Does Your Machine Make Sense?

Dash Lambda
11 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I hope there's not another thread like this, point me to it if there is.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how my computer is a bit of an assemblage of things I tell people not to do. Now I'm curious, since "do as I say, not as I do" is such a common phrase, what about you guys?

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about mistakes or anything like that. This is for things that you knew were silly and did them anyway.

I'll start:

-I have a 950 Pro on a Z97 platform.

-I have a PhysX card.

-I have a 1kW PSU for a system that barely uses half that.

-My GPU's are mismatched.

-I have an intake fan on top.

r9 380 and say its sufficient 

600 bronze psu.

mismatched ram

i raid 0

i don't overclock

hyper 212x, 90c.

case panel is missing

i use the io ports on the case instead of my motherboard

i run my whole room off of 2 electrical outlets.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Mid 2012 Macbook Pro. Dual booted OSX and Win10. Connected to a 42" TV. It is a pretty under powered setup for the stuff I want to do. Unfortunately I can't afford anything else right now.

TL;DR- Hell no

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Where do I begin?

Ebay Engineering Sample S2600CP4J Dual Socket LGA2011 Motherboard, (missing all but 2 SATA ports)

Ebay Engineering Sample E5-2680, C0 stepping (QB79) Only 1 mind you.

Pawn Shop Server case that I mutilated.

12 500GB HDDs in RAID50 from the case

Craigslist r9 290x

Thermaltake TR2 700W PSU

Ebay Raid Controller LSI 9650SE-12ML

2 250 GB SSDs for cache

I'm using a TV as a monitor as the motherboard has no Sound Outputs

PCI-e Wireless Intel card

I still have to connect it though ethernet though

I currently have 2 4GB sticks of Kingston 1333 desktop RAM in it

It's cooled by a Asetek 570LC

I'm using a

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite(It copied over like that, so I'm leaving it)

I'm using a Microsoft IntelliMouse(R)... mouse (USB 1.1 though! None of that USB 2.0 or 3.0 garbage!)

I just bought 5 ARCTIC F8 fans to hopefully make it quieter (Isn't that funny, a quiet server)

I run it as an UnRAID server that I have Windows 10 running off of. 

(Only reason is because Windows 10 hates the hardware and gives me an ACPI BIOS error even when disabling ACPI)

It surprisingly all... usually works. There's some kinks I'm working out, but hey, it games.

I should get an award for that. Or maybe get shot. Not sure.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

One dead ssd.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

11 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I used to have an R7 240 with that exact setup, except the 1080p was a TV.

Hmm, fair enough. Funny thing for me though is the size of each monitor. My smaller monitor has a height resolution of 1024 yet it is the exact size of the 1080 monitor in height too. Might just be because my smaller monitor is quite old.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Mine is great. If I explain it out all the way it will make sense. I promise.

i7-5820k

32 GB Kingston HyperX Memory
ASRock X99 Extreme4

Where to start on this part... I promised myself that I wouldn't upgrade my PC until DDR4 came out because I was on an i5-750 that was a champion overclocker. Newegg had a shellshocker with these components (well, half that ram).  Oh and I didn't have to pay for it. I traded my PC at the time to my little brother, who bought the shellshocker deal, and I gave him $100 because the graphics cards came with me. 

Samsung 850 Pro 256 

Alright so my previous SSD (which had already been RMA'd once just inside warranty) died, and I was tired of dealing with having to RMA every 2 years for a 60 GB boot drive, so I bought the fastest, most reliable drive on the market that suited my needs as a boot drive and (probably) couldn't be filled by windows unpacking itself into as much free space as possible. Coincidentally, using Samsung Magician to configure for maximum reliability meant that my pagefile/caching was disabled to save wear and tear, and it turns out that what windows can do in 4GB RAM causes hard crashes because it FLIPS OUT. So I had to double down on RAM and buy a second kit, but by that time the kits were half the cost at release so ok... Except Windows still occasionally gives me low memory warnings and flips the fuck out with EIGHT GIGS TO SPARE.

Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch HDD

WD 2TB USB 3.0 External Portable Drive

Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External Portable Drive

OK, so the externals are a bit hard to justify, until you realize that they need just one USB 3.0 cord to get power and send data, and that's cool as hell. I just like USB 3.0 OK?

Corsair CX 750 Power Supply

XFX Double D Black Edition R9 290 

This one looks reasonable.  A power supply that is affordable and reliable, and a powerful card that was obtained for $200. BUT WAIT. It's my brothers. My card is an HD 7950 and it's in his computer, and there was one that went with it but it is dead/AFK/MIA. Little brother was in final semester as electrical engineer, and I complained about rastor noise on my GPU, so he was like I can totally fix that and nearly bricked it, so while he was doing some SERIOUS solder work on it we put his card in my system since he didn't have time to game anyways.

