RIP IE–Google Chrome beats Internet Explorer in market share everywhere in the world

Djole123

So, Google Chrome finally punched Internet Explorer in the face, because it beat it in every country in the world–no exclusions.

IEvsChrome.jpg

As of May 2016, by NetApplication, Google Chrome has 41.66% and IE has 41.35% of market share, and although StatCounter said this way back in 2012, Microsoft denied this information because they were "doing it in favor of Chrome"

But, now that it's official by both of the companies, I guess IE is having a slow but painful death.

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/google-chrome-sneaks-past-internet-explorer-to-become-top-browser/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Wonder if edge takes over after win 10 becomes more widespread

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

5 minutes ago, Ronda said:

All hail the blooming, benevolent botnet!

I am not sure whether to rate this [Informative] or [Funny]

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

I am not sure whether to rate this [Informative] or [Funny]

[Agree] i guess...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

Wonder if edge takes over after win 10 becomes more widespread

Highly doubt that, people will still be replacing Edge for Chrome like they're replacing IE today.

Having your browser bundled with crappy software and advertised on the most visited webpage pays dividends.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Google stopped supporting youtube and Gmail on older windows phones and perhaps still not available on win 10 (not sure why but I heard something because of disagreement with Microsoft), not sure how legal or what not it would be, but imagine if Microsoft banned chrome from windows? 

10 minutes ago, bigneo said:

Google stopped supporting youtube and Gmail on older windows phones and perhaps still not available on win 10 (not sure why but I heard something because of disagreement with Microsoft), not sure how legal or what not it would be, but imagine if Microsoft banned chrome from windows? 

It all started when Microsoft released a YouTube app that blocked ads on YouTube and allowed users to download videos. Google blocked the app, Microsoft updated the app so that ads would show and videos couldn't be downloaded, but the app got blocked again. Now Google are saying they want Microsoft to upgrade their browser before being allowed a YouTube app.

I don't really get either side. I don't understand why Google wants Microsoft to upgrade their browser before they can make a YouTube app, and I don't understand why Microsoft so stubbornly refuse to support web standards like VP8 and VP9 (Microsoft pushed for the non-free video codecs to become the standard instead. In the end both the free and non-free codecs got accepted as web standards).

25 minutes ago, bigneo said:

That would make Firefox' market share skyrocket. IE would still be low.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

That would make Firefox' market share skyrocket. IE would still be low.

I was thinking the same actually, but what would interest me most is the drama.

5 minutes ago, bigneo said:

I was thinking the same actually, but what would interest me most is the drama.

fileassociate1.png

=

0.jpg

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

should probably note that at this point probably all but a few of those IE users are either grandma that doesnt know better "what is this edge you talk about billie? wont it fall off the table then?" and the buisiness world, where A LOT of applications "depend" on IE (in fact they dont, IT companies are just too lazy to spend 5 minutes of googling to get it to work on chrome or firefox.)

44 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

--

thats what *we* know, which is probably not even half of what goes on behind the scenes.

this is probably the most complicated kind of mess we've encountered in history, because for both companies its in their benefit to cooperate, and to not cooperate. if windows phones cant do youtube then everyone who wants youtube will most likely get an android phone over a windows phone (i consider iPhones seperate here, not gonna go into it) but if windows phones cant do youtube, that means people who want a windows phone wont use youtube.

both ways, both companies lose.

Yet Sky Go still doesn't support anything besides Internet Explorer. Ugh, I have having to use that for a single service. Not even MS Edge is supported.

TXgmRQU.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It all started when Microsoft released a YouTube app that blocked ads on YouTube and allowed users to download videos. Google blocked the app, Microsoft updated the app so that ads would show and videos couldn't be downloaded, but the app got blocked again. Now Google are saying they want Microsoft to upgrade their browser before being allowed a YouTube app.

I don't really get either side. I don't understand why Google wants Microsoft to upgrade their browser before they can make a YouTube app, and I don't understand why Microsoft so stubbornly refuse to support web standards like VP8 and VP9 (Microsoft pushed for the non-free video codecs to become the standard instead. In the end both the free and non-free codecs got accepted as web standards).

YouTube works great (mobile and desktop pages) under Windows 10 Mobile with Edge web browser. Edge supports standard free codecs now.

4 hours ago, bigneo said:

The website works great under Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile with Edge. Under the old CEOs of both companies, Microsoft and Google where always fighting, relationship was quiet bad between the 2 companies. For some reason they hated each other. With the new CEOs of both companies, there is this big turn around, easing tension and favoring collaborative work. It is work that both companies needs to work at to rebuild a good relationship. Maybe in the future, Google will be willing to make official apps on Windows 10 as Universal Apps, and that means that Windows 10 Mobile will have them.

In the mean time, you can use Edge web browser to use YouTube both desktop and mobile site (I use the desktop site because it is full featured, just videos don't auto-play, but I think it is Edge that made this on purpose), and you can use Outlook Mail on Windows 10 Mobile to connect via POP3 or IMAP to your Gmail account.

To be fair the reason IE gained so much adoption was because it was preinstalled. Now Chrome is preinstalled on a lot of machines and even when you try to update flash they try to sneak in a download of Chrome. They are not using much of a different strategy. 

Chrome "beat" IE, not "beated" it.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

14 minutes ago, Inkz said:

To be fair the reason IE gained so much adoption was because it was preinstalled. Now Chrome is preinstalled on a lot of machines and even when you try to update flash they try to sneak in a download of Chrome. They are not using much of a different strategy. 

Yup. It also shows, after all that kicking and screaming about "Windows 10 spying", which is really just telemetry data (beside using Microsoft actual services integrated such as Cortana/Bing), shows much people really care about their privacy by using a web browser that has the whole purpose of identifying you, and knowing everything about it, and seek your real information to tie it all together, and not opting for say: Firefox which is donation supported.

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

should probably note that at this point probably all but a few of those IE users are either grandma that doesnt know better "what is this edge you talk about billie? wont it fall off the table then?" and the buisiness world, where A LOT of applications "depend" on IE (in fact they dont, IT companies are just too lazy to spend 5 minutes of googling to get it to work on chrome or firefox.)

My Grandmother used IE under Windows XP with a Celeron M380+512MB RAM. Now she uses it under Windows 7 with a 45nm dual core Pentium@2GHz+4GB RAM and so far has had no complaints, and doesn't see a need to replace it (she has IE 11, my desktop+laptop have IE 8 because Windows Updates have broken Windows too many times on them).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Yet Sky Go still doesn't support anything besides Internet Explorer. Ugh, I have having to use that for a single service. Not even MS Edge is supported.

chances are if you trick the website into thinking you're running IE it works just fine.

I'm not sure how to take this.Is it because people have wisened up or because Edge has replaced IE?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

26 minutes ago, Carclis said:

I'm not sure how to take this.Is it because people have wisened up or because Edge has replaced IE?

Because IE sux

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I rather liked Edge, but in a usual MS fashion, they fucked up by not (and STILL not) having extensions at launch.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube