What if Steam shut down one day?

Jeff Seid

Title says it all. What would happen to all my games that required DRM/steam? In fact, a lot of games bought physically requires to be activated on steam.... So worst case scenario, steam goes bankrupt in 2020.

Pain, suffering, crying and a bunch of online riots

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

They already crack from games ... someone gonna make a mod that will disable all steam activation process. 

Magical Pineapples

i doubt this will ever happen. but if it does then another company will take over, and GOG alredy has DRM free games. and a lot are the same that are on steam

The world would implode with all of the try-hards having nothing to do but play some minesweeper.

there's no real reason to even have an internet connection to play games. NONE!

can you imagine the daily threats steam and others have to fend off?

If steam ever shut down, I'd f**k steam's employees wives and daughters.... With their consent, of course. If they pull a dick move and not offer a way to obtain the game without a DRM in the worst case scenario.

they would probably have to patch their games so it would work without steam

or riot :D

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

they would probably have to patch their games so it would work without steam

or riot :D

Exactly why a f**king spree on valve's employees wives and daughters with their consent would be the most logical way to get them to f**king listen.

in fact. I've come from the future, a post apocalyptic time where PC gaming has died and faded away. More specifically, I've come from the year 2030, and in the early 2020's, Valve make several bad business moves and goes down under. It's not until the late 2020's where the effects become more pronounced. In so, fans are outraged and goes on a f**king spree on valve's employees wives and daughters with their consent. Honestly, guys, dark times are ahead, and the future isn't a bright one for PC gaming as a whole.

Edited by Jeff Seid
I am from the future

valve said that they already have a contingency in place to ensure continuity of the games in the event they have to shut down.

somebody needs to so some good investigative journalism; get some interviews with valve on this subject and dig deeper to find out what that contingency really is, how it works etc and any possible weaknesses.

it's not something i'm worried about but it's worth looking into.

of course you can easily play your games in offline mode and server connection is not required; but the problem comes when you have to reinstall steam/games on a new computer; that's what the contingency has to cover.

In this world, everything can happen. But I think that the chances of Steam disappearing, and without recourse for its customers, is one of the things that are less likely to happen. I think it's more likely that I would lose my physical collection of games, or that I would run out of space to store them, or that they will become damaged and non-working, than that Steam will cease supplying me with my games. In fact, those aforementioned 3 things have already happened to many, I think even most physical games that I've owned, so I have full certainty that whatever happens, Steam is the safer bet for my money and the posterity of my games.

Eventually, though, I think there will be an open online archive of all games that have been made, just as there are now for old DOS games. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam transitioned into becoming that, sometime far in the future.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

In this world, everything can happen. But I think that the chances of Steam disappearing, and without recourse for its customers, is one of the things that are less likely to happen. I think it's more likely that I would lose my physical collection of games, or that I would run out of space to store them, or that they will become damaged and non-working, than that Steam will cease supplying me with my games. In fact, those aforementioned 3 things have already happened to many, I think even most physical games that I've owned, so I have full certainty that whatever happens, Steam is the safer bet for my money and the posterity of my games.

Eventually, though, I think there will be an open online archive of all games that have been made, just as there are now for old DOS games. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam transitioned into becoming that, sometime far in the future.

I agree brah

They better give us keys that work on Gog.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Sorrow, Pain, depression, dark world, crying, riots ! NA, JK!

if steams gonna off for one day. I'll go outside with my friends and chill.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

19 hours ago, Waqas409 said:

Sorrow, Pain, depression, dark world, crying, riots ! NA, JK!

if steams gonna off for one day. I'll go outside with my friends and chill.

steam will never shut down

they make millions and millions

and if they ever want to shut down steam I don't think it will happen until 20 years from now

maybe in  2040

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

I know this is inviting others to laugh at my naivety, but I'd like to think Valve is forward-thinking enough to have a contingency plan for its users in that situation.

What worries me is that the publishers who own the games may try to step in and do something crazy. Where consumer rights are at issue, I trust Valve a hell of a lot more than I trust Warner Brothers, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Konami, etc.

More than likely the DRM based games will stop working and the non DRM will all just carry on working. In 10 years time you aren't going to care about 99% of your library anyway as it'll all be truly obsolete and just a couple of games will stand the test of time and still be good.

I have the plan all laid out. If steam went offline without any system in place to give users access to all DRM games, then we will all get dildos, condoms, and lotion bottles to go on a f**king spree on valve's employees' wives and daughters (w/ consent). We will pop the cherry in their 18 year old daughters, and ban their wives and daughters vagina from the existence of being tight (w/ consent). We will make that shit stimulate and wobbly. 8====D~~

14 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

More than likely the DRM based games will stop working and the non DRM will all just carry on working. In 10 years time you aren't going to care about 99% of your library anyway as it'll all be truly obsolete and just a couple of games will stand the test of time and still be good.

Steam has no DRM-free games. Steam is DRM. Do you mean games with added third-party DRM, such as Uplay?

The irony is that if Steam were to vanish, Uplay games bought on Steam would continue to work just fine. Those are the only ones I know of that you can completely and legitimately bypass Steam to play right now without any policy changes from Valve.

For one day?

I'd continue playing Overwatch.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

39 minutes ago, typographie said:

Steam has no DRM-free games. Steam is DRM. Do you mean games with added third-party DRM, such as Uplay?

The irony is that if Steam were to vanish, Uplay games bought on Steam would continue to work just fine. Those are the only ones I know of that you can completely and legitimately bypass Steam to play right now without any policy changes from Valve.

No that isn't true. Many games do use Steam DRM but its optional. Some games also have additional DRM over and above Steam DRM but its everything from none to multiple different types. There are games you can download on Steam, copy them out of the directory to where  ever you want and uninstall Steam and they work just fine, they aren't tied to Steam and its DRM at all. Its a real mix but my main issue with it is that Steam doesn't make clear which a game is and it ought to.

I have minimal games on steam so I don't really care and it doesn't really affect me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It would be like ant and dec standing on the wrong side of each other, pure and utter chaos.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000