@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yes we know exactly what happened.

Can you confirm that the issue with the Twitter account is at the fault of Twitter Inc., or was something else compromised?

1 minute ago, rm -rf said:

Can you confirm that the issue with the Twitter account is at the fault of Twitter Inc., or was something else compromised?

It wasn't Twitter's fault directly but there are definitely things they could do to make accounts more secure.

I'm sorry, but I'm really not going to get into details here. 

2 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

They have also made a public commend earlier saying that they were going to hack a YouTube channel with over 5 million subscribers and disable the account.

rm -rf isn't usable in current versions of Ubuntu, even if you are in a sudo terminal

Really don't know what motivates these groups to go after pointless targets, why can't they go after Keem or something?

& oh :( My server is still on 14.04.

2 minutes ago, thedarkdad3 said:

You've been hacked multiple times buddy. My advice Hire a new firm and take some courses on real world security.

This was the fault of a third party firm, according to what he said... What you're saying sounds like e.g. Google gets compromised and the targeted gmail user is at fault

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

After someone mentioned it wasn't a simple DDoS, this is what I had assumed happened.

Ah well, things are back to normal now.

1 minute ago, burnttoastnice said:

Really don't know what motivates these groups to go after pointless targets, why can't they go after Keem or something?

They only talk about the accounts they are successful at getting into. They probably have thousands of failures and so far they have only gotten about 3 accounts?

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

It wasn't Twitter's fault directly but there are definitely things they could do to make accounts more secure.

For the sake of security, forum passwords are stored in a nice cryptographically secure manner, yeah? 

You have over 300k followers and "you won't go into details" with the potential to have more leaked information from hundreds of thousands of people in the future and potentially face lawsuit years down the road....? 

If you need recommendations on "real security and a real firm" DM ME.

The sooner you realize this is going to continue happening the better. Good luck.

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

5 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

For the sake of security, forum passwords are stored in a nice cryptographically secure manner, yeah? 

Go have a peep at the documentation to answer all your security concerns :Dhttps://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/advanced-and-developers/miscellaneous/passwords-in-ipboard-r130

2 minutes ago, Digivoxel said:

They only talk about the accounts they are successful at getting into. They probably have thousands of failures and so far they have only gotten about 3 accounts?

I personally think the recent attack was done by someone who attacked us some time back under the alias Dem_____. He only DDoSed us anyway :/ so no biggie.

I really worry about these big corporations that seem to like just dishing out users' information over the telephone though, there was this documentary on YouTube where a person called someone's cellphone provider and got them to hand over all the target's account details :/

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

Most likely unsalted MD5

4 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

& oh :( My server is still on 14.04.

This was the fault of a third party firm, according to what he said... What you're saying sounds like e.g. Google gets compromised and the targeted gmail user is at fault

Yeah, please can someone target Keem xD

1 hour ago, Daring said:

That isn't Linus' Twitter. It's @LinusTech.

I am not sure if it's safe to change our passwords yet, but they are actively trying to sell the forum database. Wait until we get word from @colonel_mortis before doing so.

I know. Theres just so much crap on there I can't imagine it being a real person.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Go have a peep at the documentation to answer all your security concerns :Dhttps://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/advanced-and-developers/miscellaneous/passwords-in-ipboard-r130

I like my hashes salted, though why doesn't McDonalds put more salt in them to begin with?

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

No, sorry. I'd been meaning to update it for quite some time, so this was a perfect opportunity to do so.

How about a video of Keepass or any good password manager software? You mentioned butner pw, did you wrote it down a piece of paper and someone managed to find that? Looks like you guys need to burn papers after all.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

3 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

You realize encryption can be broken and deciphered.  Hell Let @LinusTech pay me and my firm $30,000k and we will do it within a month. I somehow doubt he wants to get rekt again. hahaha

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

im starting to think keemstar is behind all of these

I don't believe that he would have the assets or knowledge to do this. Though he certainly seems to be profiting from it.

and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Hopefully not too heated...don't want to be stressed out.

I was wondering why when I woke up this morning and seeing twitter updates from Linus' account it looked strange...

Well hoping all returns to normal and no other accounts were compromised

The Clown Prince...With A Bullet In A Bilbe

15 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

They have also made a public commend earlier saying that they were going to hack a YouTube channel with over 5 million subscribers and disable the account.

rm -rf isn't usable in current versions of Ubuntu, even if you are in a sudo terminal

Wrong. It's not usable in any sane linux distro unless you use --no-preserve-root.

5 minutes ago, thedarkdad3 said:

You realize encryption can be broken and deciphered.  Hell Let @LinusTech pay me and my firm $30,000k and we will do it within a month. I somehow doubt he wants to get rekt again. hahaha

I need to stress again, like I did in another thread, that hashing and 'real encryption' aren't the same thing. The hashing method IPS uses is more than appropriate for the forum login system - particularly because it's salted. This means that common rainbow-tables attacks are a dead end for skiddies.

In fact, encryption would be a weaker option, since a peep in the website code would mean R.I.P. passwords. Encryption is best suited for end-to-end connections where nothing except the two endpoints know the key. (e.g. SSH, TLS)

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

So, who can we send hate mail to??? Lets do a LTT Forum members revenge plan!

#ProbablyNotAGoodIdea

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

9 minutes ago, Aytex said:

im starting to think keemstar is behind all of these

That's what I also said a few pages back.

7 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

I don't believe that he would have the assets or knowledge to do this. Though he certainly seems to be profiting from it.

Indeed. He could also give the hackers a cut. Several videos on hackers it builds up view count and revenue.

Edited by lightningterror

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

7 minutes ago, bigdirtyjase said:

Hopefully not too heated...don't want to be stressed out.

I was wondering why when I woke up this morning and seeing twitter updates from Linus' account it looked strange...

Well hoping all returns to normal and no other accounts were compromised

I flew onto my desktop as soon as I got a twitter notification saying LTT hacked.

It's like 2am here anyway... Probably some GTA Online to cool down the situation then sleep...

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

38 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

so basically he found the password to the twitter account, and nothing else ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004