Is there any reason there should be exclusives between VR headsets?

So after Oculus blocking certain games from working on there headsets I was wondering if there is any reason why they should be blocking games. To me as far as I see it its like having a Samsung monitor but it will only work on games made by valve and no one else.

The only thing I can think of that's be different is resolutions and (maybe) viewing angles, and if the program was made with a specific one in mind, a different one would skew it. But then again, if it wasn't exclusive, they could take that into consideration and tweak a different release to match with display specs.

-This space intentionally left blank-

Because it's pretty much exactly like console exclusives, they want to sell their hardware so need exclusive software to make it more compelling.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They are trying to do the same thing that Microsoft and Sony have done with consoles. make exclusive content to drive sales of their product. It is only going to hurt the adoption of VR not help it. Still I will wait a year to two to see if it (VR in it's current form) takes before I spend into it.

Its the same as playing a game on one console versus another. I think they need to standardize a set of specifications and then allow the games to run on hardware that meets those specs instead of locking it just their devices. I can understand why Oculus has tried to lock down their system though from a business perspective.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

For the same reasons where there are exclusive titles on consoles.

They want to force consumers towards their side because of X, Y, and Z games that they might have.

Though, this makes little sense in today's market. And with how young VR still is.

As everyone else said - just like PS vs. Xbox. No real hardware restrictions to explain exclusivity but both have exclusives anyway.

At most, maybe the vive's fancy light boxes make a difference but I don't see how that is a difficult thing to work around.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

You mean other than the usual "reasons?"

No.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

15 minutes ago, epic_minecraftboy_zzz_2004 said:

Yes in my opinion there reallt should be a monopoly on everything and VR is no different.

You meant to say shouldn't right? Multiple VR competing with each other is the opposite...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 minute ago, GeekJump said:

You meant to say shouldn't right? Multiple VR competing with each other is the opposite...

nope I mean there should be a monopoly

52 minutes ago, epic_minecraftboy_zzz_2004 said:

nope I mean there should be a monopoly

Sarcasm....

3 minutes ago, beaker15 said:

Sarcasm....

Nah, a monopoly on VR makes it so a company doesn't have any competitors so they can do whatever they want and people will buy their stuff since they are the only good company!

1 minute ago, epic_minecraftboy_zzz_2004 said:

Nah, a monopoly on VR makes it so a company doesn't have any competitors so they can do whatever they want and people will buy their stuff since they are the only good company!

Lol so much sarcasm or your really just stupid. 

1 minute ago, beaker15 said:

Lol so much sarcasm or your really just stupid. 

Yah, it's either a troll or really stupid but either way needs to shut up and stop posting garbage all over the forums.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, it's either a troll or really stupid but either way needs to shut up and stop posting garbage all over the forums.

This person does this all over the forums?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

neither, meanie poo poo face

1 minute ago, beaker15 said:

This person does this all over the forums?

Yah, posting in a thread about ethernet cables how they are the justice of the forum.

Back on topic: There isn't much of a reason for exclusivity in the VR world, especially this early on, is pretty moronic by developers. It's just starting out and needs to grow a lot before exclusive titles are released.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If for technical reasons then "exclusivity" is kind of a given, so a HTC Vive room scale game wont currently work on a Facebook Rift because it doesn't have hand motion controllers not can it go out to a 3mx3m room its designed currently for sitting or standing. But the Vive can do everything the Rift can, its the same resolution but with slightly wider FOV which makes it less PPD but they are quite similar in actual display quality and technology so there is no reason what works on one doesn't work on the other.

This isn't even the same type of exclusivity for the consoles because the HMD's aren't even systems, they are a monitor and an input device living in the PC ecosystem. What Facebook is currently doing just makes no sense and its backfiring enormously.

My reasoning is because Oculus and its investors has just spent millions in R&D they cant just have survive of hardware sales alone as revenue. The need the revenue from games/software sales too. The only way to do this through having exclusive titles from their own app store. They don't want to be supporting a competitors device through their software sales. TBH I can see Oculus becoming more and more aggressive with their DRM.

Since Vive is getting a lot more publicity and being made to look better than the Rift in most videos (which really, it is better and more advanced / has better controls), so Rift needs to have some exclusives to sell it as they really deserve it after being the early birds to develop VR :) 

The only exclusive Rift games I'm looking forward to is Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Rock Band VR

Unless the game needs something like the light house thing that the vive provides, there should not be exclusives. I mean, c'mon. It's a fucking monitor that sits on your face. OP made a great point about not being able to play a game if you have a Samsung monitor vs a Benq. If it's a hardware limitation, that should be something incorporated into the minimum specifications of your setup, not a downright restriction.

ASU

22 hours ago, beaker15 said:

So after Oculus blocking certain games from working on there headsets I was wondering if there is any reason why they should be blocking games. To me as far as I see it its like having a Samsung monitor but it will only work on games made by valve and no one else.

Money always money. Exclusives exist soley to drive sales of the hardware they are tied to. Developers oblige due to very generous exclusivity deals. 

This problem for me goes deeper. Oculus aren't even willing to collaborate to allow the production of a common API for a HMD at all. So while openVR can use both the HTC Vive and the Facebook Rift Oculus API does not support the Vive and never will. Valve has no issues with them doing so that I can tell but Oculus refuses to even entertain the idea of making a Vive work underneith their API to start to enable cross compatibility. The end result of which is openVR and the Vive are the vastly superior option, Oculus is going everything it can to disadvantage its customers in comparison its locking them in.