SYSTEM RECOVERY help!!!

so i need to do a system recovery on my laptop.

When i see the timelines there is an option where i can go back to where i deleted s7-zip but will it go back before the removal or after?

if you see it as "uninstall 7zip" that means it'll take you before you uninstall it.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

if you see it as "uninstall 7zip" that means it'll take you before you uninstall it.

It says "Removed 7-zip"

3 minutes ago, Imaginary Friend said:

It says "Removed 7-zip"

That will take you to the moment before you clicked uninstall.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Did you lose some files (Deleted them)? Did you accidentally uninstall 7-zip? Did your system become unstable and crash?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

That will take you to the moment before you clicked uninstall.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Did you lose some files (Deleted them)? Did you accidentally uninstall 7-zip? Did your system become unstable and crash?

No. im trying to do a system recovery cuz my laptop is in a wierd auto repair loop...

No. im trying to do a system recovery cuz my laptop is in a wierd auto repair loop...

I would simply select the Recovery Point with the newest date on it, regardless of what it was for. You will need to check to see if it removed/re-added any software you recently installed or uninstalled though.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would simply select the Recovery Point with the newest date on it, regardless of what it was for. You will need to check to see if it removed/re-added any software you recently installed or uninstalled though.

do u know how long it will take for it to do a recovery?

1 minute ago, Imaginary Friend said:

do u know how long it will take for it to do a recovery?

Generally about 30 minutes, but that is no guarantee. It can range in time from 10 minutes to 2 hours.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Generally about 30 minutes, but that is no guarantee. It can range in time from 10 minutes to 2 hours.

o.O oh well... *Clicks on netflix bookmark*

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

AH... recovery failed :/ what should i do?

it tells me that it couldn't download something and that a disc something may have been damaged or just choose another timeposition...

it tells me that it couldn't download something and that a disc something may have been damaged or just choose another timeposition...

choose another restore point.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Try a different restore point. Keep trying different restore points until:

1. You're able to restore

2. You run out of restore points to try

Keep in mind: System Restore is NOT a substitute of a proper backup solution.

If you reach #2 above, you'll need to reinstall Windows most likely. Before you do that, if you need, you can boot the computer to a live OS and copy any files you need onto a USB drive or a different HDD.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Try a different restore point. Keep trying different restore points until:

1. You're able to restore

2. You run out of restore points to try

Keep in mind: System Restore is NOT a substitute of a proper backup solution.

If you reach #2 above, you'll need to reinstall Windows most likely. Before you do that, if you need, you can boot the computer to a live OS and copy any files you need onto a USB drive or a different HDD.

oh why didn't u say that before i did this stuff... :/ 

ah im scared that i will loose something...

but how do i boot into os when im on a laptop?

28 minutes ago, Imaginary Friend said:

oh why didn't u say that before i did this stuff... :/ 

ah im scared that i will loose something...

but how do i boot into os when im on a laptop?

If you want to boot into a Live OS (An OS that runs off of a DVD or a USB stick), your best bet is to use a Linux live OS of some sort:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Boot into the OS, and you can use the file manager to copy files.

title

Depends, there is a destructive restore and a none destructive option 

But you should have a backup of your files anyway! if you dont, DO IT NOW

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

title

What operating system are you using on the laptop?

- Greetz! -

Don't be irritated by the grumpy look

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming

6 minutes ago, der_Hendrikos said:

What operating system are you using on the laptop?

Windows 10

10 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Depends, there is a destructive restore and a none destructive option 

But you should have a backup of your files anyway! if you dont, DO IT NOW

I can't back it up cuz im stuck in safe mode...

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

no need to double post

Recover and restore is not the same thing...

5 minutes ago, Imaginary Friend said:

Windows 10

You should be able to do a reinstall without erasing your personal data under Win 10. When selecting the restore option you find in the settings app, it should ask you if you want to wipe the disk or just overwrite the OS files.

Don't quote me on that though, I usually do manual clean reinstalls myself.

- Greetz! -

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming

2 minutes ago, der_Hendrikos said:

You should be able to do a reinstall without erasing your personal data under Win 10. When selecting the restore option you find in the settings app, it should ask you if you want to wipe the disk or just overwrite the OS files.

Don't quote me on that though, I usually do manual clean reinstalls myself.

Does personal data mean pictures and movies?

Does personal data mean pictures and movies?

Yup, pictures, music, documents, videos... all that. Not sure about settings and installed apps/programs, but maybe those as well

- Greetz! -