Microsoft shows how Edge compares in battery life

ImBleu

What Browser(s) do you use?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What Browser(s) do you use?

2. 2. Would these results make you more likely to move to Microsoft Edge?

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/20/11975514/microsoft-chrome-edge-browser-battery-life-tests

Video: 

chrometest1.0.jpg

Microsoft has created two tests to measure the power consumption by browsers. The first is a test in a lab-controlled environment measuring typical browsing behavior on popular sites, while the second experiment times how long streaming HD video lasts for. 

Microsoft's lab-controlled tests also show that Chrome, Opera, and Firefox all use more battery power than Edge during an automated cycle of opening sites, scrolling articles, watching videos, and opening new tabs. To further prove Microsoft's point, the company is also releasing aggregated telemetry data from millions of Windows 10 machines that show Microsoft Edge and Firefox are both more power efficient than Google's Chrome browser.

I wonder how these results will change when Edge gets its major update this summer which includes browser extensions, however Microsoft (and Google) have both shown interest in making their browsers a little less resource intensive. 

chrometest2.0.png

I personally use Google Chrome on my desktop and Edge on my Laptop, but can't vouch for how the power consumption varies between the two browsers. Chrome clearly leads the market compared to Microsoft Edge, and Opera / Safari / Firefox among others but I think this is an interesting test nonetheless, regardless of what browser you use.

Take the results with a bit of salt though, as I HIGHLY doubt Microsoft would show themselves losing against their competitors in an advert conducted by them, but it is thought provoking nonetheless. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Opera challenges Microsoft's claim, shows Opera beating Edge in battery life test.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12011802/opera-microsoft-edge-opera-battery-life-claims

opera.0.png

"Like most other engineering teams, we love it when someone picks a fight," says Błażej Kaźmierczak, director of software development at Opera. "If we get beaten in a test like this, we consider it a bug."

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

4 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I personally use Google Chrome on my desktop and Edge on my Laptop, but can't vouch for how the power consumption varies between the two browsers

well its not like you and anyone else with a laptop cant test it, just run an hd video on loop and time how long it takes the laptop to die on each browser

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I immediately knew before even clicking that Chrome would be last. It's resource-hungry like no other regardless of OS. Windows, MacOS, Android - all the same. Too bad that Chrome has the best UI and is generally the most pleasant to use on all OSes. That's actually pretty much the only reason I use it. I'd switch browser the moment the UX was better elsewhere and on all platforms too.

On the Mac, I'm guessing Chrome would have the same 4 hour battery life where Safari would probably do 10 hours or so. So if I know I won't have access to charging I switch to Safari just to be sure it lasts. But it kinda pains me to do so.

On Android, the other browsers just can't compare (sadly) and I've tried a lot of browsers. So Chrome it is, even though it kills the battery.

On Windows, I'm mostly using Chrome but I occasionally use Firefox and Edge too just to switch it up a bit.

I actually agree with the test that was done. I use mainly Safari on my macbook and no browser comes close to giving the best battery life like it (6-7 hours easily). And I have also tested all the other browsers beside Safari (obviously) on my SP4 and Edge actually does have the best battery life among them all (Opera come in close second with the power saver mode on). If I'm on battery I'll use Edge but if not, Opera is my main browser. 

Chrome can suck dick on laptop imo.

This is the one reason I try and stick to Safari on my Macbook. 

Desktop is Chrome all the way!

It must be remembered that this is STREAMING VIDEO.

While nice to know for those who like to watch a lot of videos, like YouTube, or Twitch, it would be nice to see how it fairs in terms of loading and navigating pages. Basically, how battery intensive is the page rendering, and Java-Script engine is on the battery, and which one is the best on battery life.

For example, Web Browser 1 can be really fast at page rendering, and Java-Script performance, but the laptop has the shortest battery life.

Web Browser 2 can be the reverse, where it is painfully slow to render pages, and has horrible Java-Script performance, but has the longest battery life.

While difficult to design such test (at least one that will please everyone), I think it would be best for a reviewer to do this (unless, it just happen that Edge is really good at this as well, else I doubt Microsoft will say the other web browser is better), and let the reader, based on its preference pick the best web browser. For example, on desktop, one can pick Web Browser 1. But on the laptop, where that person wants every seconds of battery, and doesn't care about performance at all, and can wait, web browser 2 might of interest, or web browser 3 which could be in between.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

While nice to know for those who like to watch a lot of videos, like YouTube, or Twitch, it would be nice to see how it fairs in terms of loading and navigating pages. Basically, how battery intensive is the page rendering, and Java-Script engine is on the battery, and which one is the best on battery life.

For example, Web Browser 1 can be really fast at page rendering, and Java-Script performance, but the laptop has the shortest battery life.

Web Browser 2 can be the reverse, where it is painfully slow to render pages, and has horrible Java-Script performance, but has the longest battery life.

They should have ran a browser benchmark on a loop on all browsers and timed how long it took the battery to get from full to empty. That would have given a much clearer result. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

whatever. microsoft can still suck my ass. chrome is still the superior browser in any case. and also fuck safari, i'd use chrome on mac over safari fuck that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

whatever. microsoft can still suck my ass.

55186417.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

55186417.jpg

idc. i'm tired of microsoft shoving their fucking services down our throats. especially shit like windows 10 and that HATEFUL bing. i hate how you can't change the default search engine for cortana anymore. it's forced the search through bing. like that's just low, microsoft. fuck you.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

51 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

On the Mac, I'm guessing Chrome would have the same 4 hour battery life where Safari would probably do 10 hours or so. So if I know I won't have access to charging I switch to Safari just to be sure it lasts. But it kinda pains me to do so.

On Android, the other browsers just can't compare (sadly) and I've tried a lot of browsers. So Chrome it is, even though it kills the battery.

On Windows, I'm mostly using Chrome but I occasionally use Firefox and Edge too just to switch it up a bit.

I own multiple Mac devices and exclusively use Safari because it just plain works better than chrome on the OS, it's better optimized. I didn't even bother with chrome on my macbook.

I also tried everything on android (Cyanogen's Browser, Chrome, Opera, Opera Light) and only chrome is half decent so i'm stuck with it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

1 minute ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I own multiple Mac devices and exclusively use Safari because it just plain works better than chrome on the OS, it's better optimized. I didn't even bother with chrome on my macbook.

I also tried everything on android (Cyanogen's Browser, Chrome, Opera, Opera Light) and only chrome is half decent so i'm stuck with it.

really it sucks there isn't a single browser optimised for android. hell even google's own chrome runs like shit on android.

Firefox masterrace.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

No choice but to use opera because of my internet speeds

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I use Chrome most of the time and Firefox on my Linux distros. Honestly, Chrome's impact on my Surface Pro's battery is not that big a deal to me because I still get around 5 hours out of the device and that works for me.

When last I checked, Edge had no extension support, and my extensions are essential to my Internet experience. The fact that Chrome auto imports all my stuff with my Google account to all devices is very convenient too.

So the question becomes, what exactly is the "edge" this new browser is bringing, that's so good that I should switch? Can it do everything Chrome and Firefox does, plus I get 2 hours more battery?

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Well at least Microsoft's efforts haven't been pointless. A massive 11% of LTT people will now consider switching. :P

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/06/20/edge-battery-anniversary-update/

they released this a couple hours ago, its still a bit bare and some of the details about the benches aren't detailed but it has more info that the video.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 hour ago, Commander Llama said:

I use Chrome most of the time and Firefox on my Linux distros. Honestly, Chrome's impact on my Surface Pro's battery is not that big a deal to me because I still get around 5 hours out of the device and that works for me.

When last I checked, Edge had no extension support, and my extensions are essential to my Internet experience. The fact that Chrome auto imports all my stuff with my Google account to all devices is very convenient too.

So the question becomes, what exactly is the "edge" this new browser is bringing, that's so good that I should switch? Can it do everything Chrome and Firefox does, plus I get 2 hours more battery?

Wait a few weeks, and Edge will be more feature complete, improved, and have extension support.

Insiders can already enjoy officially released: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions/

(As more popular extensions are officially released, the page is updated), and you yes, you can side-load extensions if you have one still in the works. Officially, you can get them by searching through the App section of the Store (once Windows10 Anniversary Update is officially released).

I have started using Edge for any flash video streaming (HBO, Hulu, redbull.tv, etc) since Firefox doesn't have native support and even when I install flash it tends to skip and drop frames (on a i7-6800k w/ GTX980?!). Chrome doesn't skip but everytime I go to full screen flash my nvidia drivers crash and recover continuously.... So the only option I had left was Edge and it worked perfectly, Lower CPU/gpu use for video, no skipping, and no GPU driver crash.

I'm a Firefox guy and have been since as long as they became a thing, but for flash video streaming it's by far the best. I still use Firefox for everything else I do and any non-flash video (netflix, YT, vimeo). But I have to hand it to them, Edge is not all that bad, I just wish they'd finally add add-ons to it so I can get ublock...

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

13 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I just wish they'd finally add add-ons to it so I can get ublock...

It's coming in like a month or so, when the next big Windows Anniversary update is released publicly. Although uBlock is not yet available on the Insider Preview but Adblock Plus is (would prefer uBlock myself). 

29 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Wait a few weeks, and Edge will be more feature complete, improved, and have extension support.

Insiders can already enjoy officially released: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions/

(As more popular extensions are officially released, the page is updated), and you yes, you can side-load extensions if you have one still in the works. Officially, you can get them by searching through the App section of the Store (once Windows10 Anniversary Update is officially released).

Funny thing is that a lot of the addons don't show up in the Store itself. You have to use the Extensions menu in Edge and get a link to the Store page from there. It's ridiculous how bad the Windows Store still is. I mean wtf are they doing? Neither looking up extensions manually in the Store or searching for them works. And yes, I've reported how bad the Store is to Microsoft months ago but I doubt the feedback gets read when there isn't a ton of upvotes on it. I suspect that they split up feedback per country even though I report in English regardless of that. It means things are less likely to see wide-spread recognition from users. They should actually add the ability to revert to an international English-language feedback hub.

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

really it sucks there isn't a single browser optimised for android. hell even google's own chrome runs like shit on android.

Yeah, it's ridiculous how Google have been unable to make an efficient browser yet. Actually, expand that to encompass Android in its entirety. They have a ton of work to do on performance, efficiency and optimization yet. They're moving too slow.

3 hours ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I always found Safari's UI jarring. As I mentioned: my primary motivation for using Chrome is the UI/UX and the extension support. The potential speed is of no concern to me. I find most browsers (on desktop) are "fast enough" on modern hardware.

And definitely agreed on the Chrome part. I feel like I'm stuck with it. When you say Cyanogen Browser do you mean the new "Gello" browser that I've seen mentioned as being a new thing or is it an older project?

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is still in the works. Heck the Update system of the Store doesn't work. It will get fixed soon.

Functionality comes at a price, mozilla and chrome both have a crapload of features so they do require a good level of cycles so this energy usage isnt surprising. Its nice that edge is so lightweight but its slow and customising options are pitiful.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

7 hours ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

When I used a mac briefly, I mainly used Safari cos battery life on Chrome was shitty.

Now I use Edge on my laptop (and also desktop) cos I knew Chrome was eating through my battery life.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I hate the Microsoft ecosystem as a whole. The entire ecosystem pretty much sucks.

If anything, it'd be motivated to use Opera on my Surface when battery is a concern.