Google Cardboard VR + Steam VR SDK = cheap VR

Now every day it seems more people are coming out showing that they are working on x y and z using the SDK to make all manner of cool things but this recently caught my eye.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleCardboard/comments/4fcayx/steamvr_games_coming_soon_to_your_cardboard_with/

Now this is never going to be the best thing in the world in context of the rift or vive but to those with an interest in VR and who wont be able to go all out on a vive at the moment its promising stuff indeed and interesting to see how this develops. From the comments the first versions are Andriod with iOS coming at a later date.

cheers,

Lewis

holy fluffernuter

I have a cardboard. but my lgg4 is too big for it xD
I need a bigger one, or a smaller smartphone

that would be perfect to play DCS world

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Might have to try this and see if it works for Project Cars... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

wow this is cool, anyone know of a cardboard that fitts the OnePlus 2?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If they will implement motion tracking this will best entry level vr  headset

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

6 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Might have to try this and see if it works for Project Cars... 

I see no reason why it wont. We got pcars working through steamVR with an oculus DK2 just fine.

does it work with my iPhone 6S? lol

Suddenly I became interested in google cardboard after having no prior interest. lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 minutes ago, multifrag said:

If they will implement motion tracking this will best entry level vr  headset

Smartphone's have motion sensors built in bruh.

Another one is already out by the way guys, look up TrinusVR. It works with many games, and videos.

Almost as cool as my temps  

2 hours ago, Benergy said:

Another one is already out by the way guys, look up TrinusVR. It works with many games, and videos.

They don't have the api ready to use it. That's why I said if they implement it. They do have it on the roadmap + ios port

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I have a Cardboard and a phone that (barely) fits in it, awesome. So I might have a cheap VR headset soon then.

I ended up with a GearVR, is there a way for that to be compatible? I've seen some things which are supposed to be "cardboard compatible" by showing the two displays and doing gyro tracking, but putting the phone into the Gear VR automatically launches Samsung's stuff instead.

Isn't a phone more expensive than a VR headset?

On a more serious note, this could indeed work. However, if your phone has sub-optimal support for motion tracking. I suggest a reset button which centers the view, so that if the picture falls out of sync. I.e you are looking forward, but the in game camera is looking to the left. You can press the button to put it at 0/0 degrees.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

6 hours ago, Benergy said:

They're not good enough on their own. The real VR devices have both motion sensors and tracking sensors. 

11 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

They're not good enough on their own. The real VR devices have both motion sensors and tracking sensors. 

You'd be surprised, it performs pretty well for the poor man's VR

1 hour ago, Kamil said:

I ended up with a GearVR, is there a way for that to be compatible? I've seen some things which are supposed to be "cardboard compatible" by showing the two displays and doing gyro tracking, but putting the phone into the Gear VR automatically launches Samsung's stuff instead.

Gear VR is great with the new 2K screens. Check this out: http://oddsheepgames.com/?topic=gear-vr-usb

Basically if you get a right angle USB cable, you can use the headset without plugging the phone in, therefore enabling you to use any VR app, including TrinusVR over USB for playing PC games (I got this working with my S7, can take pics if you need help with it).

Almost as cool as my temps  

This is what i thought cardboard, samsung thing etc was when i first heard about them. Then i found it wasn't i was dumb founded why this wasn't a thing.

1 hour ago, Benergy said:

You'd be surprised, it performs pretty well for the poor man's VR

Gear VR is great with the new 2K screens. Check this out: http://oddsheepgames.com/?topic=gear-vr-usb

Basically if you get a right angle USB cable, you can use the headset without plugging the phone in, therefore enabling you to use any VR app, including TrinusVR over USB for playing PC games (I got this working with my S7, can take pics if you need help with it).

Looks straightforward enough to me. I don't have a right angle cable right now, but I'll keep that in mind if I decide I need it.

EDIT: I did a little more looking around and I found an app called "CB Enabler for Gear VR" that seems to do the trick at some level. Unfortunately the Gear VR USB port doesn't seem to be a pure passthrough so it doesn't get recognized by my PC, but for things that don't need a wired connection it should work fine. It can also be done with Package Disabler which has a free version that I'm told works fine, but I had a bunch of Play Store credit lying around so I went with the simpler solution.