Tesla Model S gets a facelift for the 2016 model year

Source: https://www.teslamotors.com/models

Well, there isn't really much to quote. The front looks more like the Model X and Model 3 and it's lacking the plastic grille for improved aerodynamics. The rear of the car didn't get much of an update (if any, actually) yet somehow the side view is now a whole lot better with a more sloping nose. Interior wise the Model S is largely the same, with a few new dashboard inlays called Dark Ash Wood (replacing the solid piano black) and Figured Ash Wood which is more of a brown-ish wood. As for the technical things, the Model S gets the same HEPA Air Filter found in the Model X and full adaptive head lighting. You can order one yourself right now and get the facelifted version right away here (if you have the cash): https://www.teslamotors.com/models/design?redirect=no

Adaptive Lighting

Model S now features full LED adaptive headlamps. Besides enhancing the already great styling, they also boost safety: 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights improve visibility at night, especially on winding roads.

HEPA Air Filter

Model S now features a Medical grade HEPA air filtration system, which removes at least 99.97% of particulate exhaust pollution and effectively all allergens, bacteria and other contaminants from cabin air.

Here, have some pictures (taken from the Tesla configurator website hence the lower resolution).

Tesla-Model-S-2017-04.jpg

model_s_rear_34.jpg?itok=4KLO_R7h

Tesla-Model-S-2017-02.jpg

Tesla-Model-S-2017-03.jpg

And for a brilliant high-res:

Tesla-Model-S-2017MY1.jpg

And a comparison of the old and new face:

tesla-update-2016-279.jpg?itok=E1SMmIM2

I think it's an overall design improvement. The side view of the car looks a lot better with that continuous front bumper. Even though I didn't really like the front on the Model X with that Tesla logo poking into the front bumper it somehow fits on the Model S. Now it's waiting on the review videos showing this thing in more detail. I would've loved to see some other features "ported" over from both the Model X and 3 though, like some new wheels and the giant glass roof.

EDIT added more official press photos. Also, according to cnbc, the changes go into production today, so I guess anybody who ordered one earlier but did not have their car being produced yet will get the new look.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/12/teslas-model-s-getting-a-facelift.html

more edits: the Model X has also been updated with a slightly larger base battery of 75 kWh instead of the 70 kWh.

https://www.teslamotors.com/modelx/design

Ye ole' train

I still don't think it's an attractive car. It was boring before, but now it looks like they've stuck the nose of a sports car on the front of a Mazda 6. 

If they styled the rest of the car like the front, it could look good. 

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I still don't think it's an attractive car. It was boring before, but now it looks like they've stuck the nose of a sports car on the front of a Mazda 6. 

If they styled the rest of the car like the front, it could look good. 

but mazda 6 is attractive... :|

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

but mazda 6 is attractive... :|

On its own, it looks okay. With a sporty front, it looks weird. 

From the back, it's still boring, which shouldn't be the case for such an expensive car. Tesla has a lot going for them, but the exterior styling is not a strong point IMO. 

Something like an Aston Martin Rapide S is how a 4 door high performance car should look. I actually like the new front of the Tesla S, but it looks out of place with the rest of the car. 

Aston-Martin-Rapide-S-2015-Side-View.jpg

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

From the back, it's still boring, which shouldn't be the case for such an expensive car. Tesla has a lot going for them, but the exterior styling is not a strong point IMO. 

Well I personally like how it looks. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Smexy

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Well I personally like how it looks. 

If they change the back and middle of the car to fit in better with the front, it could look good. They should look at Aston Martin for some inspiration IMO (edited post above).

Or something like the Maserati Quattroporte. 

Looks good, I wonder if I'll ever see the face lift on the road.

Lord of Helium.

15 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If they change the back and middle of the car to fit in better with the front, it could look good. They should look at Aston Martin for some inspiration IMO (edited post above).

I think it will always look at little out of place because Tesla doesn't want to trade space for looks.

Spoiler

This is more in line with the Model X front and kinda resembles the Model 3 look, I wish they went the other route however and gave the X and 3 a similar style to the S. The old front remembers me of the fierce animal that the Model S is, now it looks like an average sedan.

One can't argue about taste though.

144Hz goodness

1 hour ago, Burusutazu said:

Looks good, I wonder if I'll ever see the face lift on the road.

I just did a quick configuration, if you order now it'll arrive in June. So expect them on the road around then, unless orders before the official announcement by other people are somehow converted to the new car, then expect them earlier.

Ye ole' train

30 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I just did a quick configuration, if you order now it'll arrive in June. So expect them on the road around then, unless orders before the official announcement by other people are somehow converted to the new car, then expect them earlier.

I don't mean it in that way. Living in a rural area means not many people buy Tesla's. There is only one Tesla owner in about 40 miles that I know of, and I have only seen that car twice in 5 years.

Lord of Helium.

1 minute ago, Burusutazu said:

I don't mean it in that way. Living in a rural area means not many people buy Tesla's. There is only one Tesla owner in about 40 miles that I know of, and I have only seen that car twice in 5 years.

These are pretty much city cars since that's where the charging stations are. Wait until the Model 3 arrives and you'll have a much higher chance of seeing one.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

So if you want them to change the back, middle, and front of the car, then you basically want a different car altogether. 

i7-4790K | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | Corsair 350D | 256GB Crucial MX100 / 1TB WD Blue | Corsair RM 650 | NH-U12S
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XN2dC | http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Deil_Grist

35 minutes ago, Deil Grist said:

So if you want them to change the back, middle, and front of the car, then you basically want a different car altogether. 

i dont think so. i think he means that the back should be in line with the front. now that he pointed it out,it does look weird. 

a way cheaper audi looks better

I like it. It is what it needs to be and nothing more. And in that sense; it looks great, IMO. 

For those who might say something like "doesn't look right - it should have a front grill" I say; it's a damn electric car! It doesn't need a grill and thus, shouldn't have a "fake" one. Get with the times! ;):P 

I think it's beautiful. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

19 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I like it. It is what it needs to be and nothing more. And in that sense; it looks great, IMO. 

For those who might say something like "doesn't look right - it should have a front grill" I say; it's a damn electric car! It doesn't need a grill and thus, shouldn't have a "fake" one. Get with the times! ;):P 

In fact, adding the front grill makes the car less aerodynamic, and that decreases performance efficiency and speed. They'd be making the car "slower" just to satisfy people who probably won't be satisfied without an ICE anyway... :P

I like it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

48 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Are you sure about that? More than a few electric cars have front mount radiators for cooling the battery packs and motor controllers, I'm not sure if Tesla does or not though.

BatteryCooling_2.jpg

image1.jpg

EDIT: After a bit of digging, yes the Tesla S does indeed have liquid cooled battery packs and a front mount radiator:

lattice-energy-llcon-oct-1-tesla-model-s

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

18 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Are you sure about that? More than a few electric cars have front mount radiators for cooling the battery packs and motor controllers, I'm not sure if Tesla does or not though.

BatteryCooling_2.jpg

image1.jpg

EDIT: After a bit of digging, yes the Tesla S does indeed have liquid cooled battery packs and a front mount radiator:

lattice-energy-llcon-oct-1-tesla-model-s

If you look at the press photo with the new red Model S you'll see a big intake at the front of the car. Behind that is a clearly visible radiator, both for the battery and the AC.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

If you look at the press photo with the new red Model S you'll see a big intake at the front of the car. Behind that is a clearly visible radiator, both for the battery and the AC.

I saw that but wasnt sure it wasnt the AC condenser, didnt want to make assumptions ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I saw that but wasnt sure it wasnt the AC condenser, didnt want to make assumptions ;)

Well obviously it won't be in the same cooling loop but the AC condenser is either directly behind the front air scoop or in one of the side intakes.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Well obviously it won't be in the same cooling loop but the AC condenser is either directly behind the front air scoop or in one of the side intakes.

I dont think you understood... 

The existence of a heat exchanger in the photo does not necessarily mean the batteries/motor controller are liquid cooled, it could have well been an AC condenser. That is why I did not take the pic alone as proof that the car does indeed have a radiator. 

5 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Something like an Aston Martin Rapide S is how a 4 door high performance car should look. I actually like the new front of the Tesla S, but it looks out of place with the rest of the car. 

the tesla looks better than the Rapide S... if the front grill was a lot more similar to the vantage then yes