SYSTEM RECOVERY help!!!

13 minutes ago, Imaginary Friend said:

Recover and restore is not the same thing...

it all stems from the same problem, so yeah, you shouldn't make multiple thread about the same question; Keeping you files and getting Windows out of it's boot loop.

When doing a reset with Win10 you can select to keep your files and it should keep you personal files, BUT I never tried it. I personally have not tried at home or at work, when I reset a PC at work I'm pretty clear that the person is going to loose all their data. At home I keep 3 different backups for my personal files so I never bothered.

It's supposed to keep your files, but nothing is perfect and it's totally possible that your files might be lost. Follow the instruction on your original post, boot from a live OS and backup your files. ALWAYS backup you files

EDIT: keep in mind that if you can make the restore points work, it's entirely possible that Windows won't be able to do a reset AND keep your files (I've seen it happen)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Also, when you're in safe mode you could try running the Win 10 setup from a bootable Windows installer USB key, there mostly my way to go.

In order to create a bootable USB, download the MediaCreationTool.exe from Microsoft's website (Click "Download tool now" here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10), then insert a USB key of at least 4 GB capacity and run the tool. Select the drive you inserted and click next until the wizard says its done. There is then a Setup.exe file on the drive which you need to run as admin. That is going to trigger a reinstall of the OS without deleting you personal stuff, pay attention to the options shown though.

Hope that gives you an alternative. As always, I take no responsibility for what you do.

- Greetz! -

Don't be irritated by the grumpy look

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming

18 minutes ago, der_Hendrikos said:

Also, when you're in safe mode you could try running the Win 10 setup from a bootable Windows installer USB key, there mostly my way to go.

In order to create a bootable USB, download the MediaCreationTool.exe from Microsoft's website (Click "Download tool now" here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10), then insert a USB key of at least 4 GB capacity and run the tool. Select the drive you inserted and click next until the wizard says its done. There is then a Setup.exe file on the drive which you need to run as admin. That is going to trigger a reinstall of the OS without deleting you personal stuff, pay attention to the options shown though.

Hope that gives you an alternative. As always, I take no responsibility for what you do.

Someone from my other thread told me to download ubuntu. so i did it and now im in boot manager and don't know what to do.

Last time I used a Bootable USB drive to reinstall windows, I said him not to keep files, but it kept it in windows.old anyway :)

Si I wouldn't be too afraid. If you say him to keep files, it will keep them at the same directories it used to.

Do you have any idea of what's wrong?

50 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Last time I used a Bootable USB drive to reinstall windows, I said him not to keep files, but it kept it in windows.old anyway :)

Si I wouldn't be too afraid. If you say him to keep files, it will keep them at the same directories it used to.

Do you have any idea of what's wrong?

As I understand it, you want to know why the windows.old folder is not affected by a Windows 10 reinstall?

My best guess would be that since the windows.old folder contains the data from the previous OS the computer ran on (if you updated to Win 10 from 7 or 8/8.1), the Win 10 restore is configured to not erase the files in there so that a reverse to the previous OS is sill possible even after Win 10 has been installed from scratch.

- Greetz! -

Don't be irritated by the grumpy look

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming