Microsoft shows how Edge compares in battery life

ImBleu

What Browser(s) do you use?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What Browser(s) do you use?

2. 2. Would these results make you more likely to move to Microsoft Edge?

No they did not.

Opera enabled their battery saving feature, and ad-blocking (and maybe other things, Opera is refusing to say the full setup details) to acheive their result.

Microsoft test was a fair web browser default clean install, with the exception of Opera, where they disabled the ad-blocking as it is enabled by default to match the same setup on all web browsers. They made that clear.

But again, we are looking at video streaming, not actually web surfing on either cases. Good to know for people who watches a lot of videos or uses Netflix, but not useful for the rest.

4 hours ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

*snip*

"Like most other engineering teams, we love it when someone picks a fight," says Błażej Kaźmierczak, director of software development at Opera. "If we get beaten in a test like this, we consider it a bug."

That sounds like me when people defeat my tic-tac-toe AI :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No they did not.

Opera enabled their battery saving feature, and ad-blocking (and maybe other things, Opera is refusing to say the full setup details) to acheive their result.

Microsoft test was a fair web browser default clean install, with the exception of Opera, where they disabled the ad-blocking as it is enabled by default to match the same setup on all web browsers. They made that clear.

But again, we are looking at video streaming, not actually web surfing on either cases. Good to know for people who watches a lot of videos or uses Netflix, but not useful for the rest.

Opera has posted the full details, including down to which exact button presses they used and what type of surface the laptops (which they detail the model of) they used. Since they do mention the AdBlocker (which is an Opera feature, not an extension) and battery saving, it's safe to assume that everything else was kept at default.

Microsoft on the other hand gave us next to no details whatsoever. We can't even tell what website they were streaming video from in their test.

I not only thing Opera's test is fair (far more real world), but also much more trustworthy since they posted all the details needed to replicate the test.

You could say it edges out the competition,  eh. 

please don't kill me

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case