Will this fan work?

rcarlos243

I have an EVGA Hadron Air and the power supply fan in it is extremely noisy.

The fan on the PSU is called Delta FFB0412VHN which is a 12V 0.24A and uses a 2wire power

http://www.cwc-group.com/ffb0412vhn1.html

I just bought a Noctua NF-A4x10 (yes I know it is not as thick) which according to specs is 5V 0.05A and has adapter for 2wire power.

My question is:

-Will the Noctua FAN work with the existing wires on the power supply if I replace the Delta FAN?

-If not then how about if I remove the Delta FAN from the PSU and put the Noctua FAN in the PSU (but without using the 2 wire inside the PSU and instead connect the FAN through motherboard power header instead) will the PSU still work (like will it refuse to work if no FAN is detected)? 

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

I believe that the noctua will work with the existing wires, but the RPM may not be as high as normal. Connecting the fan to the motherboard would be advantageous as it would allow you to control the speed if your motherboard supports that.

Its automatic, just press this button!

5 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

power supply fan in it is extremely noisy.

replace that psu then, problem solved!!! :P

6 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Will the Noctua FAN work with the existing wires on the power supply if I replace the Delta FAN?

if you plan to open up the psu to swap the fan, just dont

unless you're an electrician or something `-`

If not then how about if I remove the Delta FAN from the PSU and put the Noctua FAN in the PSU (but without using the 2 wire inside the PSU and instead connect the FAN through motherboard power header instead) will the PSU still work (like will it refuse to work if no FAN is detected)? 

just replace the psu, small fans will always be noisy because they have to spin at high rpm to push enough air to cool something

i recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 series `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The fan on the PSU is called Delta FFB0412VHN which is a 12V 0.24A and uses a 2wire power

I just bought a Noctua NF-A4x10 (yes I know it is not as thick) which according to specs is 5V 0.05A and has adapter for 2wire power.

My question is:

-Will the Noctua FAN work with the existing wires on the power supply if I replace the Delta FAN?

-If not then how about if I remove the Delta FAN from the PSU and put the Noctua FAN in the PSU (but without using the 2 wire inside the PSU and instead connect the FAN through motherboard power header instead) will the PSU still work (like will it refuse to work if no FAN is detected)? 

While the noctua may work, you may kill your power supply in the process, or the fan, because the noctua would run at 2 times the speed it was intended to run, and pull in alot more current then the delta fan.

But removing the fan, and connecting the noctua to your motherboard should be fine.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

just replace the psu, small fans will always be noisy because they have to spin at high rpm to push enough air to cool something

That means spending money you potentially don't have to. Leave the PSU unplugged for an hour before opening it, as well as using an insulated screwdriver to discharge the larger capacitors, and you should be fine (although this will void your warranty).

3 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

That means spending money you potentially don't have to. Leave the PSU unplugged for an hour before opening it, as well as using an insulated screwdriver to discharge the larger capacitors, and you should be fine (although this will void your warranty).

i wont recommend dangerous stuff unless that person knows what he/she is doing

whatever amount of money it cost to get a good psu isnt worth your life

i repeat, do this only if you're familiar with electronics

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i wont recommend dangerous stuff unless that person knows what he/she is doing

whatever amount of money it cost to get a good psu isnt worth your life

i repeat, do this only if you're familiar with electronics

If you don't feel comfortable doing it don't. But with the proper precautions as I mentioned, Its about as safe as you can get with electronics.

If the connectors are same, it will work. I wouldn't worry about overvolting fan at this point. Most fans are made for running at 12V anyway. PSU will work whether it has fan or not. So you can connect it to mobo for speed regulating or let PSU handle it.

As for opening PSU. You will void warranty by doing so. And I suggest you are very careful. Like drain PSU before even touching casing with screwdriver. I followed few guides on how to change PSU fan (decided not to do it in the end because I have very weak soldering skills). You should too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, Moonzy said:

It's an EVGA Hadron, doesn't it have a non standard 500W PSU?

EDIT: Yeah it uses a u1 form factor PSU or something like that. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

It's an EVGA Hadron, doesn't it have a non standard 500W PSU?

mmm now that you pointed it out, it does `-`

my bad then, but the fan is super thick though

Spoiler

innerpsufan_small.jpg

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:38 PM, rcarlos243 said:

My question is:

I believe any fan with the proper size will work, Since its only 2 wires, so there is no RPM monitor or PWM option. The fan will be directly controlled via voltage.