IPMI and Remote PC Management

LinusTech

Someone forgot to censor you, whoops xD

Was some good info on a subject that I'm not overly familiar with.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

HERE'S A FUCKING GOLD STAR. Definitely can't get better than that.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Not a fan of the swearing at the start aye
Reply1  

1SpeedHD 

"Here's you're fucking gold star" ~Linus
Reply1  

rewtuser 

is the thumbnail linus' o face?

tmcclelland47 

That moment when you forget to censor fucking ?

Alexstrazsa 

Gimme that fucking gold star.

Joy Fud 

ee

zMe ul 

when I saw the title I initially though you'd be talking about some other solution than a SuperMicro mobo, I was wrong

Ares Krieger 

I don't know Linus I personally like Luke's ghetto technique the most, and despite inherent flaws jerry rigged solutions are cost effective at least.

SmileDudeOk 

Linus Media Group Is Awesome ?

uziel vasquez 

here's a fucking gold star ??????

a norm skrub 

omy

AMERICAN BIRD 

Woo Linus you actually said f*** savage

qlear CSGO 

Linus holy shit this is the first time I've heard you use any profanity LOL

CobbleWalker 

Freaking savage and only 23 seconds in. Geez, Linus is out to kill today.
Reply3  
yanney 

+CobbleWalker yeah dude. before this video i hadn't hear the F word for a whole 15 seconds. so fucking savage.
Duck 

ok

Sam O' Holics 

Thanks for the tip captain Linus

Khal El 

Linus pls my virgin ears

Christian Wiles 

Either I'm tripping or I heard fucking gold star, either way it made me laugh

PiecesDoesMC 

lol

Joshua J 

24th comment

Show more

Good job for listening to social media, Linus, now everyone's gonna remember this video for that "fucking gold star" line :P 

Where's my fucking gold star?!?!

Waddup..

Current PC SPECS

Spoiler

CPUAMD Ryzen 5 1600  MOBO: MSI B350M Mortar GPU:Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini RAM: Kingston Fury DDR4 2400Mhz Power Supply: FSP Raider 550w 80+ Silver  Storage: 3TB (2 x 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 1TB External HDD) CaseCooler Master.... IDK what model..

If you guys don't want to use specialized hardware, you can set up remote desktop with a gateway. It has much less functionality than IPMI, but it'll do in an emergency. 

Did someone at LTT upload the wrong video to Youtube?

This is the same released on Vessel today, marked with a "7 day exclusive".

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

I am so glad Linus included the bit about IPMI security, I was going to be sad if he skipped it because IPMI is a scary thing these days. Earlier this year hackers were installing bitcoin mining software on publicly accessible IPMI and they're used in botnets also for outbound DDOS attacks. Anybody using an IPMI should NEVER have it publicly accessible (a VPN is extremely easy to setup and if you have a server with IPMI abilities there's no excuse why you don't have a VPN server on the same network), there are a ton of servers out there with IPMI on the motherboard that is no longer able to be updated (i.e. no more updates are written for it) and are vulnerable to known exploits. At the very least change the port your IPMI is listening to because there are bots out there compiling a list of publicly accessible IPMIs every day.

Also, server hardware providers like HP, Dell, and Cisco have their own IPMI-like solutions (ILO, DRAC, and USCM respectively) so people with these kinds of servers should check to see if that option is available (sometimes it requires a license or an add-on card for full functionality but even without them you can power cycle, power on, or power off the server).

-KuJoe

Forgot about PDU's , power strips with remote turn on/off , you can find some cheaply on eBay.

As seen in the video, proper kvm over ip is expensive, at hundred of dollars. If you have lots of computers around, it's often cheaper to spend less than $100 on a light pc ( let's say an am1 board with a 25w tdp cpu with graphics built that you can boot from a usb stick into linux or use a cheap ssd to run windows on it) and configure this pc to be always on and connectable from Internet. Then, use this pc to send wake on lan packets to other PCs or connect to those using RealVNC / TightVNC / whatever flavor of VNC you want or Remote Desktop Connection

I don't normally mention stuff like this, but that f bomb seamed really out of place. I get it if stuff like that makes it on the wan show since that is more casual, and only for the really hardcore fans. But if I wanted to show this at school or to a friend I would feel really awkward. I do understand that you asked some people on Facebook, but this just felt so out of place. I am not offended, but it was just so weird.

It'd be cool a follow-up video to this one for learning how to remotely use a consumer grade computer over the internet on a less laggy experience to forget about programs like Teamviewer.

I mean virtualizing your whole computer and be able to use it over the internet taking advantage of all the raw performance of it from maybe a very limited ultrabook. Kind of what some universities do on Windows Server (ie. mine uses Dell vWorkspace software that sends you to a Windows Server 2012 virtualized desktop with all the software running from the server, but it looks like a layer over what RDP can do), but explained on a non Microsoft IT Technician level ^^

My Rig:

Intel Core i7 6700K

32gb DDR4 RAM

NVidia GTX 980 Ti OC Strix

My channel:

http://Mehproducciones.es

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Fucking gold star

The best fuck up I've seen

IT Student | Gamer | PC Enthusiast | Life Liver

14 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Fucking gold star

it was bound to happen. when you're jacked on red bull/G-fuel/[insert whatever energy drink is popular these days] and working long shifts in front of a desk,you do miss a rough spot or two.

I want a fucking gold star :(

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

download (1).jpg

Edit: I didn't realize there was another meme of this.

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

18 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I am so glad Linus included the bit about IPMI security, I was going to be sad if he skipped it because IPMI is a scary thing these days. Earlier this year hackers were installing bitcoin mining software on publicly accessible IPMI and they're used in botnets also for outbound DDOS attacks. Anybody using an IPMI should NEVER have it publicly accessible (a VPN is extremely easy to setup and if you have a server with IPMI abilities there's no excuse why you don't have a VPN server on the same network), there are a ton of servers out there with IPMI on the motherboard that is no longer able to be updated (i.e. no more updates are written for it) and are vulnerable to known exploits. At the very least change the port your IPMI is listening to because there are bots out there compiling a list of publicly accessible IPMIs every day.

Also, server hardware providers like HP, Dell, and Cisco have their own IPMI-like solutions (ILO, DRAC, and USCM respectively) so people with these kinds of servers should check to see if that option is available (sometimes it requires a license or an add-on card for full functionality but even without them you can power cycle, power on, or power off the server).

Anyone who makes their IPMI/iLO etc publicly available should be shot. At no point ever was this a smart thing to do. As you mentioned VPN is one of many secure ways to get remote access to IPMI without giving the entire world the ability to potentially hijack your servers.

When that tech news article came out about all those open and unsecured IPMI servers my first thought was someone should shut them all down to teach them a lesson. That news article was last year so why on earth is there an issue with them being used for botnets and bitcion mining so long after it.

any body know of where i can get those ipmi modules from the ones from asus he was talking about                              

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA