devices

if it pops he'll learn the hard way

11 minutes ago, Crazy Ginger said:

I literally have 100's of 1155/1150/1551 mobos/cpus at my disposal so it's not a worry and with not 5 480s in my shop, I might go crazy and see if I can break something because I'm having a feeling people are breaking them on purpose to try and get some $$$

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no, leave him to his own devices

if it pops he'll learn the hard way

Well since I own 6 computer stores, I think it's safe to say I know a thing or two about computers..

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

2 minutes ago, ttam said:

Well since I own 6 computer stores, I think it's safe to say I know a thing or two about computers..

I have 7y experience in retail and tech support and a degree in computer programming - if we're measuring dicks

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I have 7y experience in retail and tech support and a degree in computer programming - if we're measuring dicks

Uh, I've got a dime and some lint in my pocket.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Uh, I've got a dime and some lint in my pocket.

You have lint?!?!? 

Luckyyyy

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, ttam said:

I literally have 100's of 1155/1150/1551 mobos/cpus at my disposal so it's not a worry and with not 5 480s in my shop, I might go crazy and see if I can break something because I'm having a feeling people are breaking them on purpose to try and get some $$$

dude, if you have a spare mobo to test this on, you should totally do this to see if it is possible to kill the mobo's pcie slots in this manner and make a video on it.  then once the mobo is screwed up, send it off to photonicinductions to see what happens when you input not 12 volts into the 24 pin connector, but 100000 volts.  i would love to see what would happen

Are we still arguing over whether it pulls too much power, and/or if that is really a problem or not?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Well.. I'm going into my 6th year being the sole owner of the shops. And for the first 4 of those years I put in near 60 hours a week :( I have also been working in these shops since I was 13 due to the fact my oldest brother opened them in 1990 and made me work (slave labor sometimes)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are we still arguing over whether it pulls too much power, and/or if that is really a problem or not?

No, we've moved on to dicks apparently.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm still waiting for that AMD statement they're preparing since yesterday

guess their lawyers are in berserk mode xD

1 minute ago, Crazy Ginger said:

dude, if you have a spare mobo to test this on, you should totally do this to see if it is possible to kill the mobo's pcie slots in this manner and make a video on it.  then once the mobo is screwed up, send it off to photonicinductions to see what happens when you input not 12 volts into the 24 pin connector, but 100000 volts.  i would love to see what would happen

That's my plan for the rest of the day actually. The video thing sounds good since I've been wanting to get past the 20k youtube sub mark but that requires me driving 45 minutes home to get my 70D :(

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

No, we've moved on to dicks apparently.

As long as we're changing the subject, I guess now is as good a time as any to point out that we've hit 32 pages and Hitler hasn't been mentioned once. So much for godfrieds law.

Edit: Shit! What have I done

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This is sorta old now but I didn't see it linked, and its an interesting (and funny) conversation about 480 power consumption.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'd forgotten to but I just did.  It's nice to see the board wasn't destroyed but it's still troubling to hear that it happened.  I'd be curious how Intel boards handle this problem.  In that video with that TwoCents guy and the other guy discussing this they'd said as a result of some cheaply made (MSI I believe it was) motherboard being used to even slightly OC a CPU it actually destroyed the motherboard for some people I believe it said.  (It was late, I was tired so I'd have to rewatch that video to double check that.)  So if I'm remembering the video right then it suggests it's possible to not simply have a shutdown but rather actual damage to a motherboard from a power related problem.

The Science Studio did claim that the issue with the 480 might be solved by adjusting the configuration/number of PSU connector pins so if a fix really could be that simple there may be reason to hope that non-reference 480s with sufficient PSU connector pins may not have this motherboard issue.  Assuming I'm understanding all this correctly.

The Krait 970 board from MSI had a very under built VRM (voltage regulator module).  FX CPUs really like power.  So since you have to overclock the FX CPUS to get them to even start competing with Intel CPUs (single core performance), I think more than one of those boards burned up... literally...

If you have not seen this, it will be interesting to say the least:

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

it's uncertain

from what reviewers say regarding their overbuilt test benches is that the power traces for the PEG are directly connected to the 24pin ATX power connector and have no other components on them

it's possible that some older mobos were built with over current / over power safety circuitry and aren't direct traces to the ATX connector

In Reference to your earlier comment about the AM2 board with 480 vs 970? shutting down.

At what point does the system shut down with the 480? IS it during stress or on boot? It is likely ripple or a confluence of iffy mobo VRM and 480 overdraw on the PSU rail rather than any damage or issue internal to the motherboard. The power phase fiasco of years past may be a major hurdle for this card if people are really trying to push it on that older hardware.