The death of triple/quad SLI?

MageTank

So by now, I am sure many of you already know about the Pascal GTX 1080. It's been all over the news pretty much everywhere in the tech industry. However, one little detail that is being glossed over by most people, is the new SLI bridges and their "doubled bandwidth". 

sSjlK69.png

However, looking at this bridge, it appears to use both fingers of each card, but has no interconnects for any additional cards. Even the longer versions of this bridge, only have 4 finger connections in total (2 per 1 card). So, does this mean that triple/quad SLI is no longer going to be possible? Or do you think that more bridges will become available as time goes on? 

XbVKy47.png

Some can make the argument that the Pascal cards should be plenty fast enough for most DX11 titles, and that DX12 will not require the bridges for the GPU's to be used, but if that were the case, the same argument could be made for the 2 way bridge in general (unless gaming at an absurdly high resolution). I am interested to see what other people think about this, as it is the only detail about Pascal that is a bit confusing for me.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I think the bridge shown at the conference was designed for the single purpose of looking like the cooler of the card.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

3 way and especially 4 way SLI was dead (or never alive) for most consumers anyways.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

So by now, I am sure many of you already know about the Pascal GTX 1080. It's been all over the news pretty much everywhere in the tech industry. However, one little detail that is being glossed over by most people, is the new SLI bridges and their "doubled bandwidth". 

sSjlK69.png

However, looking at this bridge, it appears to use both fingers of each card, but has no interconnects for any additional cards. Even the longer versions of this bridge, only have 4 finger connections in total (2 per 1 card). So, does this mean that triple/quad SLI is no longer going to be possible? Or do you think that more bridges will become available as time goes on? 

XbVKy47.png

Some can make the argument that the Pascal cards should be plenty fast enough for most DX11 titles, and that DX12 will not require the bridges for the GPU's to be used, but if that were the case, the same argument could be made for the 2 way bridge in general (unless gaming at an absurdly high resolution). I am interested to see what other people think about this, as it is the only detail about Pascal that is a bit confusing for me.

I think manufactures will eventually make 3 and 4 slot SLI bridges. I don't really think anyone will be buying more than two 1080's. One 1080 will be good enough for 4K gaming. (If what Nvidia says about the 1080's performance is true)

Doubeling the bandwith by using both connector per card is an inteligent way to feed the PR guys with nice headlines, but requires next to no engineering or cost.

I assume you can do 3/4 way SLI in the same way as with the old cards, but then your bandwith is no doubled.

But as details like this are not good for PR and the hype train, they just not tell it to you.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil