Nvidia GTX 1080 and 1070 Announced

Just now, rattacko123 said:

it was 2x 8-pin. The 295x2 consumes a lot more than the rated spec for 2x 8-pins

Ah, right - hence why the box said to use 2 separate cables. Though the chips were higher binned IIRC

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

12 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Ah, right - hence why the box said to use 2 separate cables. Though the chips were higher binned IIRC

Can we get a picture ? I've been looking and I can't find any box saying that.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1 minute ago, cesrai said:

Can we get a picture ? I've been looking and I can't find any box saying that.

Ask @Prysin

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Ask @Prysin

@Prysin Can we get a picture ? 

Also what difference does it make ? Personally I think they should've done the same thing as powercolor and just use 4 8 pins ( standards are made for a reason )

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

No Async Compute Engines :P

We might have a situation where the market gets split in half.

quote "New asynchronous compute advances improve efficiency and gaming performance."

Source http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

so i guess they do have some kind of asynchronous compute voodoo magic in their cards.

1 minute ago, drok said:

quote "New asynchronous compute advances improve efficiency and gaming performance."

Source http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

so i guess they do have some kind of asynchronous compute voodoo magic in their cards.

Cool. At least tis a start 

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Im still crying in pain, to know such babies are landing on the 27th of May, and theres no way ill have 700€ ready for one -.-

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Im still crying in pain, to know such babies are landing on the 27th of May, and theres no way ill have 700€ ready for one -.-

Opposite band here: months of saving my usual Strippers and booze budget it's finally gonna pay off, probably getting a 1080 day one or as close to it as I can due to imports.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is like old news.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

I could always sell my phone... ehe. But, i hardly think it would be worth :P

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

I could always sell my phone... ehe. But, i hardly think it would be worth :P

For me it will be quite the jump: I killed my 290x due to a botched attempt to install a Kraken g10 on it (I think, can't confirm since it had been having issues with the fans for a while and routinely ran at 85 to 89c) so right now I have been temporarily running off of a 950. So I'm probably getting the 1080 or AMDs offering if it turns out to be a better deal, handing down the 950 to my sister's rig and using her current 750 for something else or just as a back up card.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

Gosh, must be a pain using a 950, when your trying to play games at resolutions above 1080p... at medium settings.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Gosh, must be a pain using a 950, when your trying to play games at resolutions above 1080p... at medium settings.

I'm doing exactly 1080p and every game works ok except Witcher 3. Both high textures at 900p and medium textures and 1080p with most other stuff on medium works but can't decide which looks better, I'd normally hate the lower resolution more but Witcher 3 has a high enough poly count that it really looks similar enough.

Though with one of these cards I'm probably dropping dime on a 4k screen since it seems like finally a single card on a sensible budget will be able to handle it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

VRWorks audio won't go anywhere.

AMD released trueaudio with i think the 3XX series, and i haven't seen it implemented in a single game...

I can't even remember a demo, so i think it's safe to say that's tech nobody wants or needs so it won't be used at all.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Cool and all, but why the $50 price increase? Perhaps they will drop them a bit when AMD launches their cards. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

inb4 8gb = 4gb DDR5x and 4gb running much slower.

In all seriousness, AMD better bring some serious shit to the table at Computex.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

56 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

VRWorks audio won't go anywhere.

AMD released trueaudio with i think the 3XX series, and i haven't seen it implemented in a single game...

I can't even remember a demo, so i think it's safe to say that's tech nobody wants or needs so it won't be used at all.

It actually launched with the 290 cards. A lot of their event was demoing TrueAudio and the game Lichdom Battlemage at the time. 

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

In all seriousness, AMD better bring some serious shit to the table at Computex.

They really do. I already sold off one of my GTX 980Ti's and my friend is buying the second once I upgrade. I really want to give my money to AMD, but they need to deliver. NVIDIA beat them to the punch; Again. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Don't count on it. Polaris will probably be pretty awesome, but it might just be awesome mid-range cards. We will probably have to wait until the end of the year before we get high end AMD cards.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Don't count on it. Polaris will probably be pretty awesome, but it might just be awesome mid-range cards. We will probably have to wait until the end of the year before we get high end AMD cards.

Ugh, AMD being special-ed as usual.

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Hey come on be fair now, keep the same ratio: 7gb full speed + 1gb nerfed speed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Ugh, AMD being special-ed as usual.

The problem for me is they already Demo'd some of their cards. Yet They allowed NVIDIA to not only show off some tech as well, but beat them to a lunch date along with actual performance numbers.

All we know about Polaris is that it's up to 2.5x the performance per watt compared to their current tech. That's it.

NVIDIA showed off demos on actual cards, performance number for VR and games, prices and a launch date. One card even featuring GDDR5X. Which everyone thought wouldn't be ready for mass production until late in the year. 
Except the 1080 is launching first, and features it.

AMD waited too long, kept people in the dark too long, and might have completely lost the mid-high end now. 
Anyone with a GTX 970 or 980 is going to get a great card if they upgrade now.
While AMD are still waiting until Computex and E3 to even talk about their products.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

The problem for me is they already Demo'd some of their cards. Yet They allowed NVIDIA to not only show off some tech as well, but beat them to a lunch date along with actual performance numbers.

All we know about Polaris is that it's up to 2.5x the performance per watt compared to their current tech. That's it.

NVIDIA showed off demos on actual cards, performance number for VR and games, prices and a launch date. One card even featuring GDDR5X. Which everyone thought wouldn't be ready for mass production until late in the year. 
Except the 1080 is launching first, and features it.

AMD waited too long, kept people in the dark too long, and might have completely lost the mid-high end now. 
Anyone with a GTX 970 or 980 is going to get a great card if they upgrade now.
While AMD are still waiting until Computex and E3 to even talk about their products.

I'm going to be waiting. Partially because I want to see what AMD does, and partially because I learned from my 970 to wait several months before buying any new Nvidia products.

Never. Again.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hey come on be fair now, keep the same ratio: 7gb full speed + 1gb nerfed speed.

Perhaps.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm going to be waiting. Partially because I want to see what AMD does, and partially because I learned from my 970 to wait several months before buying any new Nvidia products.

I'll be doing the same, a single GTX 980Ti is still a great card, and I really hope AMD brings something great. I'm just worried that they're not going to gain back any real marketshare. 

Those two charts contradict themselves. The 'New King' and '2x the Performance and 3x the Efficiency' ones. The first one has like 1.2x the performance of the Titan X and the second has 2x.

12 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Those two charts contradict themselves. The 'New King' and '2x the Performance and 3x the Efficiency' ones. The first one has like 1.2x the performance of the Titan X and the second has 2x.

1.2 x for current game performance, and 2x for VR performance in one of their demos.