Intel wants USB-C to replace the headphone jack

41 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Most would probably be 2-port solutions, and in the worst case, a USB-C splitter won't be expensive.

I share @djdwosk97's opinion. It isn't about the cost of a splitter, it's about dealing with a splitter in the first place. It obviously begins to ruin the point of having a thin/light/portable device when you have to carry around adapters for it (something I have learned first hand with my XPS13, even if those are only for rare use of wired ethernet.) 

But yea, if this is what it takes to get a two usb port solution, I am actually all for it (I've been wanting that for literally years.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

""""PLEASE DON"T MIND MY LANGUAGE"""

Don't get that mother****ing speakers use analog at the end of the day. Leave the F***ing dac in the device. Don't have to ditch the whole F***ing thing for type c. Earphone users will be f***ed.

I don't get the "it's digital" arguement. Sound by nature is analog so at some point it has to be converted from digital to analog so why not do it in the phone.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that's not true at all. No high end home theater/stereo system uses analog audio for a reason. On a mobile device it's generally not as big a deal due to the quality of the headphones generally being used and the fact that interference isn't as big of a concern (although it still needs to be accommodated for). 

Not to mention a USB-C replacement would be able to handle future functionality. Plus I really want the Bluetooth standard to be pushed forward as it still not where it should be.

Source? As far as I'm aware, by their very nature, speakers are Analog. The Receiver/Mixer/Amp, etc, might all be Digital, but in that box, or right before, it, there's still going to be a DAC, which outputs to the speakers themselves - unless the speakers also incorporate a DAC individually.

2 hours ago, Technic77 said:

Except the fact that professional recording studios use analog TRS 1/4" and XLR for most of their connections. You won't find a studio without analog audio somewhere in the chain. There's a reason for that.

Indeed. Recording Studios, especially ones that deal with state of the art technology, can afford to put whatever standard they deem best into the system, and yet, they still choose TRS 1/4" and XLR for at least some of the components.

2 hours ago, SirRoderick said:

So is the DAC in the headphones in this plan? Because that would mean a whole new factor to consider with buying headphones. 

That seems terrible. A pair of otherwise awesome sounding Headphones might be crippled because of a shitty (or simply subpar) integrated DAC. Headphones are already difficult enough to review and shop for.

5 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

I don't get the "it's digital" arguement. Sound by nature is analog so at some point it has to be converted from digital to analog so why not do it in the phone.

I agree.

Now if USB-C can output an analog signal, and then a simple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter? Maybe - that might work for a few phones that specialize in "thinness". But as a general standard? I don't see the benefit of getting rid of 3.5mm as a whole.

Those of us in the "Prosumer" segment, with $50-100 IEMs/Earbuds, and $200-300 Headphones are going to hate it if USB-C becomes the audio jack standard.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

ahahah. nope. wait, let find a gif for that

raw

now, let me shop for TRRS and TRS connectors while i still can cause idiotJoe will eat this BS no questions asked

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

that' BS

to implement an external DAC you will need to power it, where fom? the the phone's battery of course - and you're back where you started

there's nothing wrong with the headphone jack

if they want to implement an alternative (not replacement) via the USB type C, that's OK

Not my words: Taken straight from the article:

With the digital connection available via USB-C, headphone designers can integrate the digital-to-analog converter and amplifier right into their headphones, ensuring consistent quality across devices. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I hope this isn't to make device more and more thinner, I don't want to end up having a phone that is "Thinner than paper"

It will offload some cost from the phone to the headset. So i can see why they like to get rid of it.

Also music is an analoge signal, there is no option to go fully digital like VGA to DP. PWM isn't really a digital (data) signal.

Also the USB type C port is already a nigthmare to implement on the HW and SW side due to all the optional modes. As the user can't tell by looking at the plug what mods are implemented / supported, the assumtion "when the connector fits, it works" is no longer valid.

This will be a pain in the neck down the road.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that's not true at all. No high end home theater/stereo system uses analog audio for a reason. On a mobile device it's generally not as big a deal due to the quality of the headphones generally being used and the fact that interference isn't as big of a concern (although it still needs to be accommodated for). 

Not to mention a USB-C replacement would be able to handle future functionality. Plus I really want the Bluetooth standard to be pushed forward as it still not where it should be.

Well, the only thing I can say is that they better put two USB-C ports on the device, because I like to charge my phone while I'm using the headphone jack, like in my car or when I'm just laying in bed. I do not want wireless headphones for the simple reason is that it's another thing I have to charge, and I forget to do things a lot. I have trouble remembering to grab my headphones, much less charge them. Now if we can push battery technology the point where I'd only have to charge them once a year, then maybe.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

58 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

It will offload some cost from the phone to the headset. So i can see why they like to get rid of it.

Also music is an analoge signal, there is no option to go fully digital like VGA to DP. PWM isn't really a digital (data) signal.

Also the USB type C port is already a nigthmare to implement on the HW and SW side due to all the optional modes. As the user can't tell by looking at the plug what mods are implemented / supported, the assumtion "when the connector fits, it works" is no longer valid.

This will be a pain in the neck down the road.

Solution: make them all TB3-compliant and call it a day.

54 minutes ago, 420istoday said:

Well, the only thing I can say is that they better put two USB-C ports on the device, because I like to charge my phone while I'm using the headphone jack, like in my car or when I'm just laying in bed. I do not want wireless headphones for the simple reason is that it's another thing I have to charge, and I forget to do things a lot. I have trouble remembering to grab my headphones, much less charge them. Now if we can push battery technology the point where I'd only have to charge them once a year, then maybe.

You people seem to think batteries can magically get 5x better. That's not even theoretically possible with any material. You can only optimize 2 of the the following three in a given form factor.

fast charging

high capacity

high endurance (many recharges while losing minimal capacity per power cycle).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Solution: make them all TB3-compliant and call it a day.

... And call it an empty battery and use a quite expencive transeceiver in every single product.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

... And call it an empty battery and use a quite expencive transeceiver in every single product.

Thunderbolt in and of itself is not expensive. It's only expensive because it's rare.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Possible impacts from going digital:

1. major music companies can mandate DRM (like HDCP) to try and close the "analog hole" they've been crying over, and make every pay for it never mind it'll be broken from day 0 and ineffective. There might be enough resistance from legacy devices they might only limit this to future HD audio standards (beyond CD quality).
  2. more features on the headphone/headset, especially that need power e.g. active noise cancelling, more inline controls, display - but obviously this would consume power too
  3. possibility of higher quality external DAC

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

You people seem to think batteries can magically get 5x better. That's not even theoretically possible with any material. You can only optimize 2 of the the following three in a given form factor.

fast charging

high capacity

high endurance (many recharges while losing minimal capacity per power cycle).

No argument, it just supports that wireless headphones are a dumb idea especially earbuds.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Thunderbolt in and of itself is not expensive. It's only expensive because it's rare.

True, high volume production should drive the cost down.

But as beeing a very high speed interface, it consumes a lot of power, and even the post modern SoCs in phone can't make use of the high bandwith. Even the 10 GBit/s of USB 3.1 are the upper limit. At least until they get powerful enougth to replace a desktop when you add a big screen and some input. And no the windows continium is not enougth as it lacks SW support because they miss X86 instructions.

36 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Source? As far as I'm aware, by their very nature, speakers are Analog. The Receiver/Mixer/Amp, etc, might all be Digital, but in that box, or right before, it, there's still going to be a DAC, which outputs to the speakers themselves - unless the speakers also incorporate a DAC individually.

Indeed. Recording Studios, especially ones that deal with state of the art technology, can afford to put whatever standard they deem best into the system, and yet, they still choose TRS 1/4" and XLR for at least some of the components.

That seems terrible. A pair of otherwise awesome sounding Headphones might be crippled because of a shitty (or simply subpar) integrated DAC. Headphones are already difficult enough to review and shop for.

I agree.

I should have been more clear. Analog of course needs to exist at some point, but I meant that the signal is kept digital until you get to the point where you can get high end professional grade hardware. i.e. the conversion usually happens within the processor before an analog signal is sent out to the amps/speakers. The reason being that it's practical to sell high end processors that don't have as much interference, but having different tiers of Playstation 4's (bluray players, etc...) is ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, 420istoday said:

Yeah, I would hope two ports become standard, although, I get the feeling that won't be the case on all devices unfortunately.

I don't really have that issue, I get about half a week out of my bluetooth IEMs (and there are better alternatives that I could probably get a week out of), and when it's time to charge them my phone warns me (Android/iOS shows battery level of attached devices). Unfortunately, that's physically not possible (not until there is a MAJOR change in battery technology anyway).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

True, high volume production should drive the cost down.

But as beeing a very high speed interface, it consumes a lot of power, and even the post modern SoCs in phone can't make use of the high bandwith. Even the 10 GBit/s of USB 3.1 are the upper limit. At least until they get powerful enougth to replace a desktop when you add a big screen and some input. And no the windows continium is not enougth as it lacks SW support because they miss X86 instructions.

It's only high-speed in certain modes. It's certainly not guzzling 40Gbps worth of electricity when only using the 10Gbps speed of standard USB 3.1.

50 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree.

Now if USB-C can output an analog signal, and then a simple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter? Maybe - that might work for a few phones that specialize in "thinness". But as a general standard? I don't see the benefit of getting rid of 3.5mm as a whole.

If that happened then the traces for analog would etheir need to be shielded from interference or have every other trace have nothing going through them( power or data) which makes a splitter useless. And if they were shielded the connector would be a lot bigger defeating the purpose of getting rid of the 3.5mm jack because of size

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

18 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

If that happened then the traces for analog would etheir need to be shielded from interference or have every other trace have nothing going through them( power or data) which makes a splitter useless. And if they were shielded the connector would be a lot bigger defeating the purpose of getting rid of the 3.5mm jack because of size

Honestly, that just gives me more reason to oppose USB-C becoming the Audio standard.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Honestly, that just gives me more reason to oppose USB-C becoming the Audio standard.

That's what i'm saying. I can't beleive that this didn't go through the minds of someone at least inteligent enough to see all of the issues together and little benifits. I just wish they would listen to linus and make the phone a little think and add batter and then you don't have to worry about the 3.5mm jack. and isn't there a small audio jack then the 3.5mm. Can't they just use that?

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What do you mean? The receiver acts a a giant DAC, sending analog signals to the speakers. Normally the DAC is built into the computer or inside the phone, the only reason it isn't on a theater is because you have so much space and the receiver's whole purpose is to act as a switch and splitter (part of that includes being a DAC).

What do you want from bluetooth that isn't already there? I'm genuinely curious what it's lacking since I don't use it often.

USB-C can handle future functionality, but why remove the 3.5mm jack while we're at it. Yea it takes up space, but that space is completely worth it for the functionality it provides. Otherwise we'd use the space for another usb-c jack to charge and play music at the same time OR we'd need to have adapters and splitters which is probably even worse.

Not this again. I don't want to have to buy a mobile headphone with a built-in DAC and amp. Or worse, an external DAC and amp to run mobile headphones.

Death to the 3.5mm jack. I hope apple axes it in the iPhone 7 to speed up this process. 

I'd rather for Intel to put their priorities into making a smaller Ethernet connector, while still using the same old cables so you can make patch cables with them with new tools, instead of going after the audio jack.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro