i7 4790K not overclocked Prime95 insane temps

Hello all first post, my i7 4790K is getting around 95C + under prime95 100% cpu load stress test.

When playing games like bf4 temps do not go above 50-60C

Is there something wrong with my cpu ? I was planning on getting a h115i corsair cpu cooler to overclock but seems pointless doing so because of these stock clock temps...

And I did apply the thermal paste correctly pea sized .

specs...

Hyper evo 212 with ARTIC MX4 

980ti

i7 4790K

Msi z97 

600w bronze psu

I just used intelburntest same results...

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

if stock clocked, then you are stress testing the adaptive voltage mode (not good, will create excessive high temperatures). should be using a staic voltage mode to not over-volt and stress the CPU. you could also use these settings for P95:

p95-1344.png

Avoid Prime95 on Haswell CPUs, use Aida64 instead.

I generally dont go over 50C while gaming (with 25C room temp) with my AIO and a hefty 4.8GHz OC.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

1 hour ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Avoid Prime95 on Haswell CPUs, use Aida64 instead.

I generally dont go over 50C while gaming (with 25C room temp) with my AIO and a hefty 4.8GHz OC.

Cool thank you ! May I ask how much voltage you added to achieve a 4.8ghz OC? 

and how much faster is 4.4ghz to 4.8ghz OC performance wise

guys, it is not a haswell CPU, it is a devils canyon CPU and proper usage of P95 is worth using.

1 minute ago, harryxz said:

Cool thank you ! May I ask how much voltage you added to achieve a 4.8ghz OC? 

and how much faster is 4.4ghz to 4.8ghz OC performance wise

My CPU's voltage is set as adaptive up to 1.35v. The real-world improvements of 4.4Ghz to 4.8Ghz (or 5.0 in winter if I put the voltage up to 1.4v) is minimal and basically trivial. It's purely for "showing off" more than anything and doesnt give much improvements outside of synthetic tests (such as, for example, 3DMark scores). My CPU is currently running "underclocked" at 3.1Ghz purely because the workload of browsing chrome isn't exactly very high and I can basically not tell the difference between this and 4.8Ghz.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

You can use Prime95 without issue on Haswell as long as you use version 26.6 or lower as that doesn't use the AVX instruction set which is what really cranks the heat up on them.

I remember this guy on this forum was spree posting about how we should use the Prime95 on Haswell CPUs. I don't know what settings he wanted us to use. But he was pissed off about us saying that we should not use Prime95 on Haswell CPUs.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

well lets get back on topic guys I used intelburntest got the same high temps .. Is this going to have to be a RMA ?

Its not overclocked I don't see why temps are going up to 95C under load...

3 minutes ago, kameshss said:

I remember this guy on this forum was spree posting about how we should use the Prime95 on Haswell CPUs. I don't know what settings he wanted us to use. But he was pissed off about us saying that we should not use Prime95 on Haswell CPUs.

prime95 on anything is idiotic.

1 minute ago, harryxz said:

well lets get back on topic guys I used intelburntest got the same high temps .. Is this going to have to be a RMA ?

sigh, so temps are a bit high but not RMA worthy, have you tried reseating the cooler with more thermal paste? LTT did a video that basically suggested as long as you used enough it didn't matter, so if you want feel free to use a bit more and try again.

Also, feel free to use Intel XTU.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

prime95 on anything is idiotic.

i dunno abt tat. I don have a haswell CPU or I've not used it. But he proved that we're all wrong. This happened 6 months ago.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

4 minutes ago, harryxz said:

I'd reseat the cooler on the CPU to make sure it has good contact and no air bubbles in the TIM.

35 minutes ago, harryxz said:

Hello all first post, my i7 4790K is getting around 95C + under prime95 100% cpu load stress test.

When playing games like bf4 temps do not go above 50-60C

Is there something wrong with my cpu ? I was planning on getting a h115i corsair cpu cooler to overclock but seems pointless doing so because of these stock clock temps...

And I did apply the thermal paste correctly pea sized .

specs...

Hyper evo 212 with ARTIC MX4 

980ti

i7 4790K

Msi z97 

600w bronze psu

delid your processor. It's cringe worthy, and after doing it I got lower temps. Anyways I had 80 c at stock clock, and people told me to use blend instead of small FFT, and sure enough it worked. Now I got a overclock of 4.8 Ghz on my 4790k hitting 80-90 c under load.

1 minute ago, kameshss said:

i dunno abt tat. I don have a haswell CPU or I've not used it. But he proved we all wrong. This happened 6 months ago.

One, it doesn't harm haswell CPUs any more or less than others (assuming you don't have it on adaptive voltage). Two, it is insane overkill for stability testing.

Just now, Dionyz said:

delid your processor. It's cringe worthy, and after doing it I got lower temps. Anyways I had 80 c at stock temp, and people told me to use blend instead of small FFT, and sure enough it worked. I got a overclock of 4.8 Ghz on my 4790k

Yea lol no, please don't randomly recommend people delid... Not a good idea for new people.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

23 minutes ago, airdeano said:

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

if stock clocked, then you are stress testing the adaptive voltage mode (not good, will create excessive high temperatures). should be using a staic voltage mode to not over-volt and stress the CPU. you could also use these settings for P95:

p95-1344.png

I'll make sure to SS that. Prime95 murders my Siedon 120V when used with my 4790K. It even has my 4790K drawing more power than my Xeon X5450 did at 4.4GHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

One, it doesn't harm haswell CPUs any more or less than others (assuming you don't have it on adaptive voltage). Two, it is insane overkill for stability testing.

Yea lol no, please don't randomly recommend people delid... Not a good idea for new people.

I was once new, and holy shit was I fearing it for a year already. Now that I got it done I do not have to worry about it anymore. I used the vice at lowes, and did it there. Holy shit was that fun. 

3 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

I was once new, and holy shit was I fearing it for a year already. Now that I got it done I do not have to worry about it anymore. I used the vice at lowes, and did it there. Holy shit was that fun. 

1 thing with deliding, always practice on a CPU that isn't your 4690K, 4770K or 4790K. And yes I deliberately left out the 4670K as they are all utter shit for overclocking.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL