Shelf life of smartphone batteries?

Hi all! Kind of an odd question. I own a Nexus 5X. Upon hearing new Nexus devices with HTC I've started thinking if I should buy a replacement battery now in case they won't be on sale (or be expensive) in the future once my N5X battery starts degrading.

What I'm asking is if these batteries have a "shelf-life". Will they also degrade over time if I simply leave one in a zip lock bag at room temperature? If so, how long? I plan to use the N5X for a plenty long time (My previous phone, S3 Mini, twas a shit phone btw, lasted 3 years, I'm expecting longer with the N5X)

Any ideas?

The shelf-life of batteries is generally really good. Much, much longer than the active life of a phone. If possible, then you could change the battery once a year to keep it nice and fresh.

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

The shelf-life of batteries is generally really good. Much, much longer than the active life of a phone. If possible, then you could change the battery once a year to keep it nice and fresh.

I'd say more like once every season.

Sig under construction.

Depends on the temperature. At 20C they will keep charge for a couple of years, then if you recharge them again couple more years and keep going like that. 

If they go completely flat they're gone though. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Its also a good idea to train your battery... means always wait until its on about 15% and charge it up to 100% without unpluging it while its loading :)

Works perfect for me... Got a Sony Xperia S since release.

Workstation: I7 4790K| Noctua NH-D15| Gigabyte gtx 660 OC| 16Gb Ram 1600Mhz| 2x FullHD 16:9 Monitors

Gaming rig:  FX6100 @ 4.5GHz| Club 3D radeon HD 7870XT Joker| 8Gb Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz| MSI GAMING 970| 1680x1050 Monitor

Notebook:    Custom MSI GE60| I7 4710HQ| Nvidia Geforce gtx 860

From what i know, li ion battery degradation occurs through the deformation of the crystal structure of the cathode due to multiple charge discharge cycles.  There are other factors but that one is the fastest.

If you arent using it, most likely it wont degrade significantly.  Whether it will hold its charge, i dont know.

9 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Hi all! Kind of an odd question. I own a Nexus 5X. Upon hearing new Nexus devices with HTC I've started thinking if I should buy a replacement battery now in case they won't be on sale (or be expensive) in the future once my N5X battery starts degrading.

What I'm asking is if these batteries have a "shelf-life". Will they also degrade over time if I simply leave one in a zip lock bag at room temperature? If so, how long? I plan to use the N5X for a plenty long time (My previous phone, S3 Mini, twas a shit phone btw, lasted 3 years, I'm expecting longer with the N5X)

Any ideas?

I was under the impression Nexus phones had a non-removable battery? Or am I wrong? I know for a fact that the Nexus 4 and 5 had a non-removable battery. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks for all the replies!

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I was under the impression Nexus phones had a non-removable battery? Or am I wrong? I know for a fact that the Nexus 4 and 5 had a non-removable battery. 

Not in the normal sense. All phones have "removable" battery. Just requires user to tear down half of the phone to replace it.