Samsung U28E590D 28" UHD PLS Monitor

SOOOOO I do freelance IT work and one week I was sick and tired of looking for cells I need in a spreadsheet and I had really been wanting one and just gotten paid on a big contract so hey why not. It was only like $500 in store, except I forgot that sales tax is a thing. Still cheaper than online plus the whole return anytime in 15 days if I didn't like it, which makes not impulse buying a thing of the past.

Zalman R1 Case

Zalman 9900 Max-B CPU Cooler

OK I CAN EXPLAIN. So the thing is that I wanted a quite case and I had been hearing good things about Zalman, and then I found the Linus Review that was basically "A steal at $30, but you will hate it if you pay MSRP" and I got it with MIRB for $27 so that was clearly good value for money. It is supposed to be really quite, it has a top cover thing you can have over the fans, and a front door that is lined with sound absorbing foam! Oh except that if I use those while under load, not only is my system still very loud, it quickly hits 105° across all components. Also, there was no clear consensus on whether I could fit a good tower cooler, or ever a hyper 212 in the case, so I went with the Zalman 9900 because they look cool and were review as not being the worst thing ever.

So, yeah, I would say that my system makes sense. It just needs like 8 pages of foot notes.

EDIT: I almost forgot my keyboard and mouse.
Razor Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

Razor Auroboros Wireless Mouse
           I like mechanical keyboards, and the blackwidow was a good choice at the time I bought            it.
           THE MOUSE LOOKS LIKE AN AUTOBOT IN DEFAULT CONFIGURATION. That is all.

5820k - not overclocked

cpu, ram and mobo all individually cost more than my gpu

case LEDs with spaghetti cables

connecting every device i can to wifi

needlessly big OS drive

I run my whole room from one power outlet

Do as I say, not as I do!

I really like my rig, but it dowsn't make a lot of sense

my motherboard costs more than my cpu (x99-e ws and a 5820k)

my memory costs almost the same as my cpu (32gb dominator platinums)

for all the extra money i could have bought a second 980ti, but i just couldn't resist :P

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

On 6/7/2016 at 2:39 PM, spwath said:

Custom Watercooled Fx-6300 on motherboard that wont allow me to OC, radiator external to case and in my window, spent more on periferals than actual pc.

$200 monitor

$300 Keyboard

$250 wheel

$200 Speakers

$60 mouse

$300 cooling system

$1310 total on non performance enhancing computer stuffs

FX 6300, 50$ mb, HD 7950....

I would like to know what keyboard you have...and what you mean by wheel...do you mean racing wheel?

1 minute ago, MIXFUSED said:

I would like to know what keyboard you have...and what you mean by wheel...do you mean racing wheel?

Yeah, racing wheel.

A custom keyboaord im building, not doone yet.

Right half, with left f a different keybard
20160527_172121.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 hours ago, spwath said:

Yeah, racing wheel.

A custom keyboaord im building, not doone yet.

Right half, with left f a different keybard
20160527_172121.jpg

and it has costed you 200 bucks...?

wut

I'm using a Green Drive for boot. Enough said.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

oh...oh no

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

WHYYYYY ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

For me, "making sense" is defined as getting the job it was built for done and doing so for a reasonable price. As much as my system is more or less a Frankenstein's monster with parts from all over and only a handful of things remaining from its creation, it certainly does that and I am pretty sure I haven't overspent on anything. The main issue it has right now is that it's running on a spare psu that has cables too short to cable manage properly and it is literally sitting out of the case because of that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, MIXFUSED said:

and it has costed you 200 bucks...?

wut

$300. And that's cheap for a custom keyboard

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

$300. And that's cheap for a custom keyboard

Yeah I guess....tell me when it's done I would love to see it!

If I were to do things again from scratch... I wouldn't put the Corsair HX110i GTX on my non-OC 6700k (high end air would suffice), but I really do need water cooling on the 980Ti with stock blower as it often thermal throttles.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

nope i5 6600k and a gtx 645 (2 GB). for the people that have never heard off the gtx 645 its a oem card that can bought by oems in 2 variation: 1 and 2 GB off GDDR5. its not very powerful at all. a gtx 750 will beat it

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

I would say so

except for reference GPU in silence optimized case

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

11 minutes ago, MIXFUSED said:

Yeah I guess....tell me when it's done I would love to see it!

I've got a build log

Nope to underpowered for my workload. 

Bought a 5.25" to 3.5-2.5" drive bay with a front intake fan for HDDs and SSD. Installed into my case, but I never used it. Have 2 case fans that are installed, but it's not plugged in.

BTW, it's this thing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995073&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=5.25"_to_2.5"_drive_bay-_-17-995-073-_-Product

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, spwath said:

I've got a build log

awesome followed it can't wait for final product!

ax1500i psu

3 way 390x

msi xpower x99s

128 gb ddr4.

the stupid thing is that the board doesnt even support 128 gb, so im going to have to sell all of it, and get 8 sticks of 8 gb each. i have 8 sticks of 16 gb rn.

rip