Does Your Machine Make Sense?

Dash Lambda
7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Bought a 5.25" to 3.5-2.5" drive bay with a front intake fan for HDDs and SSD. Installed into my case, but I never used it. Have 2 case fans that are installed, but it's not plugged in.

BTW, it's this thing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995073&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=5.25"_to_2.5"_drive_bay-_-17-995-073-_-Product

whats the problem? Why not it makes a great why to add extra drive to a system if all the prebuild drive cases are filled

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

My video card doesn't I guess. i7 4790k with 16GB of Dominator Platinum 1866MHz, a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (on a PCIe adapter board to get the full speed), and 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. Then an old ass reference cooled EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC. Though, when availability gets better and I have some extra spending money, GTX 1070 time.

Also, my PSU. EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2. The most I've seen this system pull under load was MAYBE 400W. A 550G2 would have me covered just fine. Funnily enough I have a 550G2 on the way.... for my home theater computer that pulls even less power. Seriously though, when I bought the 850, I was just looking at best rated PSUs on Newegg and it was one of the best and on sale for a reasonable price.

23 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

whats the problem? Why not it makes a great why to add extra drive to a system if all the prebuild drive cases are filled

The prebuit drive bays lacks air flow or anywhere to install a case fan. I want to cool down my drivers, but never got to it.

rc-1000_008.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What doesn't make sense with mine;

i3-4170 ... on a Z87-PLUS motherboard ... with 16GB of 2400 ...

Plus I forgot to install the I/O shield and my house is dusty AF ... :(

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

It makes sense for me but it is definitely not what I recommend for other people.. 

If I didn't do the full custom water loop I could have had a sli 980ti/5820k system.. instead of the 6600k/gtx980 system I actually built.  I would always recommend not water cooling until you have top of the line components.. But.. I was ok with it, because I watch youtube, play music, and sometimes game... on a 1080 60hz panel.. So what I have is perfect, and will be for a while.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

In the thinking that it's too powerful for what I do, my machine didn't make sense. Now that I stream, it's practical.

I suppose to 850W PSU running 2x 780Ti and a 4690K is a little nonsensical, needs to be bigger, can't get much of an OC out of the CPU since adding the second GPU.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

4690k and 750 ti

'nuff said

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Could use a better quality power supply and a faster GPU.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I think mine makes sense.

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

i do think mine makes some sense. the only non-sensical thing i can think of at this moment is that i have my hard drive not actually in some kind of bracket, but just loose in the case.

other than that i think mine makes perfect sense :P

I have 7 Case Fans. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 07/06/2016 at 8:32 AM, UnbrokenMotion said:

Here is mine

- Using an mITX motherboard in a full size ATX case

- r7 240 2GB Graphics card even though I do a lot of gaming

- Thermal probe on CPU even though an Athlon 5350 barely reaches body temperature.

- HDD mounted not on HDD mount but in a 3.25" expansion bay.

- Using a non-overclocking motherboard and then overclocking CPU by 50 mHz

My rig does not make sense.

Oh that is funny. mITX board in a full tower! Nice. xD

On June 7, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Dash Lambda said:

I hope there's not another thread like this, point me to it if there is.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how my computer is a bit of an assemblage of things I tell people not to do. Now I'm curious, since "do as I say, not as I do" is such a common phrase, what about you guys?

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about mistakes or anything like that. This is for things that you knew were silly and did them anyway.

I'll start:

-I have a 950 Pro on a Z97 platform.

-I have a PhysX card.

-I have a 1kW PSU for a system that barely uses half that.

-My GPU's are mismatched.

-I have an intake fan on top.

Mine makes sense for what I do. Except for the dual 6gb cards. Never come close to using them fully.

Yes it does:

I7 4770 cause I have a YouTube channel and I renders 1080P 60fps footage regulary

16 Gb of ram: okay this does not make muck sense

850 evo

2tb WD green

750ti because I'm waiting on the 480 to drop

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

1 hour ago, WasThatDave said:

Mine makes sense for what I do. Except for the dual 6gb cards. Never come close to using them fully.

... I'd comment on the fact that it's a Mac Pro, and the fact that it's nearly the highest configuration, and the fact that you only referred to the GPUs by their RAM (which is about as useful as saying you have a 32GB computer), but...

Your RAM is listed as DDR4. Why is that?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

55 minutes ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

Yes it does:

I7 4770 cause I have a YouTube channel and I renders 1080P 60fps footage regulary

16 Gb of ram: okay this does not make muck sense

850 evo

2tb WD green

750ti because I'm waiting on the 480 to drop

Because an i7 and a 750ti makes so much sense.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Mine makes sense (in sig) 

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

On 6/7/2016 at 7:24 AM, Dash Lambda said:

I hope there's not another thread like this, point me to it if there is.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how my computer is a bit of an assemblage of things I tell people not to do. Now I'm curious, since "do as I say, not as I do" is such a common phrase, what about you guys?

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about mistakes or anything like that. This is for things that you knew were silly and did them anyway.

