What happened nVIDIA?

hex4
2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

theres multiple reasons why amd wont go bankrupt, and if they do nvidia wont be the "single market player" at least for long.

truth is that both economically and -in fact by law- a monopoly is not a very good situation to be in.

If AMD goes bankrupt Nvidia or some other company will buy AMD but maybe when they buy AMD they will be even more worse than Nvidia? If a new company comes in place it would be sooooo hard for them to fit since they need to start making GPUS,Drivers,Graphics Panels,Technologies and much more and it would be hard for them since Nvidia has all that they just need to make GPUS and put a little driver support 

My memories of a corpse,mind full of sick thoughts.

AMD have needed to keep their old cards supported because only three cards from their entire 300 series (including Fiji) are new. They still have "current" cards that were first released four years ago.

we will see if AMD will continue throwing resources at optimising their old cards in a post-Polaris world in which their entire current lineup is new.

1 minute ago, Lays said:

To be fair, AMD has been rehashing the same similar chips for ages now, IE: working on drivers for their 280x benefitted the 7970, and so on.  It's not a surprise that their older chips have been steadily gaining on their nvidia counterparts, or even surpassing them.  When you re-use the same shit over and over essentially, all of your products will benefit from driver optimizations.  

which isnt necessarily a bad thing to re-use older silicon, i mean, if we ignore power consumption it basicly allows them to decrease research cost by n-1 where n is the amount of GPUs in their new lineup.

which isnt necessarily a bad thing to re-use older silicon, i mean, if we ignore power consumption it basicly allows them to decrease research cost by n-1 where n is the amount of GPUs in their new lineup.

3dfx will alwayz be the best you cant deny that

2 minutes ago, hex4 said:

I actually do think it's a better practice if i'm honest.

Both practices are fine IMO.

On one hand, there isn't a whole lot of innovation, but their past gen stuff gets better support essentially, since the new stuff is so similar.  

If you're halfway decent at saving money, it's really not hard to "keep up with the times" when it comes to GPU's.  Cards come out every 6-12 months essentially, if you can sell your last gen card shortly before the new launch, or shortly after the new launch, you can usually get a good portion of what you spent back.

Pair that with some ~25-50$ a month saving technique, and you can easily afford a new card everytime the new stuff comes out.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Cripple [Crip] said:

3dfx will alwayz be the best you cant deny that

but... 9 hdmi on a single slot card? Q.Q

Matrox-C900-Nine-Output-Graphics-Card.jp

@hex4 to reiterate on what I was saying, I did this with my 980 TI Matrix.   I bought it a while back by selling my 980 Classified for ~$450 if I remember right, bought the Matrix for $710 around Christmas time I think, so about ~6-7 months ago.   I just now sold it yesterday for $500 ( the reason I got $500 was due to special circumstances) So that leaves the remainder of about ~$200 to buy a 1080.  Saving $200 over the course of 7 months isn't hard at all, that's only a measly $28.50 a month.  

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

7 minutes ago, hex4 said:

I actually do think it's a better practice if i'm honest.

plus you're not artificially forced to upgrade every new release

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, Lays said:

@hex4 to reiterate on what I was saying, I did this with my 980 TI Matrix.   I bought it a while back by selling my 980 Classified for ~$450 if I remember right, bought the Matrix for $710 around Christmas time I think, so about ~6-7 months ago.   I just now sold it yesterday for $500 ( the reason I got $500 was due to special circumstances) So that leaves the remainder of about ~$200 to buy a 1080.  Saving $200 over the course of 7 months isn't hard at all, that's only a measly $28.50 a month.  

I like your methods, i have dry spells with work at the moment which contributes to me being out of the GPU loop by a generation or two, but i'm ready for RX 480.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but... 9 hdmi on a single slot card? Q.Q

Matrox-C900-Nine-Output-Graphics-Card.jp

It does not matter they just made 9 for safe priority if you want 9 monitors dont know why thats what they made it for also if they have some extra hdmi ports that does not decrease performance,so you know if you want 9 of these bad boys connected you got yourself a deal

anoldmonitor.jpg

1 minute ago, Cripple [Crip] said:

It does not matter they just made 9 for safe priority if you want 9 monitors dont know why thats what they made it for also if they have some extra hdmi ports that does not decrease performance,so you know if you want 9 of these bad boys connected you got yourself a deal

anoldmonitor.jpg

well, they advertise them like this, maybe barnacules could do a review on one of them :P

7720_2000948857.jpg

Just now, hex4 said:

I like your methods, i have dry spells with work at the moment which contributes to me being out of the GPU loop by a generation or two, but i'm ready for RX 480.

