is it bad to load 64 bit windows onto a 32 bit system

Legolessed

im going to be using windows on both a 32 and 64 bit system but i only want to have to buy it once. can i buy 64 bit?

I don't think you can use x64 with an x32 system. But you can use an x32 Windows with an x64 system.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

It depends on your CPU.  A non 64 bit CPU cannot handle a 64 bit OS.  However I think every CPU made in the last 15 years is 64 bit.

Just now, GR1MES said:

Buy 32-bit copy of Windows.

but 32 bit limits the computer

Just now, Legolessed said:

But a 64-bit copy I'm fairly certain will refuse to boot on a 32-bit system.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Well there is no sense in using an incompatible OS with an incompatible CPU.

What CPU do you have that requires 32 bit OS?  A Pentium III ?

12 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

im going to be using windows on both a 32 and 64 bit system but i only want to have to buy it once. can i buy 64 bit?

First of all, if you can install 64-bit Windows on a system, it's not a 32-bit system. Actual 32-bit CPUs cannot run 64-bit code, you'll get an error message. It seems very unlikely you're still using 32-bit hardware, as it would have to be a Pentium 4 or older.

Secondly, as far as I know your Windows license is good for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. If the disk you bought is for the 64-bit version, you can still download the 32-bit version from the Microsoft website and install it with the product key you already have. You do have to pay attention to whether you're getting the Home or Pro version.

18 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

The key works with either 32bit or 64bit. They key also only works on one system.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

The key works with either 32bit or 64bit. They key also only works on one system.

only one? what? i thought it worked for more than one? 

3 hours ago, Legolessed said:

What is your system?

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What is your system?

im building it. i just realized that it does in fact support 64 bit. derp

2 hours ago, typographie said:

First of all, if you can install 64-bit Windows on a system, it's not a 32-bit system. Actual 32-bit CPUs cannot run 64-bit code, you'll get an error message. It seems very unlikely you're still using 32-bit hardware, as it would have to be a Pentium 4 or older

Actually, because Intel is being Intel, the early Atom CPUs where 32-bit only. But I doubt anyone has such computer, because you would be pulling your hair out from the slowness of such system. First gen Atom was truly awful. Each generation almost they got much better from the previous in either or both: CPU and GPU, not to mention 64-bit support, and multiple cores.

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

Yea. You can't buy (new) a 32-bit x86 CPU these days. They are all 64-bit, and minimum dual core.

Is there some reason why you are wondering dual booting 64bit and 32bit windows? Because that is what I thought original question was about. If not, it has been answered.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 24/04/2016 at 5:55 PM, Legolessed said:

All CPU's for the last decade have been able to handle 64-bit instructions.

32-bit systems died with the Athlon XP and 2004 Pentium 4's

If you try and run a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit only system, it will probably crash constantly with memory allocation errors whenever it tries to execute a 64-bit instruction.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 4/24/2016 at 8:57 PM, typographie said:

First of all, if you can install 64-bit Windows on a system, it's not a 32-bit system. Actual 32-bit CPUs cannot run 64-bit code, you'll get an error message. It seems very unlikely you're still using 32-bit hardware, as it would have to be a Pentium 4 or older.

Secondly, as far as I know your Windows license is good for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. If the disk you bought is for the 64-bit version, you can still download the 32-bit version from the Microsoft website and install it with the product key you already have. You do have to pay attention to whether you're getting the Home or Pro version.

Some 775 CPUs are 32bit only

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.