Just look at my sig, and i chose to use my hyper 212evo over my h100i was the only silly part, and i did it because i didn't want the rad on top, and there is no room to put it up front (i use a disk drive, and my bottom set of drive bays, with a fan on bottom),  the rest were upgrades over time (the cpu, mobo, and one of the asus monitors are the original from the build).

Nothing to see here, move along

Mine does to some extent. But it really isn't used to its full potential. Not even close.

GTX970

32GB RAM

256GB SSD, with a couple of random hard drives for storage

750W PSU

All within an Antec Sonata III, something I really ought to change at some point.

And two Dell U2711's. A monitor that I love, and won't switch from until OLED becomes affordable.

8359 cooled by h100i, 8gb of ram, 250 ssd + 500gb for stuff and a 7770

mostly use my desktop for minecraft or euro truck sim for games and development such as websites and what not. I di have a virtual machine running windows for c# I main ubuntu

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I have 2 case fans.

None are spinning.

I always leave both side panels off.

The PSU is not screwed, just lies loose in my case.

I didn't do my cable management because the motherboard blocks the hole where the CPU power goes and I don't feel like taking the motherboard out.

Some cables from my PSU lie around my PC like some spiderweb.

I have the stock AMD heatsink, but I ziptied a more silent fan on it that I stole from a core i3 cooler.

I uninstalled all dust filters for no reason.

Even though my case has front panel USB 3.0, I plugged them in USB 2.0 on my motherboard.

The USB 3.0 connector gets stuck in the GPU fan way too often.

37 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I have 2 case fans.

None are spinning.

I always leave both side panels off.

The PSU is not screwed, just lies loose in my case.

I didn't do my cable management because the motherboard blocks the hole where the CPU power goes and I don't feel like taking the motherboard out.

Some cables from my PSU lie around my PC like some spiderweb.

I have the stock AMD heatsink, but I ziptied a more silent fan on it that I stole from a core i3 cooler.

I uninstalled all dust filters for no reason.

Even though my case has front panel USB 3.0, I plugged them in USB 2.0 on my motherboard.

The USB 3.0 connector gets stuck in the GPU fan way too often.

If I took of all the dust filters, I'd.. Well, I'm not sure. But let me tell you that I [/i] bought[/i] separate Silverstone dust filters because my case didn't have any. I hate cleaning dust but at the same time, I can't stand it. It gets all over my K70 and I have to wipe my finger over the aluminum sideways because it's brushed. If I do it straight on, little skin particles fall off and get on the keyboard. I'm not sure how to prevent dust on my keyboard. If you have any ideas, tell me.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Mine surely doesnt.... below:

1. Asus Z87-Deluxe, a 387€ motheboard with wifi capabilities and antenna and dual gigabit ethernet ports which i never used. Thunderbolt support also never utilized, due to the need of a separate adapter. This was a hotspot, bluetooth, wifi, ethernet oriented motherboard, features i dont even need actually... so 200€ down the drain just on this! I really regret this one, and its the worst of all the parts ive gotten!
  2. Intel I5 4670, which is the thing i most regret now. The motherboard should have some good overclocking capabilities, but given how my cpu was locked and i intentionally planned on getting a 4770K, mine is long overdue for an upgrade, because i want to overclock the flipping cpu but surprise.... Its locked and i didnt even tought of getting the I5 4670K, but back then i wasnt even interested in overclocking and the fellah at the store implied "If your not overclocking, theres no need for the "K". What he didnt say is that if i ever planned to get better performance, that i would have to waste more money on a motherboard and cpu! I wasnt buying on a budget, so i pretty much got fooled here! 210€ down the drain again.
  3. EVGA GTX 770 SC/ACX, again, i wasnt buying on a budget. My initial intention was to get a GTX 780 and period! Sadly, because with an I5 4670 + GTX 770 over the I7 4770K + GTX 780 i would have gotten a 250€ discount, but in the long run, it wasnt worth it at all!
  4. G.Skill 1600Mhz 32GB DDR3 Quad Channel memory.... and its 1600Mhz because of its XMP profile, otherwise the 1333Mhz! 285€ pretty wasted right here! Might aswell have gotten some sexy 16 Corsair Platinum ones for less 100€! (For a period of time i did have some Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 2133Mhz and i could have asked to replace my G.Skill ones for those, which were faulty back then, but nope! I stayed with G.Skill and its been working fine actually and i like theyr design. But, 32GB of it is why its so flippin wasted.
  5. Logitech Z506 speakers, 5.1 channel surround and they are pretty bad... The power on/off button on the main speaker is always getting stuck and wont go in unless you do a "Hayah" finger slap, the surround sound is not that great and audio quality is also not very good. Loudness is decent and its bass and voice performance too, but overhaul, theyr not very realible. This is my 2nd group of them, hence why i say this.

Everything else, the Corsair AX860I, the Corsair C70 case, the Corsair H110I GT, which makes no sense right now but you know, money is a butch, the UPS Eaton 650W and the 256GB 850 Pro, the Corsair Force GS 128GB and the Green Disk its all nice i supose!

Now, where is that Hybrid 1080! :D? Man, i really want to get one if its possible of course!

Groomlake Authority