I was so pumped to get 500 for my card, I figured I'd only get a hair over 400.  I was hoping someone would bite on it because of the overclocking results I achieved with it, and I was right :D

The RX480 does look very interesting, although I think the rumors are getting EXTREMELY out of hand!  It seems everyday there is more bullshit ideas people are finding on the net or making up themselves about the card lol.

well, they advertise them like this, maybe barnacules could do a review on one of them :P

7720_2000948857.jpg

Holt shit what was the pixel support for the voodoo xDxDxD

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

It is absolutely a bad thing. There is a reason that the 390X and 280X cost £400 in their original incarnations. They are huge dies. Not to mention both are heavily binned to achieve their now standard factory overclock. An awful lot of silicon is wasted on massive, low yield, chips like this, and to waste them on low or mid tier products is madness.

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

It is absolutely a bad thing. There is a reason that the 390X and 280X cost £400 in their original incarnations. They are huge dies. Not to mention both are heavily binned to achieve their now standard factory overclock. An awful lot of silicon is wasted on massive, low yield, chips like this, and to waste them on low or mid tier products is madness.

Yields actually improved somewhat on the 390 vs the 290 and price is lower than the 290 MSRP

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

It is absolutely a bad thing. There is a reason that the 390X and 280X cost £400 in their original incarnations. They are huge dies. Not to mention both are heavily binned to achieve their now standard factory overclock. An awful lot of silicon is wasted on massive chips like this, and to waste them on low or mid tier products is madness.

you know, in threads like these i try to keep to as neutral of a position as possible. which is hard seeing i only have one (stone age) amd processor, and my radeon HD5770 that kills a fan every time i use it.

i however cant help but notice a very different vibe from either side of the fence, where both amd and nvidia owners seem to have radically different opinions on things. (note: not saying either one is right, if even one of the sides is)

Said it many times before. Nvidia only makes cards to perform right here right now. They are not designed to last. Why both Kepler and Maxwell were severely VRam starved, which we see in several games today. Furthermore they like their planned obsolescence, where they simply abandon optimization for 1 generation old cards. Get ready to see Maxwell crash and burn over the next year.

Of course all of this is made worse by the architectures not being future proof or doing async compute very well. Add to that all the Apple'esque vendor lock in with proprietary technology, like gsync and going full retard on the pricing (700$ for a x80 card in the 1080, are you kidding me?), and you get an understanding of why I don't like NVidia.

They have anti competitive, anti consumer and anti future proof products/strategies, that only hurt consumers. I simply don't understand why anyone would support such a company?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

i dont use amd because i hate how hot their cards run at? and most people dont buy cards based on performance, they buy whatever pleases them.

3 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

i dont use amd because i hate how hot their cards run at? and most people dont buy cards based on performance, they buy whatever pleases them.

AMD cards does not run very hot, the 200 series did, but not the 300 seires.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Well this is what happends when a company starts to have most of the marked.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

AMD cards does not run very hot, the 200 series did, but not the 300 seires.

...you're aware that apart from the 380X and Fiji the 200 series IS the 300 series, right?

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

...you're aware that apart from the 380X and Fiji the 200 series IS the 300 series, right?

yes and no, you see the TDP was lowered since the TDP of the 390x is the same as the 290x, buuut the 390x clock speeds are higher at the same TDP and there are different BIOS's on them. The coolers for the 300 series also became better than the ones on the 200 series. 

390x Clock speed: 1050MHz, effective memory clock speed 6000MHz, memory clock speed 1500MHz

290x Clock speed: 1000MHz, effective memory clock speed 5000MHz, memory clock speed 1250MHz

37 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

With the exception of the reference 290(X) AMD cards run just as cool...

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Like i said, people buy card based on their want and needs and the amd cards are considered hot in my book.

my built is aimed for silence, meaning no sound. If i dump a amd card in there then its certain the fans will need to ramp up hard.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Like i said, people buy card based on their want and needs and the amd cards are considered hot in my book.

my built is aimed for silence, meaning no sound. If i dump a amd card in there then its certain the fans will need to ramp up hard.

You see, comments like these show exactly how little research you've done. Check out reviews of Sapphire cards. I guarantee the 390 Nitro is cooler and quieter than any air-cooled 970 you can buy today.