Microsoft shows how Edge compares in battery life

ImBleu

What Browser(s) do you use?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What Browser(s) do you use?

2. 2. Would these results make you more likely to move to Microsoft Edge?

Considering with Chrome+a Windows 10 re-install (the original one was still fucked up despite multiple factory resets) my Asus U38N can pull 5 hours despite having notoriously poor battery life for a small notebook back in 2013.....and that Edge is actually harder on the A8 4555M than Chrome...yeah this is inconclusive.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering with Chrome+a Windows 10 re-install (the original one was still fucked up despite multiple factory resets) my Asus U38N can pull 5 hours despite having notoriously poor battery life for a small notebook back in 2013.....and that Edge is actually harder on the A8 4555M than Chrome...yeah this is inconclusive.

it is conclusive. Edge is a lot less demanding in some respects than chrome. Both render webpages using Direct X.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Lower power consumption eh?  Pretty cool... I also heard recently they did something with the javascript engine and it's destroying other browsers in terms of performance :D 

Might have to give it a serious try....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Lower power consumption eh?  Pretty cool... I also heard recently they did something with the javascript engine and it's destroying other browsers in terms of performance :D 

Might have to give it a serious try....

I use Chrome exclusively at home and Edge exclusively at work and I really don't have a favourite between the two. Chrome's developer tools are a lot better than Edge, but I like the flat look of Edge - if only they could be less Bing-centric.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

it is conclusive. Edge is a lot less demanding in some respects than chrome. Both render webpages using Direct X.....

Not from using my laptop. And Edge maxes out both of the APU's modules loading a webpage, where as it hovers around 30-40% in Chrome.

PMSL

29 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I use Chrome exclusively at home and Edge exclusively at work and I really don't have a favourite between the two. Chrome's developer tools are a lot better than Edge, but I like the flat look of Edge - if only they could be less Bing-centric.

that's why i give microsoft edge and microsoft in general the finger. bing. bing bing always fucking bing. they should realize that they will never be as good as google.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not from using my laptop. And Edge maxes out both of the APU's modules loading a webpage, where as it hovers around 30-40% in Chrome.

Maybe you're APU is stupidly slow?

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

that's why i give microsoft edge and microsoft in general the finger. bing. bing bing always fucking bing. they should realize that they will never be as good as google.

Maybe you should try to realize you shouldn't suck as much dick as Google.

We know you're a Google Fanboy so please no h8te, yo gotta apreic8te cos it's just f8te.

Woahhhhh............ Did I detect some third degree burns from roasting you just then?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Maybe you're APU is stupidly slow?

Maybe you should try to realize you shouldn't suck as much dick as Google.

We know you're a Google Fanboy so please no h8te, yo gotta apreic8te cos it's just f8te.

Woahhhhh............ Did I detect some third degree burns from roasting you just then?

Again-Edge maxes it out Chrome doesn't-and that's despite them both being DX accelerated and loading pages at the same speed. Which is why I get better battery life with Chrome as its lighter on the APU-and its still faster than an i5 U470M (single+multi threaded), and as fast single threaded as a Phenom II N970-despite only boosting to 1.8GHz across both modules.

PMSL

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It must be remembered that this is STREAMING VIDEO.

While nice to know for those who like to watch a lot of videos, like YouTube, or Twitch, it would be nice to see how it fairs in terms of loading and navigating pages. Basically, how battery intensive is the page rendering, and Java-Script engine is on the battery, and which one is the best on battery life.

For example, Web Browser 1 can be really fast at page rendering, and Java-Script performance, but the laptop has the shortest battery life.

Web Browser 2 can be the reverse, where it is painfully slow to render pages, and has horrible Java-Script performance, but has the longest battery life.

While difficult to design such test (at least one that will please everyone), I think it would be best for a reviewer to do this (unless, it just happen that Edge is really good at this as well, else I doubt Microsoft will say the other web browser is better), and let the reader, based on its preference pick the best web browser. For example, on desktop, one can pick Web Browser 1. But on the laptop, where that person wants every seconds of battery, and doesn't care about performance at all, and can wait, web browser 2 might of interest, or web browser 3 which could be in between.

