@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

What I don't understand is why Poodlecorp and Lizardsquad pick on guys who's entire lives depend on their online presence. It's terrible. Don't hack keem or anybody bad, hack Linus and Boogie and people that haven't wronged anybody before. they could ruin peoples lives.

Definitely sounds more plausible than a 2 year old security hole being exploited on one of the biggest social media sites and their own company website.

36 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

I don't get the point of these hacker groups. For one the names are absolutely stupid, second it does nothing, they get no gain from it, and you think a company won't hand back their channel or account. The only gain I have heard is when someone got JayzTwoCents youtube channel they tried to sell it for like $30K but failed.

they are just evil  chaotics, nothing more. They just want to see the world burn

Wth, go on Google and search this: "linus media group" and when you see the website click on it. For me it shows their site, not Poodle's.

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

That sounds stupid, honestly.

It was meant for fun though ;) 

I don't think Linus would even bother

Everyone Be Cautioned. They took down the linusmediagroup.com website, that means they can take this website down if they want to easily..

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 minute ago, Gaged said:

Wth, go on Google and search this: "linus media group" and when you see the website click on it. For me it shows their site, not Poodle's.

same

2 minutes ago, Gaged said:

Seems they got the site back

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

I hope they have been working on their security, I tweeted at Brandon, Slick, and Taran and their accounts are all inactive right now.

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

It's some kind of redirect script , if you search from google you go to the site , but if you type in  linusmediagroup.com it gets redirected to the hackers.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

If I go to "linusmediagroup.com" it redirects to Poodlecorp's Twitter. If I use a link from Google, or type "www.linusmediagroup.com", it goes to the real site.

If you go to linusmediagroup site via google, it shows fine.

But if you type it in, it redirects to the hackers twitter.

so some strange re direct going on there, havent seen it work like that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

It's some kind of redirect script , if you search from google you go to the site , but if you type in  linusmediagroup.com it gets redirected to the hackers.

Maybe Indexing hasnt been updated then. That usually takes time. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Its because www.linusmediagroup.com is another domain so it works. Only the base domain is being redirected, currently.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Nvidia sold their shares of LinusNvidiaTips to Poodlecorp and the channel will now be known as LinusPoodlecorpTips.

2 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

No..... I just did it. Right to the home page for LMG.

1 minute ago, EvilTrovis said:

If I go to "linusmediagroup.com" it redirects to Poodlecorp's Twitter. If I use a link from Google, or type "www.linusmediagroup.com", it goes to the real site.

Yeah, i think it would be easily to fix by changing a DNS entry.

13 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Quoting for auto correct truth

I accidentally hit the I key instead of the U key. Sorry about that. :(

3 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

I typed in the address and led me to the official site

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

Its because www.linusmediagroup.com is another domain so it works. Only the base domain is being redirected, currently.

What is the base domain?

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

The redirect sometimes works. But I think they removed the redirect completely.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If you google linus media group and go in to the site that way, it works fine.

but if you type it in your browser it redirects to the hackers Twitter.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Zolthan said:

No..... I just did it. Right to the home page for LMG.

I just tried it in IE which is a browser I never use, and it still takes me to the PoodleCorp Twitter if I just type "linusmediagroup.com".