@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

Welp, glad I use Safari's random password generator!

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

They can peep into my account. It's worthless anyway lol.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

If you sign in to Linustechtips.com with facebook or twitter or steam your passwords should be safe, right?

It would be nice if Twitter crackdown on these fuck heads who go around hacking people. They're just sitting there whilst huge companies get hacked. I wonder what will come from this.

1 minute ago, thebestcameraman said:

If you sign in to Linustechtips.com with facebook or twitter or steam your passwords should be safe, right?

I believe so, since the authentication is done through Facebook, Twitter or Steam and your passwords for those sites are not exposed.

Techtips888?

Must have pick #8 to represent $

Lol

"No. 8 has long been regarded as the luckiest number in Chinese culture. With pronunciation of 'Ba' in Chinese, no. 8 sounds similar to the word 'Fa', which means to make a fortune. It contains meanings of prosperity, success and high social status too, so all business men favor it very much."

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, Daring said:

That isn't Linus' Twitter. It's @LinusTech.

I am not sure if it's safe to change our passwords yet, but they are actively trying to sell the forum database. Wait until we get word from @colonel_mortis before doing so.

12 minutes ago, Zolthan said:

Linus's official twitter is LinusTech

That twitter account is @linustech what are you on about ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Techtips888?

Must have pick #8 to represent $

Lol

"No. 8 has long been regarded as the luckiest number in Chinese culture. With pronunciation of 'Ba' in Chinese, no. 8 sounds similar to the word 'Fa', which means to make a fortune. It contains meanings of prosperity, success and high social status too, so all business men favor it very much."

What is techtips888 about?

Futher information relating to this as well as the state of the forums database will be provided shortly. 

1 minute ago, RZeroX said:

What is techtips888 about?

They say its his password

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, cesrai said:

That twitter account is @linustech what are you on about ? 

Look carefully. It ends with "Tips".

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Look at the handler it's @Linustech it's his account 100%

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Here you go https://twitter.com/LinusTech or google @Linustech

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

It's always been @linustech

Something tells me that the lmg team is up late tonight...

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

5 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Futher information relating to this as well as the state of the forums database will be provided shortly. 

In what form?

5 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Look at the handler it's @Linustech it's his account 100%

REAnLeu.png

Now, look man. I'm not willing to get into an argument over a Twitter account, so let's leave it at this, okay? Guy originally linked to @LinusTechTips rather than @LinusTech and that's the account that resolves to.

1 minute ago, Zolthan said:

In what form?

I'm guessing a thread in the official forum news section

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They say its his password

If that was actually his password that is bad password practices.

6 minutes ago, Daring said:

REAnLeu.png

Now, look man. I'm not willing to get into an argument over a Twitter account, so let's leave it at this, okay? Guy originally linked to @LinusTechTips rather than @LinusTech and that's the account that resolves to.

Now, look man. I'm not willing to get into an argument over a Twitter account, so let's leave it at this, okay?

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 4.00.09 AM.png

Please don't fabricate photos again.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

7 minutes ago, Daring said:

Look at the YouTube description.

5 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Now, look man. I'm not willing to get into an argument over a Twitter account, so let's leave it at this, okay?

PICTURE.jpg

someone linked the fake account and he was responding to that person. you just didn't notice that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Plot twist : It's actually Linus trolling the world. But seriously, that sucks. 

7 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 4.00.09 AM.png

We're looking at completely different accounts then.

Here's the one I'm looking at (and was the one the guy I quoted linked to), if you're interested. Seems to be a troll account.