R9-290X Final Pictures, Looks Unique.

TechFan@ic

I like it but I don't like it as much as the Matrix 7970, Poseidon, or 780 DCUII.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Wow I actually really, really like the aesthetic. Make them not sound like a hair dryer and I will recommend them.

This card looks like a ROG card... :P

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

AMD has not disappointed.

My judgment is still pending so i cannot agree as yet but it looks so promising. Imagine custom air or watercoolers on this thing and the prices are really really good.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Yay, I'm building a machine with this card and now that I have found out how sexy it is I'm going to shove it in a case with no window... (Silverstone SG09)

Looks like I'll be doing some modding...

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

If it really is that price I will consider getting it, after savings of course. If it does outperform the titan or 780 or whatever at that price, it is a no brainer.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

The fact that their dropping prices means they're getting desperate, sure good for you now but if they go belly up, you'll end up with a GPU with not future. Think about it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Nvidia did the exact same thing, re-brands with lower prices.

No they still use GeForece GTX ### not a whole new naming scheme, unless you consider HD #### = R9-###X

Hope you see the difference.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

The design looks pretty nice imo. Just waiting to see how good this reference cooler performs compared to previous reference coolers. :) The results might be around the same imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

That cooler is too flashy and plastic looking. :( waterblocks please.

Good thing i'm watercooling my first build . The stock cooler looks like everything i rather not have.

Looks like it came from 2005.

that was still less then ten years ago so thats a lousy insult, internet stop making me feel old :D

cool referance design

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

that looks really nice, but i cant imagine the cooling to be anything great.

No they still use GeForece GTX ### not a whole new naming scheme, unless you consider HD #### = R9-###X

Hope you see the difference.

I don't know what you're saying here. I haven't done the research, but from what I've heard the GTX 770 is exactly a GTX 680 with higher clock speeds on various things (especially memory) and a new cooler. The R9-280X is exactly an HD 7970 with maybe a slight bump in clock speeds based on the benchmark data that AMD has released. They are exactly the same marketing moves, making the previous generation's top single-GPU card into the new generation's second tier at a reduced price, with the exception that NVidia also put out an "overkill class" card that has some performance above the card that would traditionally be their highest in the generation. It's exactly the same, except for the fact that AMD was running out of numbers and opted to create an entirely new numbering scheme which is probably more descriptive but I don't understand it yet. NVidia will have to do the same thing if it wants to avoid 4 digit numbers in a few generations.

EDIT: Oh yes, this was a topic too. The new AMD shroud looks cooler, but less professional than their previous design; NVidia's shroud looks cool AND professional. Or maybe there's a better term than professional... maybe serious? It's kind of like the gaming cases, some people want something flashy while others prefer a cleaner look; AMD's old design was simple, with the new one being flashy (not over-the-top, but much more than the last generation) while NVidia managed to have flashing lights and glamour windows, while also providing a clean metallic finish that can be recognized without standing out. I'd give NVidia the win when it comes to reference card visuals, but it is subjective.

not a fan of blower style coolers but the way they have done that one looks nice(i like it better that titan/780 one).

i just want benchmarks now

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The fact that their dropping prices means they're getting desperate, sure good for you now but if they go belly up, you'll end up with a GPU with not future. Think about it.

No, it means they're trying to generate market share in a short space of time. GPUs carry a certain amount of brand loyalty, generally speaking unless you have issues with your card you'll buy from the same manufacturer next time. This is what they're trying to set up, especially since the success of Mantle might rely heavily on them being the dominant player across all platforms. They already have a stranglehold on the console market now, but they need to start winning the PC graphics side too to really make this work. 

Such a great show today @GPU14... I can't wait to get my hands on one of the R9-2 series GPU's  AMD is definately stepping it up..   I guess lets sit back and see where it takes us. 

Liking it, I am moving to a smaller case and would "for the meantime" go with these blower coolers before aftermarket ones so save heat output inside the case.

Liking this new MANTEL API calling scheme... I think their huge deal with SOUND is for having an integrated

unified hardware sound setup for their new API system, not new,however fixed hardware easier to implement than varied Sound Hardware yes?

But the post I referred to.

Supposedly....
AMD: R9 290X Will Be "Much Faster Than Titan in Battlefield 4"
Posted 09/25/2013 at 9:05pm | by Jimmy Thang

The red team says that with Mantel, its new flagship GPU will “ridicule” the GeForce Titan With AMD unveiling its new

series of GPUs, many gamers want to know how well it performs, namely against Nvidia’s flagship GeForce GTX Titan graphics card.

We had a chance to sit down with AMD Product Manager Devon Nekechuck to see how AMD’s new top dog R9 290X stacks up against the

green team’s best single-GPU offering. According to Nekechuck, even though the R9 290X uses a 438 square mm die, which is significantly

smaller than the Titan’s 550 sq. mm GK110 offering, it “will definitely compete with the GTX 780 and Titan.” When we asked what this means

in real-world terms, he stated, “with Battlefield 4 running with Mantel (AMD’s new graphics API), the card will be able to ‘ridicule’ the Titan in terms of performance.”

Is the R9 290X the Titan killer? AMD seems to think so.

When we asked him what he meant by “ridicule,” he simply stated that it will run Battlefield 4 “much faster than the Titan.” Again, this is

provided that you run the game using AMD's Mantel API, which is set to launch in December.

While no pricing has been announced for AMD's high-end GPU just yet, It is worth mentioning that Nekechuck did confirm to us that the company does not plan

to release single-GPU cards in the $1,000 price range because AMD thinks that is such a small, niche market. When you consider that

the GeForce Titan runs for one grand, it’s safe to assume that it will be a fair bit cheaper than $1K. Rumors abound the event are that

the R9 290X will retail at around the 780 price point, which currently hovers around $650. May we see Titan+ performance for less than 780 price from AMD? Only time will tell.

Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_r9_290x_will_be_much_faster_titan_battlefield_4

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm waiting for the benchmarks, price and after market coolers. I don't want the sound of a vacuum cleaner coming out of my case.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.