Yeah. I'd like to see more testing and comparison being done.
I use Opera and it's a great browser, underrated in my book. With latest updates, VPN, built-in addblock, battery saver specially for this topic, I'd really like to see a comparison that is not so automated yet more different and detailed in some aspects. Like enabled/disabled options for web browsers. Also Edge is missing some features that are yet to come so yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Lol, I gotta give it up to Microsoft. They will not give up, no matter what ppl say about Edge. They fight to the bitter end, good on them. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

So I just ran a test in both Chrome and Edge (not at the same time of course), and got the following numbers.

Edge actually won, which seems to support this article, but not by as much as I had expected it to actually, given what I'd heard about previously.

Capture.jpg

I also watched CPU usage during the tests, and both tests sat around 16% with occasional periods of sitting at around 26%, which indicates to me (I have a i7 btw) that the tests use 1 or 2 threads, and thus that many cores.  For whatever that's worth.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So I just ran a test in both Chrome and Edge (not at the same time of course), and got the following numbers.

Edge actually won, which seems to support this article, but not by as much as I had expected it to actually, given what I'd heard about previously.

Capture.jpg

I also watched CPU usage during the tests, and both tests sat around 16% with occasional periods of sitting at around 26%, which indicates to me (I have a i7 btw) that the tests use 1 or 2 threads, and thus that many cores.  For whatever that's worth.

So maybe edge has the edge over chrome afterall?

To Microsoft...

Nobody_Cares.png

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

On 6/20/2016 at 8:54 AM, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I own multiple Mac devices and exclusively use Safari because it just plain works better than chrome on the OS, it's better optimized. I didn't even bother with chrome on my macbook.

I also tried everything on android (Cyanogen's Browser, Chrome, Opera, Opera Light) and only chrome is half decent so i'm stuck with it.

I think I might switch to Safari here soon. There's just something about Chrome that I love though. I like the logic behind Chrome but I know Safari performs better.

I'd be using Edge if they just fix their darn spell check issues. I don't need a red line over my entire paragraph, Microsoft. 

24 minutes ago, Rodinski said:

I'd be using Edge if they just fix their darn spell check issues. I don't need a red line over my entire paragraph, Microsoft. 

Wwell... what is wrong with this behavior?

Edge: "What? You made THIS mistake? Really? Are you serious? Is this a joke? You know what? It's WRONG!... Yea, It's WRONG... screw this, everything is WRONG! You have 0! You failed!  Get out!! You know what? Formatting your computer! Yea, you don't deserve to use a computer with a mistake like that in your sentence."

:P

If they fix some bugs and things in general with bookmarks I might use it. Gave it a shot, but the way it is now, some small things are so annoying and unpractical I have no intention of bothering with it.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Looked promising at first, but then you look at their real world numbers (the bars labeled average power consumption) and then you realize it's only a ~5% difference between Firefox and Edge. Not worth sacrificing all the benefits of using Firefox. Not on my laptop and definitely not on my desktop.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Wwell... what is wrong with this behavior?

Edge: "What? You made THIS mistake? Really? Are you serious? Is this a joke? You know what? It's WRONG!... Yea, It's WRONG... screw this, everything is WRONG! You have 0! You failed!  Get out!! You know what? Formatting your computer! Yea, you don't deserve to use a computer with a mistake like that in your sentence."

:P

No no! It's a bug where if you make an error and manually correct it, everything after the corrected word is underlined in red. It's really annoying. 

5 hours ago, Rodinski said:

No no! It's a bug where if you make an error and manually correct it, everything after the corrected word is underlined in red. It's really annoying. 

I know.. I am just making fun of it.

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I know.. I am just making fun of it.

Oh man, my bads. 

UPDATE

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12011802/opera-microsoft-edge-opera-battery-life-claims

Opera claims it beats Edge in Battery life in the next episode of Browser Wars.

opera.0.png

"Like most other engineering teams, we love it when someone picks a fight," says Błażej Kaźmierczak, director of software development at Opera. "If we get beaten in a test like this, we consider it a bug."

28 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

UPDATE

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12011802/opera-microsoft-edge-opera-battery-life-claims

Opera claims it beats Edge in Battery life in the next episode of Browser Wars.

opera.0.png

Do they state the specific laptop model+hardware config?

PMSL