HTC VIVE BURNS YOUR PC?!?!

Hi guys,

My sister is a game developer for HTC Vive, and says that they have experienced two systems

(Edit: Is developing some artistic game, for HTC Vive platform, and going to upload it on steam)

1 laptop with some i7 processor and 960m graphics card in it

1 desktop with TITAN x gpu and some i7 cpu in it.

Both experienced MAJOR problems resulting in burnt motherboard and possibly GPU?

How the hell is this even possible? - there are things called drivers?

Are they full retard when testing this, and ruining their systems, or is there really something to this?

NOTE: VIVE DEVELOPER KIT - NOT Consumer version. !!!!!  --- IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING , CONTRIBUTE, IF NOT, PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST AND MOVE ALONG :-)

UPDATE!!!!

Okay I just wrote to her regarding the USB, and got a clarification:

Here's what I know after I clarified.

Laptop: Vision Laptop, 960m. Her groupmates have likely overclocked it (more than it could take?) to handle VR gear.

It died, and was sent to repair.

Its gpu & motherboard were replaced and it came back. Her USB ports weren't working though, and she has now sent it back to repair to fix that as well.

Desktop:

Vison pre-built titan X pc, with a motherboard model Asus Z170

They plugged in the VIVE gear, (its own power supply already attached) or else nothing happens only with PC usb.

After they plugged in the vive gear, it said something like over current or overload on USB.

The PC shut down and wouldn't start, even if they unplugged the vive.

Some red lights (LED's) would show on the motherboard but it would refuse to post.

-Was sent to repair. (Don't know what was changed, but it works now.)..

So we DON'T know if the GPU (titan x) on the desktop was damaged. Most likely not.

But the overclocking might explain why her laptop gpu was replaced?

If USB 3.0 can supply more current than USB 2.0, this might explain some of the damage?

They have plugged it into any usb port on the computers to try  to make them work, unknowingly that there is a difference between usb port types.

Edited by Edgar R. Zakarian
New information and clarification on the situation.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

3 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Are they full retard when testing this

probably yea

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

CX Blows up PC's?

NVIDIA Drivers Melt PC Parts!

Click now to learn more

Should link it.

Suppose someone had their fanprofile on low causing the system to overheat? Since you have the vive on obvious you can't check your temps?

Just now, SparkyRain said:

Suppose someone had their fanprofile on low causing the system to overheat? Since you have the vive on obvious you can't check your temps?

Fanprofiles haven't been touched as far as I know.

Nothing has been overclocked or tampered with. Just plug it in, play for a while, then BOOM

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

1 minute ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Nothing has been overclocked or tampered with. Just plug it in, play for a while, then BOOM

Faulty psu? Doubt a pheripheral can do this. If even boards have shortcut protection.

probably using crap psu lol

laptop can have crap charger too :P

the vive should have an external power brick so it shouldnt happen if im not mistaken

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Faulty psu? Doubt a pheripheral can do this. If even boards have shortcut protection.

I know that USB ports can burn, if you attach something that eats more than 5v 0.5A. or something like that. But never heard of a whole motherboard or GPU burning.

Drivers limit usage to 100% so this never happens.

pics for proof?

i highly doubt anything is burnt and you're just doing this for clickbait

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

pics for proof?

Don't have any pics or proof. Clickbait??
Just saying what my sister is saying. I told her that GPU drivers should prevent that from EVER happening.
So I'm asking here, where people actually MIGHT have played with VIVE and have experience.

She used it on into her laptop, somehow burned.

used it on Titan x school pc, burned...
That's her experience. She says it's probably because it's a developer kit, which is a prototype or something. (Not safe? )

So if many people were experiencing the same, or any developers were experiencing the same. This is the place to ask, no? - Please don't judge like that -_-

17 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

I know that USB ports can burn, if you attach something that eats more than 5v 0.5A. or something like that. But never heard of a whole motherboard or GPU burning.

Drivers limit usage to 100% so this never happens.

Was austin evans involved? Otherwise I don't know then. Even if the port shorts out the board should shutdown to prevent further damage.

Was austin evans involved? Otherwise I don't know then. Even if the port shorts out the board should shutdown to prevent further damage.

HAHAHAHAH!!!!!! LOL man xD  xD
My sister might be worse than Austin.

I've challenged her to bring that gear over in the summer, and I will try it on my PC.
Only this time, I will attach cables etc. So she can't fuck up anything. xD LOL!

hmm.. Yeah She DID say the PC shut down.
It just doesn't ever start again lol. - Horror story.

9 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Don't have any pics or proof. Clickbait??
Just saying what my sister is saying. I told her that GPU drivers should prevent that from EVER happening.
So I'm asking here, where people actually MIGHT have played with VIVE and have experience.

She used it on into her laptop, somehow burned.

used it on Titan x school pc, burned...
That's her experience. She says it's probably because it's a developer kit, which is a prototype or something. (Not safe? )

So if many people were experiencing the same, or any developers were experiencing the same. This is the place to ask, no? - Please don't judge like that -_-

does your sister know anything about tech??

did she take apart the laptop to see if it was burned or is she saying "it was burned" when it just doesnt turn on

because there are MANY reasons other than being burnt that something wont turn on

did she take apart the school PC to check?

was there a fire and smoke?

did she use a fire extinguisher?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The GPU driver would only limit power to prevent the GPU from cooking, it wont stop possible frying of the power delivery (including via mobo) if there is some weakness there. Having said that, I don't see VR itself as being more punishing that other high intensity loads.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

does your sister know anything about tech??

did she take apart the laptop to see if it was burned or is she saying "it was burned" when it just doesnt turn on

because there are MANY reasons other than being burnt that something wont turn on

did she take apart the school PC to check?

was there a fire and smoke?

did she use a fire extinguisher?

It wouldn't turn on.

She sent it into a warranty repair thingy, and they said they had changed the motherboard and GPU.
They for some reason weren't working.

No, of course she didn't take apart the school's pc to check. Just said it reacted much the same way. Turned off, wouldn't turn on. LOL man.

2 hours ago, porina said:

The GPU driver would only limit power to prevent the GPU from cooking, it wont stop possible frying of the power delivery (including via mobo) if there is some weakness there. Having said that, I don't see VR itself as being more punishing that other high intensity loads.

THANK YOU! Finally some sense.

Cause as mentioned above, VR gear DO have their OWN power supply? So shouldn't be demanding on the pc in terms of powering.

And yes. GPU should only be limited to its own 100%. And even failsafe / turn off if too hot?
I've experienced that before personally (Clogged heatsink&fan due to 6 years of no "un-dusting")

It wouldn't turn on.

She sent it into a warranty repair thingy, and they said they had changed the motherboard and GPU.
They for some reason weren't working.

No, of course she didn't take apart the school's pc to check. Just said it reacted much the same way. Turned off, wouldn't turn on. LOL man.

well then good job at lying, because the vive did not burn any PC

it was most likely the PC that overheated itself without sufficient cooling, especially the laptop

nice clickbait 8/8

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Are they full retard when testing this, and ruining their systems

That's what I'd be inclined to think.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 hours ago, SparkyRain said:

Even if you do that, no system should kill itself - it should thermal throttle to run as best it can within the limitations of the cooling it has at any given time.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

pics for proof?

Agreed, this seems like an attention seeking post.... moving along now..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

2 hours ago, Fluffinator said:

Agreed, this seems like an attention seeking post.... moving along now..

2 hours ago, GoZone said:

That clickbait though.

Oh sc¤#w you guys. 
If I wanted attention I'd go hang out somewhere else than a TECH forums. Seriously wtf.
It's a REAL problem, which I don't think makes sense, therefore am asking here, to see if there is something to it.

Which seems there is NOT. - Sister must've done something wrong.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

well then good job at lying, because the vive did not burn any PC

it was most likely the PC that overheated itself without sufficient cooling, especially the laptop

nice clickbait 8/8

I'm just telling you what she told me.

It didn't make any sense to me, so I asked on this tech forum.
If the PC overheated itself, it would turn itself off, and be able to turn back on when it cools down.

Worst case, you pull out and reseat the battery on a laptop, and it's good to go again.

DONE that myself. And I'm telling you what she told me. Sent it to repairs, they changed the motherboard.

-Regarding the desktop, she said same thing happend. Just straight up "died".

I'm thinking maybe this Development VIVE gear she has, has a defect which is the cause?

5 hours ago, Aytex said:

CX Blows up PC's?

NVIDIA Drivers Melt PC Parts!

Click now to learn more

haha you troll.