Microsoft isn't building a self driving car. It's going to power some....

AlTech

micro.PNG

So Microsoft wants to power Self Driving cars BUT not actually build one :).

This is typical of Microsoft as they want to be in Software and not hardware (maybe they might make a reference car in the future if it all comes to shit).

windowscars.PNG

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/3/11850214/microsoft-self-driving-car-software

Microsoft isn't interested in building its own self-driving car. Speaking at the Converge conference in Hong Kong this week, Microsoft's Peggy Johnson revealed that the company will continue to build software for cars rather than create vehicles. "We won't be building our own autonomous vehicle but we would like to enable autonomous vehicles and assisted driving as well," said Johnson, who is the head of business development at Microsoft.

Google and Fiat Chrysler agreed last month to work together to build self-driving Chrysler Pacifica minivans with Google's autonomous technology. It appears that Microsoft is keen to follow a similar path, but just on the software side. "We in different ways enabled a variety of different partners and you'll see us continuing to do that," explained Johnson. Microsoft is open to partners requesting an operating system for cars, and Johnson specifically cites examples of being able to work in self-driving cars eventually.

Harman is integrating Microsoft Office 365 into its infotainment systems, and the partnership will bring the entire suite of productivity apps including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to cars for the first time. "You're sitting in the car for many, many minutes a day. Can that be part of your new office, can it be your new desk, a place where you actually get work done?" asked Johnson. "We believe it can."

Microsoft has a long history of providing software for vehicles. Ford, Kia, BMW, Nissan, and Fiat have all used special versions of Windows to create their own interfaces and systems. Microsoft even revealed its "Windows in the car" initiative two years ago, but it has yet to partner with any manufacturers to make it a reality.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Judging by what I've seen from the surface products and windows phone, M$ is right to keep away from the hardware side. 

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Just now, unidentical said:

Judging by what I've seen from the surface products and windows phone, M$ is right to keep away from the hardware side. 

Surface devices are quite nice actually. And FYI, the reason why they want to avoid Hardware is because it's not as profitable as software.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Surface devices are quite nice actually. And FYI, the reason why they want to avoid Hardware is because it's not as profitable as software.

I've worked with several surface devices from every generation. They're very pretty, but they're not great at anything and every single one that I've seen has had stability issues.

I didn't speculate as to Microsoft's reasons for not producing much hardware, my comment was only that they aren't good at it when they do.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

18 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

"Good news! Your car firmware update is ready! No I don't care you're in the middle of the highway, we're doing this now!!!!!"
car_crash_nissan_r35_gtr_burns_down_in_m

Updating to carOS 10...

Oops, looks like something went wrong

And this,  my friend,  is how you brick a car. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

18 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

"Good news! Your car firmware update is ready! No I don't care you're in the middle of the highway, we're doing this now!!!!!"

this is gold :D

Let's agree to disagree

Just imagine the car with MS logo xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Microsoft isn't maybe the best in the mainstream consumer market but they brought some nice innovative products that now all the others are copying, I for one am pretty happy with my Surface Pro 3 although I'm using Linux as my main desktop OS. They still have to get the their hardware in the Surface Book under control though, even Microsoft can't get it right with Windows on their own device with PCIe 'plug-and-play' while the device is running.

Looking forward to their augmented reality headset too, especially if it comes in a more portable/modern package so you don't look like coming out of a sci-fi walking around with it.

23 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, why did nobody tell me of this conference? I live close to it, I could have gone to it!

Number of seats are limited, you will only get in as an invited journalist.

11 minutes ago, Celmor said:

Microsoft isn't maybe the best in the mainstream consumer market but they brought some nice innovative products that now all the others are copying, I for one am pretty happy with my Surface Pro 3 although I'm using Linux as my main desktop OS. They still have to get the their hardware in the Surface Book under control though, even Microsoft can't get it right with Windows on their own device with PCIe 'plug-and-play' while the device is running.

Looking forward to their augmented reality headset too, especially if it comes in a more portable/modern package so you don't look like coming out of a sci-fi walking around with it.

Number of seats are limited, you will only get in as an invited journalist.

Oh ok....

I feel bad for the first person who blue screens on an interstate.

Please stop getting into driverless cars. We already have more than enough morons on the street driving. The last thing we need is more of them "DRIVING", without a steering.

On 6/3/2016 at 10:57 PM, unidentical said:

They'd be right to keep away from the software side as well

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 03/06/2016 at 8:57 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Sorry for going off topic but I disagree. Outside of the SP2, I have had only bud problems with their surface line up. Windows 10 has been an absolute joke for me as well (driver teams can't do much as they have to send them off to Microsoft to fix certain issues with the wireless and video drivers). 

I agree that MS should stay with software. They done goofed. 

should i be expecting them to make a selfdriving car and selfdriving car pro down the line, with the first one being overpriced, and the second one being twice as expensive, and them releasing a selfdriving convertible that may bluescreen when you open the roof? xD

6 hours ago, Rodinski said:

Sorry for going off topic but I disagree. Outside of the SP2, I have had only bud problems with their surface line up. Windows 10 has been an absolute joke for me as well (driver teams can't do much as they have to send them off to Microsoft to fix certain issues with the wireless and video drivers). 

I agree that MS should stay with software. They done goofed. 

Whatever, it's your opinion and it isn't shared by me

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

should i be expecting them to make a selfdriving car and selfdriving car pro down the line, with the first one being overpriced, and the second one being twice as expensive, and them releasing a selfdriving convertible that may bluescreen when you open the roof? xD

Windows in Cars: Hold on, you need to download the new driver for opening the roof LMAO

It costs a lot more to build a self-driving car than to actually support them. I don't think it's surprising since Microsoft usually builds software for hardware with some notable exceptions.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

27 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows in Cars: Hold on, you need to download the new driver for opening the roof LMAO

no drivers found xD

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

no drivers found xD

im sure that the self driving cars will have wifi or LTE. If not then that'd just stupid

integrating office 365 into a car? Who is going to create/view powerpoints/spreadsheets/word docs while driving (is this assisted like Tesla's, or are they talking about adding this to a fully autonomous vehicle?)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 05/06/2016 at 7:52 AM, RexinOridle said:

Please stop getting into driverless cars. We already have more than enough morons on the street driving. The last thing we need is more of them "DRIVING", without a steering.

What about people such as me who cannot drive due to medical reasons? Well I do get a free bus pass.

Linus is my fetish.

7 minutes ago, Bhav said:

What about people such as me who cannot drive due to medical reasons? Well I do get a free bus pass.

I agree, that is an absolutely a valid reasonable reason to not to drive. Taxi, Uber or public transportation is still a better choice in my point of view. I believe you will agree that it's unnecessary to add more possible points of failure in a system, such as an autonomous system. If something goes wrong in a car, would you rather be in a driverless car or one with a driver?

On 6/4/2016 at 4:33 AM, Misanthrope said:

My thoughts exactly.

The thought of Microsoft developing software to operate a machine that could potentially kill people is very worrying indeed.